Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New building: Barrel  (Read 1464 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
New building: Barrel
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »

What: Allow barrel to be 'b'uilt at a location as building.

What will it do:

Dwarves will fill it with given fluid (water for starters) using buckets, 1 water level per bucket up to 7. It would also collect rain water when outside and would collect ordinary water if dropped from one level above it.

It would be source of water from drinking or for bucket brigade (if set as source in q menu).

When linked to lever and pulled, it would become "open" and leak fluid to adjacent squares.

Why?

Way to collect rain water
Water distribution throught fortress
Irrigation

fluffyblacksword

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: New building: Barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

Nice idea. Nothing that couldn't be achieved in a more Fun (and more dwarfly) way with picks and pumps, but nice idea :)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »

Good, additional utility and versatility of existing objects.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:42:24 pm »

What will it do:

Dwarves will fill it with given fluid (water for starters) using buckets, 1 water level per bucket up to 7. It would also collect rain water when outside and would collect ordinary water if dropped from one level above it.

It would be source of water from drinking or for bucket brigade (if set as source in q menu).

When linked to lever and pulled, it would become "open" and leak fluid to adjacent squares.

Why?

Irrigation
I'll go number every response to the lines of text.

1: Sounds good to FINALLY have them make a water source anywhere. However, this would work a bit better for a workshop that lets you distill water (purify) so it's better to drink. So lets say before they place water in a barrel, it could be purified first... it's not like time is bad enough for them not to know how to make a distillery.
2: Bucket Brigade? Last time i heard of that it mean't fire brigade. So you're thinking about fire coming to the fortress sooner or later?
3-7: I'm not really sure if that would be useful. However, the irrigation part does sound nice.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »

What will it do:

Why?

Irrigation
I'll go number every response to the lines of text.

1: Sounds good to FINALLY have them make a water source anywhere. However, this would work a bit better for a workshop that lets you distill water (purify) so it's better to drink. So lets say before they place water in a barrel, it could be purified first... it's not like time is bad enough for them not to know how to make a distillery.
2: Bucket Brigade? Last time i heard of that it mean't fire brigade. So you're thinking about fire coming to the fortress sooner or later?
3-7: I'm not really sure if that would be useful. However, the irrigation part does sound nice.

1: Actually, that should be matter of settings: Default barrel would accept only fresh water, leaving purification on ingenuity of player. Screw pump distills water btw...

Advanced feature can be that player could enable/enforce contaminants, so for example, barrel would only accept salt water (or magma, or bloodied water or blood or strawbery wine once we get to adcanced fluids arc)

2: Bucket brigade is what players call when you create pond zone and order dwarves to fill it with water (like, say, patch of cavern that you want muddied).

For fire later in fire arc, yeah it could be usefull to have barrels with water around fortress with few buckets laying around.

3: Imagine magma-proof barrels filled with magma, slowly dripping magma down to siegers. Tar barrel making tar puddle outside walls which you can set afire, etc... Controlled way to release fluids that does not take too much space.

4567 are suggested applikcations, not features ...