Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.05 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 85147 times)

Brzhk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.05 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:35 am »

When is 'fixing the ranged weapons usage' scheduled?

I'm quite attached to this, my fortress and its fortification are just useless without it :(

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:56 am »

Bug #774 recently fixed:
Quote from: Toady One, BugID#774
There are two issues here. One, which is a bug I've fixed now for 0.31.06, is that they would trade out their equipment for any newly made item of equal value. That is very bad, of course, and leads to constant shirking of duties.

The other matter is just the frequency of the updates. People will want their dwarves with the best possible equipment and they also will want them to not bother with minor upgrades if it means wandering off. This is more subtle and also a lesser non-bug issue, so I'm going to mark this report as resolved and note the other issue down for consideration as a rebalance for whenever it comes up.
Regarding the second issue, that seems like it could be an arsenal dwarf setting that the player then balances to his needs. Some default value would need to be in place for forts that have yet to meet the arsenal dwarf population requirements.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2010, 11:58:44 am »

(...)
The other matter is just the frequency of the updates. People will want their dwarves with the best possible equipment and they also will want them to not bother with minor upgrades if it means wandering off. This is more subtle and also a lesser non-bug issue, so I'm going to mark this report as resolved and note the other issue down for consideration as a rebalance for whenever it comes up.
Regarding the second issue, that seems like it could be an arsenal dwarf setting that the player then balances to his needs. Some default value would need to be in place for forts that have yet to meet the arsenal dwarf population requirements.

Yeah good idea with arsenal dwarf setting. Personally I would like to set my dwarves to immediatelly perform even minor upgrades when in inactive or training mode, but do only the absolutely necessary equipment changes when given move or attack order.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »

(...)

Yeah good idea with arsenal dwarf setting. Personally I would like to set my dwarves to immediatelly perform even minor upgrades when in inactive or training mode, but do only the absolutely necessary equipment changes when given move or attack order.
Have a weighted function of the current gear's utility value and the optimal gear's (what's been assigned). Have a few thresholds specified for certain situations.

I'm training, already have chain armor, I should have better -> threshold is low, pick up new gear.
There's an attack order, I'm in clothes, I should have plate -> threshold is high, but the result is above, pick up gear.
There's an attack order, I have OK gear, I should have slightly better -> high threshold, result of function is below, go kill them dudes.

Give the player control over that value.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:00 pm »

Utility functions are neat, and DF's getting to the point where giving the dwarves an explicit one would actually work. There's no need to give the player control over it, though; a well-implemented one would take the dwarves' personality into account, so the players would be able to control them by picking the right dwarf for the military.

Personality should matter, here.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2010, 12:53:04 pm »

Whoo! Didn't take anywhere near as long as expected... I'm still holding out until supermigrants and uberorequantities are fixed though.

Managed to release it on my birthday too. Bet that wasn't planned. XD
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »

Does anyone have a link to a mayday .05 download or easier instructions on how to DIY?

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:28 pm »

I dont like caves in my fortress. So i set CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:0.
But then I do not get any plant products on embark, no seeds no plants no drinks ...

Wouldn't that be a feature of CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:0, not a bug?

Why not just set the number to something very low, so you have almost no caves.

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2010, 05:58:37 pm »

I'm using windows XP SP3, GeForce 7600 GS, 1360x768 resolution
I'm seeing the following problems consistently in this version:

- DF switches my desktop color mode to 8bit (which isn't even an option, normally)
- The game doesn't exit cleanly; I have to kill it from the task manager even when I choose quit from the main menu.
- On a fresh install, I turned off the init movies but made no other changes, and neither standard or partial modes work.  I just see the words "slave to armok".  If I use the error keys, I can see the other menu options sometimes highlighted.  This does not happen in 2D mode.
- Going fullscreen in 2D mode crashes the game.  In 3D mode, I receive a message stating that there are no modes available for 1360x768 (possibly related to the 8-bit color issue?)
- Using alt+tab when DF runs in window mode seems to cause the game to lock up if the game is doing something that takes a long time (eg generating a world, saving a game).  At least, I can't return to the game using alt+tab or clicking the taskbar icon.  However, I did alt+tab while saving, and after waiting 10 minutes killed the process -- I was able to reload the save and didn't notice any obvious problems with the saved game.

I'll happily provide any other information about my system; simply ask.

As it turns out, the alt+tab issue only happens when the game is doing a long-running task like saving the game... that's generally when I alt+tab.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:41:19 pm by iambap »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »

Code: [Select]
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(w, h, 32, flags);...how does that produce an 8-bit color mode, I ask? *sweatdrop*

Er. Okay. First off, try updating/reinstalling your graphics drivers.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2010, 06:49:12 pm »

Thanks Toady!
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2010, 07:43:11 pm »

Code: [Select]
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(w, h, 32, flags);...how does that produce an 8-bit color mode, I ask? *sweatdrop*

Er. Okay. First off, try updating/reinstalling your graphics drivers.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've updated the video drivers to the latest version available to from the nvidia support site and all of the issues I'm seeing still occur.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2010, 08:06:14 pm »

And that was pretty much my only idea. Hmm.

Check compatibility settings for DF, I guess. There's a setting for forcing 8-bit color mode there, which shouldn't be set, but it's hard to see how it'd get set by accident.

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »

And that was pretty much my only idea. Hmm.

Check compatibility settings for DF, I guess. There's a setting for forcing 8-bit color mode there, which shouldn't be set, but it's hard to see how it'd get set by accident.

Turns out that was it... there were a number of compatibility options turned on, somehow.  Now, all my problems have been solved.  Thanks!

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:39 pm »

I went from one of the earlier 2010 releases straight to this. Seems to run okay but I'm having a lot of graphical weirdness. Things from windows sticking after the windows are closed, window frames disappearing randomly, some text getting cut off... things of that nature. Suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18