Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badlands: Post-apocalyptic interactive fiction  (Read 2842 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badlands: Post-apocalyptic interactive fiction
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »

A Post-Apocalyptic Adventure Across the United States

I am working on the title, but for now that's what the project is called.

For the past week or more I've been putting together the beginnings of an interactive fiction game in Inform 7. I've been developing it with Roadwar 2000, Wasteland, and Oregon Trail in mind. What I'd like to have eventually is a system where you and your group navigate the United States collecting supplies, interacting with survivors, exploring the map/various other locations, and generally trying to get by. When I get most of this stuff fleshed out a bit more I'll create a region or two to wander around in and explore and let people mess around with it.

Implemented:
  • Overland Map (320x120) - The overland map displays an entire region, which will contain at most 200 rooms. The players sprite is updated on the map each turn based on the room they are currently in. I can assign other wandering characters their own sprites and the map will update their movements as well, but you will only see them if they are in the region you are in.
  • Day/Night Cycle - The overland map changes its tint based on the time of day in-game. While cosmetic at the moment, it will no doubt play a part when I add in things that can happen at night.
  • Wandering NPCs - Characters will randomly move from room to room and with some tweaking I can have characters roam randomly, patrol a set area, or go directly for a specific goal.

Work in Progress:
  • Terrain System - Defining each room in the game under one of several terrain types. Terrain will effect movement speed and encounters/events.
  • Encounters/Events - The terrain of the room you're in determines the types of people you might run across, situations that occur, etc. This is probably going to be various dice rolls associated with entering a room for the first time, and then having those rooms reset after a couple of days in game so things can keep happening if you go back.
  • Combat - Not sure where I am going to go with this at the moment, will probably be abstracted to keep it simple.
  • Journal System - In-game player notebook that keeps track of events that have happened, writing it to an external text file separate of the game, so if people want to post their adventures they can. Will probably act as a graveyard system, being able to view past characters/groups.

Screenshot:

The graphics, at the moment, are from Roadwar 2000 while I am still testing things.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Badlands: Post-apocalyptic interactive fiction
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:48 pm »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Sounds cool.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:59:15 pm »

Woah, I'm working on a similar project right now. Luckily, Inform games are different enough that I don't expect any competition. ;)
Seriously though. This looks really cool. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »

Going by the screenshot alone (cant be arsed to read), this is something i would play to death.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:08:31 pm »

I am working on a similar <themed> project too, but rather a multiplayer pvp-survival game. It looks awesome. Also it's cool how we have similar interests.

Woah, I'm working on a similar project right now. Luckily, Inform games are different enough that I don't expect any competition. ;)
Seriously though. This looks really cool. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Does it have something already done? It would be interesting to follow your development.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 05:35:11 pm »

Well, it all sounds awesome of course.  Is the whole thing going to be monochrome like the screenshot?  Will there be some possibility of settling in a location, or is that the eventual goal?

Regarding the screenshot, obviously it's a work in progress.  But one thing - "void of life" and "swarming with crows".  Ha.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:33:56 pm »

Well, it all sounds awesome of course.  Is the whole thing going to be monochrome like the screenshot?  Will there be some possibility of settling in a location, or is that the eventual goal?

The tileset will probably have subdued colors, I've been experimenting with how everything will look but haven't come up with anything I really like yet.

I think the eventual goal will be at least getting to a location in one piece with enough stuff to be able to start your life over. Maybe settle in an area and then still have to go out and explore and find the needed parts/supplies/people to get things up and running.

Regarding the screenshot, obviously it's a work in progress.  But one thing - "void of life" and "swarming with crows".  Ha.

Yeah, the crows follow that dude so if he moves to another room they'll be there. I forgot that it kinda clashes with the room description I had there. :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:33:31 pm »

I think the eventual goal will be at least getting to a location in one piece with enough stuff to be able to start your life over. Maybe settle in an area and then still have to go out and explore and find the needed parts/supplies/people to get things up and running.
It would be really awesome :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:34:59 pm »

Does it have something already done? It would be interesting to follow your development.

It's a little random-world wasteland game. Engine built, a few thousand lines, and I might do some more soon. I'll post a game as soon as I have something substantial.
And I'd love to watch your work as well... ripping other people off inspiration is a fantastic thing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:39:13 pm by Flaming Dorf »
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 06:14:27 am »

Oh yeah, and the Dad rules. I see now it's Dad At Wasteland? :P
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 07:18:59 am »

Bunch of post-apocalyptic buddies up in here.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 07:37:32 am »

Hey, what do you have in mind for the finished game?

As in, what do you expect the finished game to look like?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 07:02:48 pm »

I have to say, my favorite part of post-apocalyptic games is ammo watching. When bullets are harder to find, it makes using them so much more satisfying.
Many games set in a post-apocalyptic setting implement rare ammunition. I'm sure most people don't like it as much as I do, though. xD

Oh yeah, and the Dad rules. I see now it's Dad At Wasteland? :P
He'd pretty much dominate the entire wasteland.