Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: User manual  (Read 1718 times)

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
User manual
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:38:00 am »

Considering how busy the dev team is on the game itself, I was thinking that us users could throw togeather a manual in text/pdf format to make the game a bit easier to understand and play; in some cases ? just doesn't cut it.

So, if this is a good idea, and if it hasn't already been proposed, we should set up a section in the wiki for this (although the wiki is already a good source of information, ti would still be nice to complile it into one document), with headers representing the sections of the manual, such as (in some particular order, but in no means final):

Introduction
*Getting Started*
What the symbols mean
Menus
Introduction to Designations
Introduction to Tasks
Introduction to Buildings
Farming
Minerals and gems
Pets & Training
Introduction to Trade
An example of early fortress
*For advanced players*
Designations in more detail
Tasks in more detail
Buildings in more detail
Trade in more detail
Pets in more detail
Nobles & pleasing them
The economy
Raising an army

And yeah, lets try to keep the getting started section as brief as possible, so the user can fiddle around with the interface without getting scared of having all their dwarves die. There are alot of sub headers that need to be added, but I'll edit them in once I get a confirmation that this isn't already being done.
Also, we can scrap all the "Introduction to", and "more detail"; I just put it there to keep things clear.

[ August 22, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

Oh! A completely unrelated question: Will lava burn through wooden doors? I have an idea for a lava trap, but I'd need a permanetly closed wooden door for it.

[ August 22, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: User manual
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:06:00 am »

Lava should burn through wooden doors if it doesn't already... Afraid i can't help you with much of anything, except for the examples of early fortresses.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

I'd first like to know if this is already being done/ has been done before doing anything else; I have quite a few ideas, but I dont want to bother typing them all out if there's no need

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 03:08:00 am »

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

Has pretty much all the info we've gotten so far.   You are encouraged to feel free to add to it!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 03:29:00 am »

An off-line manual is a much better idea than a wiki.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:41:00 am »

Sure, it is. But a wiki is a very powerfull way to gather knowledge from everybody.

Once the wiki quite full, it is probably much easier to extract some info from it, or even bits of text, and compile it on a offline user guide.

So, I don't think that these two things are against each other, but just complete themselves.

mobius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:14:00 am »

there seem to be 2 wikis as I could gather from the SA thread

the previously listed http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

and http://dwarffortress.elwiki.com/Main_Page

they both seem to have very similar content and I get the impression they are still both "active".  so I'm confused which is the "official unofficial" wiki.  I wanted to add some shit, but has it really been agreed upon yet?

ElWiki seems to be a free web hosting service so I get the impression it may be slightly more unreliable, but I have no idea

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 11:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flap:
<STRONG>Sure, it is. But a wiki is a very powerfull way to gather knowledge from everybody.

Once the wiki quite full, it is probably much easier to extract some info from it, or even bits of text, and compile it on a offline user guide.

So, I don't think that these two things are against each other, but just complete themselves.</STRONG>

Uh, yeah, but the information itself is scattered; you still have to search for it. Also, new users wont nessisarily say "Hmm... I have no idea what's going on... I'll check the wiki!!!", mainly because they probably wont even know it exsists.

Anyways, I'll set up a page on the wiki for the manual project. Feel free to join in the madness.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:23:00 am »

Yes that's why I tell that both are usefull.

This one is the official wiki : http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>An off-line manual is a much better idea than a wiki.</STRONG>

Yeah I'd rather have an off-line manual, or at least a FAQ, than have a wiki. I could print it out, plop it in a binder, and not have to switch back and forth while fullscreen.  :D

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 10:30:00 pm »

Okay, I'll post up the outline on the wiki tomorrow, and bump this thread once I do so; Everyone who can, please help out with this.