Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Note on some utilities  (Read 51580 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Note on some utilities
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:00 am »

If you try to convince people not to donate to Bay 12, insult the fans, reverse engineer DF's code and then post links to your DF clone project, you probably shouldn't expect me to host your threads on my site.  Impaler[WrG] and peterix have been banned and their threads have been removed.  I'm sure they'll continue on with whatever, and maybe they'll even pop in back here, but they crossed well over the line of what I'm going to tolerate.

edit: "They" meaning just Impaler.  Sorry to peterix for getting him wrapped up in this one.
(see also in this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58796.msg1310891#msg1310891)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:10:50 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note on some utilities
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:36:00 am »

I'm guessing Impaler[WrG]'s thread was the Khazad one but what did peterix do? I don't believe DFHack was anything like that since visualizers did that stuff already.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:41 am »

peterix? Why would he- no more...DFHack?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That said, I would think ripping somebody off on their own site would be stupid at best. Were they collaborating on this?

I'm guessing Impaler[WrG]'s thread was the Khazad one but what did peterix do? I don't believe DFHack was anything like that since visualizers did that stuff already.
What was Khazad? I never checked.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:53:53 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:52:44 am »

I have no idea what this is about but I'm imagining it is pretty serious, as Toady is one of the most relaxed moderators I've ever seen. He's let people straight out bashing him and bay12's business model alone before so uh... wow, this must have been serious

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:01:37 am »

I have no idea what this is about but I'm imagining it is pretty serious, as Toady is one of the most relaxed moderators I've ever seen. He's let people straight out bashing him and bay12's business model alone before so uh... wow, this must have been serious

Yeah, this is ... well ... suprising to say the least. But from what i gather is that they started df clone project by reverse enginering parts of df, posted it here along with "use and donate to our project, stop donating to df"

Which is ... WTFesque and a bit sureal.

It should deserve a bit more information or else rumoring starts.

Opensource ...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:05:13 am »

Opensource ...

I keep forgetting...

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:05:57 am »

I think the community would like more verbose information on the infractions, as this seems out of character for our beloved Toadyone.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:11:00 am »

Well some of visualizers are based on DFHack.

Yes and no. AFAK some time ago Toady One mentioned that he was not comfortable with reverse engineering.I guess his patience ended, or he finally decided that reverse engineering is bad and no go.

Yeah, this is ... well ... suprising to say the least. But from what i gather is that they started df clone project by reverse enginering parts of df, posted it here along with "use and donate to our project, stop donating to df"

I think this was a general don't do this, this and that. And these two people broke at least one (AFAIK reverse engineer DF's code). If i am mistaken and they really did use DF's code in theirs code then shame on you.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:12:20 am »

Since im not sure what the topic of the thread is..

Ill just say I myself plan to donate to Toady once I have some spare cash,

Ive never had so much fun with a free game, its just a nicely made game with such detail and features.

/hugglez Toady
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 02:12:27 am »

I think the community would like more verbose information on the infractions, as this seems out of character for our beloved Toadyone.

Out of character would be more like posting their email addresses so people could harass them. This seems like the Toady we all know, except angry.

Speaking of which, have you been able to mitigate the damage they've done, Toady? After all, banning them from the forum won't reverse the fact that they've essentially stolen bits of your code.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:45 am »

Well i put Impaler name in google and found he has been bashing on Toady and his donating on multiple threads on the net.

Not going to link them all, but that is just not a great attitude to have. I assume hes been warned about it in the past atleast.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:19:47 am »

Okay, some research has confirmed the opening post of this thread is not vague at all. They made a DF clone.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 02:21:14 am »

Yeah, Khazad. SourceForge confirms at least the "DF clone" portion.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:22:08 am »

ToadyOne has gone berserk!
Impaler[WrG] cancels disrupt bay12forums: Interrupted by ToadyOne.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:23:35 am »

Yeah, Khazad. SourceForge confirms at least the "DF clone" portion.
No it's not. It was (and is) a tool to test out new pathing algorithms. See threads about pathing. It never was intended to become even playable:
Khazad is a unique game engine intended to act as a testbed and example for 3D viewing, mouse based designations and AI for the independent game Dwarf Fortress.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23