Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A request for someone who can animate  (Read 2992 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
A request for someone who can animate
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:37:17 pm »

I want someone to make an animation, of the On Crack sort, but with DF instead.

Example:

A minotaur bursts into the room, roars, steals a single prickle berry, roars again, and storms out. The camera cuts to the shop keeper, peeping over the counter.
*static*
A dwarf pulls a lever. Then we get a scene of elves dancing through an entry hall, then MAGMA EVERYWHERE!
*static*
Short scene of a adventurer throwing a tiny pebble and killing a dragon.

[/example]

So, anyone here want to animate something like that?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: A request for someone who can animate
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:14:26 pm »

I have some animating skill (funny you asked). I think I can try to mock something up.

Of course, it's going to be in flash. I have a few DF-related ideas myself.

The concept reminds me of the AMV Hell series as well as Robot Chicken. Probably inspired by it.

Is there any particular style you want? Want it in ASCII or leave that optional? What quality of design do you want as well? That can affect how long it can take me for certain things. I can get distracted with fine details. Even with something as (in)significant as a fluffy wambler.

EDIT:
Added some more ideas. And one other one I might do is record my nephew describe a bizarre creature, use it as a forgotten beast, and even use his recording as a dwarven child describing what he saw.

I think we can use sprites (especially modified) in our own clips as well. Like I would use for Bloodfist in FFIV or FFVI format.

Right now I'm just being an Idea Guy, my schedule seems to be in the way a tad, but any time I have off I'll try to at least get the base sprites and such I would use/work on ready, and try an re-learn some tricks. BTW, what framerate are we going to work with? I'd like it to be as compatible as possible between projects. I was thinking maybe 32 FPS would work well. Smooth enough framerate, plenty of frames to work with, and it can easily be worked on if you want to cut timings shorter, but fit seamlessly. A simple binary-based framerate ought to be suitable.

Oh, and when making loops, make a full loop animation for the amount of frames the loop lasts, delete the final frame. Test to make sure it's consistent.

Example Loop (F= Frame, KF= Keyframe): A 4-frame looping gear, KF1 = 0-degrees, KF4 = 90-degrees flat (should end up looking exactly like KF1, Copy-Paste KF1 if necessary), Convert F3 into KF3, delete KF4, congrats! you have a convincing looping mechanism. Use this actor where you need it.

Example of it in action Right-click to navigate; especially rewind, you'll see the example best. Most if it are 4-frame/keyframe loops (it is 3 frames long, but a seamless 4-framer. SWF was also made in 24 FPS). [brag]And yes, it is mine.[/brag] In the first chapter (where it keeps looping the treads/wheels, you can subtly notice that they are moving in opposite directions. To see it easier, zoom in and drag around the screen near the gear (it slows down the framerate) You will notice it even easier. You'll even notice the topsides of the treads as the tank falls apart follows a similar principle.

EDIT EDIT:
Spoilered some of it to reduce page use. Oh, and more ideas.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
I modified my FPS notes. I did all the math so you don't have to. It should be a great help for the animating.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:22:38 pm by Itnetlolor »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03:55 pm »

Hmm... Bloodfist...

Where might I find nice sketches/etc. for use as a reference for building a 3D model? I'd love to make a video clip of, say, a fly-by, or maybe a pan down the side of the hull...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:02 am »

the cleanup song (same movie) also DF-ed upwith magma.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:04:03 am »

Dammit, I'm usually better at Pivot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:18:05 am »

We should do a collaboration with all the animators of the DF community. I myself am only mediocre. But still. Let's do it.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:50:58 pm »

HOLY JESUS MONKEY THIEVES THATS ALOT OF TEXT
I really don't care, but I don't think ASCII is the way to go. Alot of people use Mayday graphics for a reason. Quality can be downright stick figures for all I care.

Hmm... Bloodfist...

Where might I find nice sketches/etc. for use as a reference for building a 3D model? I'd love to make a video clip of, say, a fly-by, or maybe a pan down the side of the hull...
Itnetlolor has a link to the bloodfist thread in his sig. I checked it out once, and it has some nice pics, but I'm not a big megaproject-er.

Dammit, I'm usually better at Pivot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heh, that's almost exactly what I imagined, but with a few more camera angles (impossible in pivot, I know) and with a bit more time looking at the shopkeeper, for comedic effect.

P.S: What's on his head?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:32:40 pm »

Those appear to be Minotaur horns. Although they seem to be facing the wrong way.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:39:36 pm »

The shopkeeper? A viking helm.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »

HOLY JESUS MONKEY THIEVES THATS ALOT OF TEXT
I really don't care, but I don't think ASCII is the way to go. Alot of people use Mayday graphics for a reason. Quality can be downright stick figures for all I care.

Hmm... Bloodfist...

Itnetlolor has a link to the bloodfist thread in his sig. I checked it out once, and it has some nice pics, but I'm not a big megaproject-er.
I tend to find myself with alot of time, and I might switch between different styles. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have a challenge here and there.

And my megaproject thread does have just about everything you need, including links to the saves you need if you need to use VisFort or the upcoming Obsidian to visualize it. I kinda wanted to make a 3D model of Bloodfist myself, but never found the time to do so. Have fun.

Oh, and if you intend to use the saves, shut off cave-ins first, otherwise there's going to be a large wooden crater upon loading.

EDIT:
Too bad you weren't around for Minecraft when I built Bloodfist in a rather large map. I still have the save though if you want to have a good 1st person tour through it. I'll just need to upload the place first, and maybe PM it to you. It should be obvious to spot. It was made at a 1x scale. 1 MC tile = 1 DF tile. Height was 2.5x (or 3 blocks tall with the half-blocks for the flooring). so you can walk through it. I had to make a few design compromises so you can actually climb inside it.

EDIT EDIT:
See my 1st post above. I made some adjustments that ought to be of some help.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:28:47 pm by Itnetlolor »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »

EDIT:
Too bad you weren't around for Minecraft when I built Bloodfist in a rather large map. I still have the save though if you want to have a good 1st person tour through it. I'll just need to upload the place first, and maybe PM it to you. It should be obvious to spot. It was made at a 1x scale. 1 MC tile = 1 DF tile. Height was 2.5x (or 3 blocks tall with the half-blocks for the flooring). so you can walk through it. I had to make a few design compromises so you can actually climb inside it.

A Minecraft save would be excellent! I'll check out the thread too.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:53:04 pm »

Spoiler: done (click to show/hide)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »

Spoiler: done (click to show/hide)
[/thread]
Thou art I, I art Thou.