Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DFInit file editor [v1.53 ~ 0.31.16]  (Read 57153 times)

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Zombie Wolf
    • View Profile
DFInit file editor [v1.53 ~ 0.31.16]
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:50 am »

After seeing some comments about the subject of the init file, and how a utility would be nice, I decided to reach back to my high school programming days and make one.

DFInit file editor is exactly what it says on the tin. A small application used to [gasp] edit your init file without using notepad.

Clicky.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Questions, comments, bugs, angry letters and proclamations of love are all welcome.

iF YOU USED V1.52, PLEASE LOAD DEFAULTS AND SAVE.
1.52 KIND OF ATE THE SPATTER OPTIONS.

Currently version 1.53 for DFv0.31.16:
Fixed Spatter options
Added 'current DF directory' label
Added 'open current DF directory' button

Still has +1 hfs.
I wonder if anyone found it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:51:07 pm by xnrad »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: DF init file editor
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:35:35 am »

OMG it's VB6 if I'm not mistaken.
EDIT: And the "Royale Noir" Windows XP theme. I used that too before I moved to Windows 7...

The font choices would be nice as a dropdown, it shouldn't be too hard to populate a list from the contents of a folder.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:39:24 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:36 am »

OMG it's VB6 if I'm not mistaken.
EDIT: And the "Royale Noir" Windows XP theme. I used that too before I moved to Windows 7...

The font choices would be nice as a dropdown, it shouldn't be too hard to populate a list from the contents of a folder.
Yeah theme is da best!... And font choice would be really nice.
Not too sure but i think there is (was) shader printing mode (although undocumented)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:09:04 pm »

Duude, that is a good piece of work! I made you a nice ad on czech forums ;)
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:48 pm »

Nice. I was sketching out a sane design (I hate just hacking away at something especially if it's easy enough to do proper. Specifically I was thinking about which way to go to make it support changes in the init.txt options without recompiling where I was leaning towards an xml file describing the layout. I guess I was overthinking it...) in my mind for pretty much exactly that, but apparently I was beaten. ;(

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:22:00 pm »

This is really just more convenient than helpful to me, but nice job. it'll be good for new peoples.

You need to make it work with both init.txt AND d_init.txt, though. (or have two programs).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:38 pm »

This is really just more convenient than helpful to me, but nice job. it'll be good for new peoples.

You need to make it work with both init.txt AND d_init.txt, though. (or have two programs).

Oh. Whoops.
So that's where all the other settings went.
I'll get right on that.
:-[

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:16:46 pm »

Awesome, loved the idea.  :D
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:18:14 pm »

Nice job man.

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »

look good.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »

Hmm, it doesn't seem to see \data\init\init.txt if any setting isn't correct.

Also, there is no setting for Windowed: PROMPT, only the checkbox. This contributes to the above problem, as Windowed: PROMPT is seen as an incorrect setting.

That aside, great job.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:27:57 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:11:58 pm »

Hmm, it doesn't seem to see \data\init\init.txt if any setting isn't correct.

Also, there is no setting for Windowed: PROMPT, only the checkbox. This contributes to the above problem, as Windowed: PROMPT is seen as an incorrect setting.

That aside, great job.

I thought that not finding the init would be the only error that function could throw so I only gave it that message. It seems I needs to tell it to yell at you more specifically.
And another oversight; I forgot about having PROMPT as a setting for startup.

Good thing I have you people to help test. :D

xnrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:02 pm »

Alright, v1.2 is up.
It adds d_init editing and more helpful error messages.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 10:09:32 am »

Toss in a "restore to default" button?

How about a dwarven women have beards checkbox? Its not in the init, but its basically an init option.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »

Suggestion: Detailed tool tips for each option on mouse over? This utility could make things alot less daunting for new players.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4