Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interpreting Legends Mode  (Read 405 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Interpreting Legends Mode
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:32:38 pm »

Whenever I read through Legends mode, I like to read the descriptions of the gods, titans, demons, and forgotten beasts, and imagine the mythology surrounding them.  It helps make every world and civilization a little more unique.  Here's an example of a pantheon from "The Eternal World".

Torish Shockedknives, dwarven god of chaos, war, and fortresses.
Lurit, mountain goat god of volcanoes and mountains.
Tobul, dwarven goddess of minerals.
Shin, dwarven god of jewels and wealth.
Ono, cave swallow god of weather, sky, sun, fire, and metals.
Angzak Newbud, dwarven goddess of rebirth, death, suicide and murder.
Lor the Lunches of Joking, dwarven goddess of labor, crafts, and dreams.
Ezum, dwarven god of laws, justice, and discipline..
Omtal, dwarven god of freedom.

(There's also a god of persuasion, but who cares?)

I imagine dwarven legends going something like this:
Lurit and Ono were the first beings in the universe, and created the world together.  Ono created the elves and humans, and Lurit created the dwarves.  After a while, they grew bored with their creations, and decided that they needed more personality.  To make this happen, they created and sent down three new gods to influence them:  Torish Shockedknives, Lor the Lunches of Joking, and Ezum.  Ezum favored the humans, and influenced them the most.  Similarly, Lor favored the dwarves.  Torish, the most powerful of the 3, was left with the elves.  However, at some point, he got a grudge against the dwarves.  He forced the elves to become as nondwarvenly as possible, and then decided he would make dwarf life miserable.  First, he he created Angzak Newbud, who introduced mortality and violence to all the races of the world, except for the ones that Torish favored.  He then created the goblins, who would wage war on the dwarves, and the kobolds, who would steal the dwarves' property out of spite.
Lor the Lunches of Joking responded by creating Tobul and Shin, who blessed the dwarves with a special talent for mining.  However, Torish is very powerful, and he still can create chaos for the dwarves by having animals, megabeasts, and other monsters attack them randomly.  This violence forces them to live in fortresses.  I imagine it's also his fault that they're alcohol dependent.
Omtal exists as a messianic figure, who will someday free the dwarves from Torish.

So, what sorts of stories does your Legends mode tell about the gods?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!