Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Water appearing out of nowhere

<< < (3/3)

SeekerDarksteel:
Note that it's not the fishing platform that's flooding.  It's the grates and drainage from the grates that's flooding, and flooding up to 7/7 instantaneously.  Yes, the fishing platform does get a few tiles of water occasionally, but nothing like the drainage path.  Let me modify your side-view a bit:

--- Code: ---~~~~~~~~~~~~~      -river (natural waterfall)     
||||||||||||~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~      - waterfall (drainage from indoor waterfall which is operating fine)
||||||||||||~
TTTT||||||  ~
GGGG||||||  ~
............~     -flooding drainage path
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
|||||||||||f~
||||||||||||~~~~~

--- End code ---

It's the '.....' path which is going from no water to filled to 7/7 instantaneously, enough to actually go up one more level.  Literally 30 seconds before those screenshots that drainage path was dry as a bone.  Then 30 seconds of lag and the thing is filled to the brim.

bluefox:
Aha, much clearer now. I've never seen that happen before. If the waterfall is falling down a sheer wall, the most I've seen is mist behind the falls, sometimes water as high as 4/7, but nothing on the scale you're talking about.

It sounds like a bug in the water flow simulation, though I didn't think version 31.05 touched that at all. It would explain your lag spikes - i get a huge spike on my current map when water unfreezes after winter, when all the flow paths have to be calculated. I can't imagine doing that every minute!

And did you mean to show that there's no wall for two z-levels above the drain? Could that screw up water flow at all? I'll need to embark on a waterfall map and try to replicate your results.

I wonder what would happen if you (b)uilt a series of fortifications behind the waterfall?

||||||||||||~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~      - waterfall
||||||||||||~
TTTT||||||||~
GGGG||||||||~      - empy space behind waterfall? Fill this in!
...........F~     - drainage path, now with fortifications
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
|||||||||||f~
||||||||||||~~~~~

--- End code ---

Theoretically, the water would still be able to path, but not *splash*, and thus the drain would only go one way. Only a theory, though; not sure if it will work.

SeekerDarksteel:
The drainage path is only one z level.  I just didn't throw in enough '|'s. 

I'm guessing it's some kind of glitch with pressure/flow, where somehow the water manages to hit the edge and start piling up, getting forced back up the drainage path.  Unfortunately I can't do any testing really because of how rare it occurs.  Hopefully I can catch it again and roll back to the last autosave so I can replicate it reliably.

The only other thing I can think of is that something really screwy is going on with the strainer, because that's the only level that fills other than the drainage path itself.  So either the water is being produced there out of thin air, or its backing up the drainage pipe from the waterfall and happens to just reach the strainer.

Pistolero:

||||||||||||~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~      - waterfall (drainage from indoor waterfall which is operating fine)
||||||||||||~
TTTT||||||  ~
GGGG||||||  ~
............~     -flooding drainage path
|||||||||||.~
|||||||||||.~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
|||||||||||f~
||||||||||||~~~~~

--- End code ---

Surely this would fix it? At least it would confirm something screwy is going on if not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version