Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DFInit file editor [v1.53 ~ 0.31.16]  (Read 57149 times)

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF init file editor
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

are there any other things you folks would like to see added?
The ability to load the available options from a file (xml?) would be great. That way it doesn't have to be recompiled with new releases just for adding new options.

Other than that, great work!
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: DF init file editor
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 03:01:43 pm »

Cool beans dude! Glad you can get to updating this again.

Unfortunatley I'm getting the error about missing COMDLG32.OCX or one if its dependencies. I'd occasionaly get a similiar issue with the other version, but it would work most of the time (and almost always when running in admin mode). Not so with this new version.

I'm running Windows Vista 64, and I have the latest VC x86 and x64 redistributables as far as I know.

Argh. Comdlg32 is a 'common' control for the file select dialog; what's so common about it when it has to be manually included is beyond me.  Also what the heck that file doesn't even exist on my computer.
I will find a copy and add it to the package. And hope it works.

Nice, it works! You still need to run in admin mode in vista, for anyone else having problems.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFInit file editor [v1.52 ~ 0.31.16]
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 01:41:30 am »

Hey, I just DL'd Phoebus' tileset along with DF .16. Then I downloaded this. A few odd things are happening.

When I go to save the settings, I get two error messages. One says "RESIZABLE was never loaded" and not to worry, it had been put back. The next is the same, but it says [:0] was put back.

The next thing worries me more. When I go to launch DF through DFinit, there's a popup asking if I want to rub un fullscreen (even though I have windowed toggled, and prompt untoggled). Whether I say yes or no, another error pops up saying "tileset not found" for the tileset curses_640x300.png.

Looking in the data/art folder, that tileset is there. Regardless, I'm using the Phoebus tileset.

The game launches when I start it directly, but this has me worried something is messed up. When I got .12 through the Lazy Newb Pack, everything worked fine, aside from the truetype message (which oddly isn't appearing anymore).

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Zombie Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 08:04:45 am »

Hey, I just DL'd Phoebus' tileset along with DF .16. Then I downloaded this. A few odd things are happening.

When I go to save the settings, I get two error messages. One says "RESIZABLE was never loaded" and not to worry, it had been put back. The next is the same, but it says [:0] was put back.

The next thing worries me more. When I go to launch DF through DFinit, there's a popup asking if I want to rub un fullscreen (even though I have windowed toggled, and prompt untoggled). Whether I say yes or no, another error pops up saying "tileset not found" for the tileset curses_640x300.png.

Looking in the data/art folder, that tileset is there. Regardless, I'm using the Phoebus tileset.

The game launches when I start it directly, but this has me worried something is messed up. When I got .12 through the Lazy Newb Pack, everything worked fine, aside from the truetype message (which oddly isn't appearing anymore).

Could I possibly see the init files you are using? I just opened the hood and resizable looks no different from all the other load/save functions. It almost sounds like your resizable value got borked and looks like
[RESIZABLE
:YES]
or something strange like that and I would like to see what makes my program throw up all over itself so I can perhaps add a bib.
Also, you just reminded/inspired me to add a label stating which directory DFInit is working in, as it doesn't necessarily have to be working in the DF folder it is currently in. It may be trying to mess with another directory entirely, yielding these errors.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 02:24:47 pm »

I don't know if this helps, but I've gotten the "tileset not found" error before. It happened with my batch files "run DF" command AS WELL AS running DFInit through the batch file and then clicking "launch DF".
The problem was something to do with the batch file trying to run the program without actually changing its current working directory. It was as if DF launched but it didn't know what directory it was supposed to be in (and where its supporting files were!).

Everything was fixed when I explicitly told the batch file to CHANGE DIRECTORY to where DF is, and THEN launch the .exe

Didn't work:
Code: [Select]
START "" "Dwarf Fortress 31.14\Dwarf Fortress.exe"
Worked:
Code: ( Worked) [Select]
SET dfDir=Dwarf Fortress 31.14
CD %dfDir%
START "" "Dwarf Fortress.exe"
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »

Lucas, hitting the change directory button worked, I can now launch the game through DFinit.

I still get the errors when I save, though. Xnrad, I've got two sets on inits, the rgular ones, and ones that came with Phoebus (called init.phoebus and d_init.phoebus). I'll assume you want the regular ones, though idk which the game uses.

Here's the init:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and d_init:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 07:36:41 pm »

[TEMPERATURE:NO]
[WEATHER:NO]
[ECONOMY:NO]
[INVADERS:YES]
[CAVEINS:YES]
[ARTIFACTS:YES]
[ZERO_RENT:NO]
[TESTING_ARENA:YES]
[RESIZABLE:0]
[:0]

So it turns out I omitted the letter 'D' from the code handling the new spatter options.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »

[TEMPERATURE:NO]
[WEATHER:NO]
[ECONOMY:NO]
[INVADERS:YES]
[CAVEINS:YES]
[ARTIFACTS:YES]
[ZERO_RENT:NO]
[TESTING_ARENA:YES]
[RESIZABLE:0]
[:0]

So it turns out I omitted the letter 'D' from the code handling the new spatter options.

I don't... what?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: DFInit file editor [v1.53 ~ 0.31.16]
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 09:33:45 pm »

Misspelled variable name? AFAIK VB's pretty loose about the "declare before first use" thing. (I could be completely wrong, never much used VB.)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 10:13:04 pm »

I don't understand. You just made part of the init I sent you bold. I know those lines are in there, that's what makes the error message strange.

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 10:23:39 pm »

I highlighted it because that's what tipped me off to what was going wrong.

ahem

The array that holds init.txt is called iniArray; d_init's is DiniArray.
While saving, for each line in each init file, it looks for a number in column 10, which gets assigned the line number during loading when the line in question has an editable value. This was done to separate the values from the rest of the text.
If it finds a number in line x, column 10, it begins a big case statement to match the value it's looking at, so it can save from the proper text box/checkbox/dropdown menu.
For the spatter options, I thought they belonged to init.txt, so I omitted the D, thus resulting in that statement looking at the wrong array and getting resizable and a blank line instead of dwarfspatter and adventurespatter.

tl;dr I had a brain fart while programming.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:28:01 pm by xnrad »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 10:42:16 pm »

I love being right (even if it was for the wrong reason)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 01:47:40 am »

Ah, I get it now.

Well, at least it's nothing major. I mean, blood tracking is off by default in fortress mode anyway, and I doubt its somethng people would change often. Glad I could help with this quite useful utility.

Now, if only someone could make something like Therapist for the military, I'd have everything I need (aside from a better processor on my pc!  ;)).

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 07:50:09 pm »

OK then, I have finally received my gaming laptop, which comes with Win7 64bit and I now see what issues you people have been going through. I will do my best to fix these and deliver the DFInit experience as it was originally intended.

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 06:59:14 pm »

Hi, I noticed a small bug in 1.53, dunno how far back it goes.  On initial startup, when DFInit asks for the Dwarf Fortress directory, canceling the open file dialog causes an alert box to pop up: "Can't save or load or do anything useful until DF folder is located."  When you click OK, the open file dialog is displayed again.  If you close the alert box window, DFInit's main window displays, but the program hangs.  It seems like closing the alert box should terminate the program instead.  Just my two cents, good program otherwise!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4