Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Create Unknown Material??  (Read 1646 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Create Unknown Material??
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have no Idea what i'd be creating either.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create Unknown Material??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:52:24 pm »

You'd be creating crafts, goblets, instruments, and toys in "unknown material."

My only idea is that perhaps you were modding and accidentally created a new "unknown material."

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:22:36 pm »

This doesn't require modding.  Workshops sometimes start you out in a menu offering you to build things from unknown material.  It seems to be random, I haven't done enough testing to determine what actual conditions trigger it.  If you see this, press 'escape' and it will back you up to the normal menu for that workshop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:26:53 pm »

I always see this while making glass.
If you make green glass blocks, then later come back to the workshop, it seems to remember that you were making blocks but not what kind so it says Unknown Material.
Same for the Metalsmith - making cages out of Unknown Material.
I don't know what happens if you select this... I always escape back to the main menu.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:30:49 pm »

I always see this while making glass.
If you make green glass blocks, then later come back to the workshop, it seems to remember that you were making blocks but not what kind so it says Unknown Material.
Same for the Metalsmith - making cages out of Unknown Material.
I don't know what happens if you select this... I always escape back to the main menu.
You can either have trendomous amounts of Fun, or win the game.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:42:11 pm »

Interestingly, glass is one of the very few materials in DF not present as any sort of material raw file; template, inorganic, creature-specific, or otherwise.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:19:05 pm »

OH oh this happened to me like 5 times. In shops that you have to pick a material. Like lets say silver, then pick. Sometimes it will open up and then just be like make unknown material pick. Also happens in glass production to me aswell. I'm using no mods at all. And it happened in 0.31.3 or .4 to my knowledge. I never did it, but I assume they would just use closest possible material.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz