Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Note on some utilities  (Read 51598 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Note on some utilities
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 02:24:51 am »

Okay, some research has confirmed the opening post of this thread is not vague at all. They made a DF clone.

Using parsed output from DF's hardcoded stuff, it seems.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 02:25:36 am »

Yeah, Khazad. SourceForge confirms at least the "DF clone" portion.
No it's not. It was (and is) a tool to test out new pathing algorithms. See threads about pathing. It never was intended to become even playable:
Khazad is a unique game engine intended to act as a testbed and example for 3D viewing, mouse based designations and AI for the independent game Dwarf Fortress.

This changed recently.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:34 am »

yes, Khazad is now being rebooted into a DF clone. It's moved from sourceforge to Github.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 02:36:30 am »

What

damn copycats
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 02:52:53 am »

DF Fortress Clone?

Somewhere two people is making another Dwarf Fortress, luckily for us ToadyOne is waaaay ahead of them. This from Magma News, we are so hot we are going to melt!

I wonder how many that gets the reference :P.

sadis

• Bay Watcher
  • This is Personal Text, please don't use it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 02:55:56 am »

Is it possible to report them in GitHub as using stolen/reverse engineered code?

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:32 am »

Okay, but what about DFHack? For me (and, I expect, many others), that's one of the things that makes DF as awesome (and usable) as it is, and it sucks to see it vanish from the forum. Where's the love, guys; where's the love?

I certainly hope there is some sort of effort ongoing to reach an understanding here.  :(

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 03:03:50 am »

I think the understanding stopped when they said starting crossing lines which Toady stated in his post.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:59 am »

it sucks to see it vanish from the forum.

Google, man. Google. I'm worried about future support.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 03:07:17 am »

I would like to state here (at the risk of getting banned) that I did sign on to this 'clone' project, mainly because I'm quite new to programming and need more experience, I was unaware that there was any reverse engineering going on, other than what is required for a visualizer, which is what it started as.

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 03:12:31 am »

http://help.github.com/dmca/

Seems theres more than enough to support a copyright infringement and to have them take it down from github.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:08 am »

I think the understanding stopped when they said starting crossing lines which Toady stated in his post.

Well, I don't have anything to judge by. I can't speak for Impaler, but from what little I know, the sort of things Toady mentioned seem out of character for peterix. What exactly went down?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 03:18:10 am »

What exactly went down?
|
v
They made a DF clone.
Using parsed output from DF's hardcoded stuff, it seems.
yes, Khazad is now being rebooted into a DF clone.

sadis

• Bay Watcher
  • This is Personal Text, please don't use it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 03:21:07 am »

http://help.github.com/dmca/

Seems theres more than enough to support a copyright infringement and to have them take it down from github.

And it seems it should be Toady One alone that reports them. So we'll just wait and see what happens.

I have never needed DFHack for anything and I'm not sad to see it go, especially if the author is involved in this travesty. But I also understand that it has enabled tools that some of you deem necessary for (relatively) painless playing and feel sorry for you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:47 am »

Copyright is tricky when it comes to things like this. How do you prove a "look and feel" case here?

Seriously, "clones" in the videogaming world are pretty much a mainstay, and aren't even necessarily harmful. The odd thing here is that they were basically (judging by what Toady said here, and some of Impaler's old posts) seriously disrespecting the project they're now attempting to clone, insulting its fans, discouraging supporting it, etc. and are not only cloning DF, but (allegedly) reverse-engineering it as well, although I don't see any particular evidence of that, although I guess it's sort of implicit.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23