Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Options Question!  (Read 1433 times)

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark Options Question!
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »

In the init file there is no longer any " [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:FINDER] : underground rivers "

How can I make it so I can see where magma and rivers are on the embark map? If its possible.

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Options Question!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:42:28 pm »

*kinda spoiler-ish*
Underground magma and water show up on basically every map now. Just keep digging down.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:43:23 pm »

In the init file there is no longer any " [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:FINDER] : underground rivers "

How can I make it so I can see where magma and rivers are on the embark map? If its possible.
Caverns.

Magma sea.

Magma and caverns are on every site. Thus making magma pools, magma pipes, underground rivers, and underground pools useless.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:49 pm »

Great help guys! Thanks! Im a little slow with these new updates since I quit for a while.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:01:22 am »

Caverns.

Magma sea.

Magma and caverns are on every site. Thus making magma pools, magma pipes, underground rivers, and underground pools useless.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Not useless: the magma sea is below the caverns, which can be a great deal of z-levels. And pumping magma 161 levels up requires some logistics. Whereas a magma pipe (that comes all the way to the surface, or even the first cavern) really simplifies things.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 07:11:03 am »

Yep.
The search function is entirely useless now.
I totally would want the old one back, showing me if theres magma reachable in the first years.

... How long have I been away?

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:23:45 am »

true, though you could just look for a volcano which is visible on the map,  burrows work well for this though

simply dig out a smelting area 6-10 beds and a dining room, while hauling bars 100z levels up is annoying building a function pumping system is almost  impossible, i tried to do pumping on only 2 or 3 z levels it takes a lot of power (4 or 5 wind generators).   pumping a hundred + z levels would require more power than is likely possible to generate no to mention a lot of proper digging and other parts.  long story short find a nice volcano
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:35 am »

If you want lots of volcanoes be sure to design a new world with the number of volcanoes turned up. It's not only having magma at the surface that matters, its having magma 50z levels over the surface that really does.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit