Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (Maybe not-so-)quick help for a linux noob? (Solved)  (Read 12496 times)

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Maybe not-so-)quick help for a linux noob?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »

You could try 40d, or one of the previous 0.31.x versions, or even the windows version under Wine. That's the closest to legacy linux there is, I think ...

Good luck figuring out the issue; I don't have any idea. ... okay, one idea: does Ubuntu have a way to force a disk-check on start-up? I know that it does automatically every 20 or 30 times a disk is mounted, but simply waiting isn't so helpful. Assuming that it's a problem with way the file is showing up on-disk, that would probably be the thing to do. Of course, that's probably not the problem, as if so copying the file should have fixed it ... hopefully someone else will know what to do.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 03:53:59 pm »

Alright, thanks a bunch for your help.  :)

Edit: Oh geez... I grabbed the linux version of 31.04 and tried it. Its df file calls dwarfort.exe in the df_linux directory (instead of Dwarf_Fortress in the libs directory) and that gives the same 'file does not exist' error. This is just weird and I feel like I've set something up wrong.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:00:20 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »

Weird.  What version of Ubuntu are you using?  (Oh wait, you're using WUBI aren't you?)

Even the linux version of DF works under wine.  That's how I run it.

I've never used WUBI,  but I assume that's a sort of dashboard that Ubuntu puts over windows?  or are you doing an actual Dual boot?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 04:11:14 pm »

Well I'm assuming it's a full dual boot (it gives me the OS option when I boot up the computer and everything), but I have to admit I don't know all the details. I'm mainly using Ubuntu for the convenience of Unix on an otherwise Windows machine, so I COULD boot up Windows when I want to play DF, I was just hoping to get as much as I could out of Linux.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

rfry11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »

Can you run through these steps for me real quick?

-Boot up into Ubuntu
-Download 0.31.06 (new update) from here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_31_06_linux.tar.bz2
-Open it with the Archive Manager, throw the df_linux folder in your home folder, so the path should look like /USERNAME/home/df_linux/
-Open the Terminal (CTRL+ALT+T), cd df_linux/
-Run the command bash df

And that should work, that worked for me on Ubuntu 10.04
You did indeed install Ubuntu correctly, if it's asking you what to boot into you did it right.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »

You could try editing the script to cd directly to the df directory... Dunno why it would work, but it's worth a try.

Example script (.06):
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
cd /opt/df_linux/ #DF directory
export SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS=1 # Work around for bug in Debian/Ubuntu SDL patch.
#export SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=1    # Centre the screen.  Messes up resizing.
exec ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress

EDIT: Reread the OP. No way this would work imo, but I'm out of ideas  :'(

That is a strange problem...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:08:06 pm by HideousBeing »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »

Hmm tried the suggestions from both of you and no luck. Still 'no such file or directory'. I'll probably figure it out eventually accidentally... Thanks for the suggestions.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 06:23:22 pm »

Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Ubuntu?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 06:26:07 pm »

Oh geez. I think I forgot to specifically get 32-bit stuff... I'm on a 64-bit system. So... does anyone have a thread up about what to look for for the 32-bit libraries? Which ones do I need?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:28:47 pm by Bluerobin427 »

ojd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 06:31:38 pm »

I think you are running 64-bit Ubuntu.  The Dwarf Fortress executable is 32-bit.  The solution is to install the 32-bit libraries. Try install ia32-libs

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »

Yeah I'm definitely on 64-bit Ubuntu and I forgot about needing 32-bit libraries. Downloading now... hope this works.

Edit: Ooh... new error: "./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Edit2: IT WORKS! Just needed lib32ncursesw5 too. This forum has all sorts of information buried in it... just have to use google to find any of it. Thanks for the help everyone!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:40:01 pm by Bluerobin427 »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: (Maybe not-so-)quick help for a linux noob? (Solved)
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 05:28:21 am »

"Can't find" still seems like an odd error to get, when it actually meant "can't load".

Oh well, that's linux for you.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 06:49:46 am »

You get that error if you're missing ld.so.. the way linux works, when you run a program it doesn't actually start that program, it starts ld.so which is then told to run your program. So "/bin/ls" is implicitly translated to "/lib/ld.so /bin/ls".

Which means that, if ld.so doesn't exist, you get a "program not found" error instead of something sane. Pity, that.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 07:47:52 am »

It could at least say "ld.so not found" in that case.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 07:51:18 am »

Yup, half the 'fun' of fixing error messages is figuring out what they REALLY mean.
Pages: 1 [2]