Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Warlord's Bonfire Mod 2.0: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?  (Read 53235 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire on Demand! Warlord's Bonfire Mod
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »

I'm on a glacier and the fire seems to not heat enough to melt the ice into water through walls or floors, but it is able to instantly melt the ice and bubble it into steam without a barrier..
How would I go about raising the temperature enough to go through the walls like I could do with magma?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 08:50:53 pm »

So, wait, let me get this straight, see if I understand this.

You build a bonfire workshop, and add in materials which are burned, in addition to wood. A dwarf is then chosen to 'set' it. You then have the dwarf who sets the bonfire run away.

So, for the next season or so, that 'workshop' will constantly set fire to everything around it? Is this speading out like a forest fire? Does this melt ice walls inside of glaciers, causing caveins? How precisely does this work?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 10:10:51 pm »

lastofthelight: More testing is needed to determine specific details like the ones you mention. Are you volunteering?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »

You build a bonfire workshop, and add in materials which are burned, in addition to wood. A dwarf is then chosen to 'set' it. You then have the dwarf who sets the bonfire run away.

So, for the next season or so, that 'workshop' will constantly set fire to everything around it? Is this speading out like a forest fire? Does this melt ice walls inside of glaciers, causing caveins? How precisely does this work?
I'm on a glacier now and its melting things in an interesting way, if there is a structure before an ice floor the floor under the fire stays intact, but the workshop deconstructs if hollow underneath and the resulting material lands on a nearby floor tile, which if hollow, should melt it, but so far I havent tested that severely.. just going by minor mess-ups in the layout of my fortress which is suffering greatly from the oddities of what was going ot be my water melting systems.  :'(

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »

Forest fires require grass - but yes, it will ignite items adjacent to and on top of the Bonfire workshop. For maximum security, putting a 3x3 cylinder of constructed wall or floor around the workshop allows you to dump any unwanted items directly onto the workshop and prevents it from igniting grass, since the target tiles are occupied. It is best to pre-build this wall and leave a diagonal corner open, so your dwarves have no chance to stand on the burning tile while making the wall.

I haven't done extensive testing for ice relations, but I can confirm that with a magma-safe material, the workshop can act as a water annihilator/steam producer. However, the smoke may interfere with this... but, as mentioned before, a non-burning item would be permanent, and therefore somewhat problematic.

Interestingly, these tiles will be designated as Warm tiles if they are natural. I'd go on to wager that one could melt a square of ice one floor above the Bonfire, though this warrants testing. If so, then heated pools may well be possible.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 01:32:00 am »

Just a thought, perhaps the skill shouldnt be furnace operating, but instead "wood burning"
also I'm still testing the melting of ice, and it is quite a pain in the ass to test it in this glacial setup but once I get a system going for it it should be good.

well, igniting the fire underneath the ice doesnt seem to be doing anygood.. Gonna put a floor over the top of the ice layers to make sure I'm not just having a human flaw.

edit:
Ohh I just had a good idea for weaponizing the longer fires.
build a 2 tile ledge, build fires over second tile, remove first tiles.
You now have falling fire, ready to scare the crap out of any goblins.
for efficiency you should couple this with a fireproof bridge which could be level pulled to swallow the flames afterwards.

edit2: Yeah its just not melting the ice when just above it.. the fire seems to only be able to burn/melt things on the same Z level which is probably the issue we're having here.
if we can Crank the heat up enough to heat up the natural tiles hot enough to melt the ice, we should be golden.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:41:54 am by NRN_R_Sumo1 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 02:05:59 am »

better if you get some oil barrels and have that next to your fire launching to roast some goblins quicker.
wonder if this can make a moat made of fire?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 03:02:03 am »

better if you get some oil barrels and have that next to your fire launching to roast some goblins quicker.
wonder if this can make a moat made of fire?
one could easily make a burning ditch around they're fortress, but be sure to set paths so your dwarves know which way to go.

(its also mighty tedious to keep many fires blazing, but certainly possible.)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 03:02:45 pm »

Can a material be made that does not need magma to melt it, but would be destroyed from the ambient heat from a bonfire?
(how far does said heat effect extend? just the one tile?)
I enision:
flasks of poison, melting and then releasing vapourized poison. Or flasks of explosives! This could be the mechanic to create all sorts of heat-based ideas that folks have been trying for.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 03:07:06 pm »

Wellllllllllllll, Flaede you just gave me a great idea.

You have a long hall way, maybe a prep for death hallway for invaders. First level is just your standard floor and separated by a fortification or just empty space, you would line the hall with bonfires. Above the path of the hallway (maybe like 2 - 3 stories up for safeties sake) you have hatches. You make a rock, like Deon's coal dealio, but make it exceedingly deadly. Open hatches, rocks fall, bonfire melts/boils rock, creatures get affected. Apply as many times as necessary. At least in theory it sounds... sound.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 04:10:51 pm »

It is sound in theory. Since last version I've been testing small increments of material heats, but "body heat" doesn't seem to do much to heat up materials. When I put 2+2 together and realized that bonfires can heat up more than just ice... well, that was a happy moment.

Imagine it: murderholes that WORK!
you use this magic "breakable" material to make vials and extract some volatile oil into it (fire snake extract?).
The material inside the vial can be much more explosive and hot and all that fun stuff, since it doesn't react whilst inside the vial.
drop the "breakable" vial down the hole and BOOM!
...or it boils off in a cloud of inhaled poison.
...or it releases an even hotter, quicker burning whatever.

The possibilities are endless!

(I wish body heat worked. Imagine leaving these things near the map edge, blowing up kobolds who try to steal them)
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 04:20:06 pm »

Well, I believe as it stands right now in fort mode, that glass or anything for that matter (item wise) will not break dropped from any height. That's why I said a stone much like Deon's coal mod. Cept add all sorts of nasty effects.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 04:26:16 pm »

Well, I believe as it stands right now in fort mode, that glass or anything for that matter (item wise) will not break dropped from any height. That's why I said a stone much like Deon's coal mod. Cept add all sorts of nasty effects.

Right. But things do break from heat.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 04:28:21 pm »

I don't know if glass would, at least from a bonfire. -shrugs-

Key words here...

I don't know.

Testing time for you Flaede =-P

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »

Not glass. Some "mystery metal" flask.
I will test, but right now I'm trying to get Ifrit smoke-bodies to work, so fire and heat shenanigans will come next.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8