Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Water appearing out of nowhere

<< < (2/3) > >>

SeekerDarksteel:
No beach, so its not a wave.  Also not a murky pool. 

The pipe has two connections, one at the top to drain the area that the trap floods (which isn't where the water is entering because that area isn't getting flooded), and one at the bottom which leads out the side of a cliff beneath a waterfall.  I imagine that, theoretically, if something screwy were going on with the waterfall maybe a ton of water built up at the bottom of the waterfall and fed back into the drainage area.   There's another path which opens up at the bottom of the cliff below the path used for the drainage pit, and that path floods a little bit (maybe 10x3 tiles).  But if all of a sudden there were like 10 Z-levels of water at the bottom of the waterfall you'd think that the lower path would flood before the path for the drainage pit.

mission0:
A picture would be useful.

Spider:
should the water have drained off the edge of the map? if so maybe the edge of the map has become a watersource like in the caverns where a body of water touches the edge.

SeekerDarksteel:
There's an album of the drainage shaft here:  http://seekerdarksteel.imgur.com/OCDL5

bluefox:

--- Quote from: SeekerDarksteel on June 07, 2010, 07:22:22 pm ---There's an album of the drainage shaft here:  http://seekerdarksteel.imgur.com/OCDL5

--- End quote ---

Hmmm. From your screenshots, I can posit a side-view of this.

T = trap
G = grate
~ = water
| = Wall
f = fishing platform

--- Code: ---TTTT
GGGG
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
||||||||||||~
|||||||||||f~
||||||||||||~~~~~

--- End code ---

If that's how you set it up, then I think there's some splash from the river. Water levels around waterfalls are ... tricky. I've set myself up for much fun by digging out above a river behind a waterfall, only to have the inside tiles coated in at least 4/7 water.

--- Quote from: SeekerDarksteel on June 07, 2010, 10:32:59 am ---There's another path which opens up at the bottom of the cliff below the path used for the drainage pit, and that path floods a little bit (maybe 10x3 tiles).  But if all of a sudden there were like 10 Z-levels of water at the bottom of the waterfall you'd think that the lower path would flood before the path for the drainage pit.

--- End quote ---

That depends on positioning.

I forget where the thread was, but water flow in DF is partially pressure-based, but also happens in order.

For example: in real life, water attempting to seek it's own level goes from this

--- Code: ---|||||||||||||||||||||
~~~||     |||||     |
~~~||     |||||     |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- End code ---

to this:

~~~||     |||||     |
~~~||~~~~~|||||~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- End code ---

to this:

~~~||~~~~~|||||~~~~~|
~~~||~~~~~|||||~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- End code ---

That's not how it works in DF. Water seeking its own level in DF goes from this:

~~~||     |||||     |
~~~||     |||||     |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- End code ---

to this:

~~~||~~~~~|||||     |
~~~||~~~~~|||||     |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- End code ---

to this:

~~~||~~~~~|||||~~~~~|
~~~||~~~~~|||||~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- End code ---

Same general effect, but not the one we expect from everyday life.

As to why it's only started now, in 31.05, and not previously? Not sure.

Of course, I could be completely off my rocker, that's not your problem at all, and I've just made an incredibly long and complex post for nothing.

Ah, well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version