Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Warlord's Bonfire Mod 2.0: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?  (Read 53445 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Fire on Demand! Warlord's Bonfire Mod
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Okay, I was thinking vials only... /sigh

Anyways, yeah, I could see it being a mystery metal that metals relatively quick, but again. I still think stone would be way easier. Especially considering you can drop large quantities of those real easy and fill it back up via reaction. It might be a little tricky setting the specific vials up for use.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 08:27:52 pm »

I've had two mysterious fires on embark now, and I think I know what's causing it:  the game selects random woods to make barrels for your starting food supplies, and I think it occasionally chooses bonfire wood (after the fire died down, I had two stacks of meat on the wagon square.  Suggests it was a barrel).

I'm not sure how you would fix it, but possibly by making it a creature material?  You can create creature materials by rxn, I think, but as long as the creature isn't placed the game wouldn't let the civs make items from it.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »

simply forbidding the bonfire wood helps too. ;)
or just simply using rock for the firepit.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »

has anyone had any success in creating a long lasting knock out smoke or otherwise trapworthy smoke?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »

I've been... preoccupied... I'm working on just getting a new fort with the new ver/deon's mod.

I think I'm going to have to make a stone that won't ignite in underground temperature, but will when semi near the fire.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »

I've been... preoccupied... I'm working on just getting a new fort with the new ver/deon's mod.

I think I'm going to have to make a stone that won't ignite in underground temperature, but will when semi near the fire.

I'm curious about this. If you get the temperature setting rihgt, please post them. Also - does specific density affect things like this?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2010, 03:25:45 pm »

what I'm thinking of is changing the 'coal' stone so that it will spew gas, the temp's seem to be fine on the one warlords supplied.. I just am confused on syndromes, it seems that they rely on being part of a creature or in the case of gnomeblight, a plant.. but I know that deon had a workaround with mining out coal to give black lung.
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bonfire][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:15]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:15]
   [IGNITE_POINT:11000]
   [MELTING_POINT:NONE]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:12000]
   [SPEC_HEAT:10000]
   [BOILING_POINT:NONE]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:10000]
   [IS_STONE]

actually relooking at the code there, no boiling point and no melting point kinda go against what I want to do I think, as that would only allow regular smoke correct?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:06 pm »

Well the way I'm going to be testing it is...

XXXBXXXBXXX
UUUUUUUUUUU
PPPPPPPPPPPP
UUUUUUUUUUU
XXXBXXXBXXX

X = walls
B = bonfire
U = fortification or channel
P = path for enemies

I'll probably have doors or some sort behind the bonfires so I can "reload them.

above the path +1 z level I'll have hatches with a stone (coal possibly) to drop down and when in the line of heat of the bonfires, it will hopefully boil and do stuff...

We'll see... let me get to work and we'll find out.

I know someone said the temperature for underground was constant, anyone have that number? Also, does heat travel through objects like hatches? Does a creature carrying an object transfer heat?

The margins I'm going to be working with for heat are going to be very small, so I need to be exact...

-in addition edit-

this is for the black lung stone...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pretty much what I need is the temperatures for underground I think someone said it was 10087 or something nearish that.

I'm going to have to removed fixed temp, I know that. Anyone have the deadliest form of necrosis laying around? I would prefer to see the affects immediately for testing purposes.

I've stopped playing with the syndromes for so long I've forgotten how to work em...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:07:12 pm by Shaostoul »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:44 pm »

Well the way I'm going to be testing it is...

XXXBXXXBXXX
UUUUUUUUUUU
PPPPPPPPPPPP
UUUUUUUUUUU
XXXBXXXBXXX

X = walls
B = bonfire
U = fortification or channel
P = path for enemies

I'll probably have doors or some sort behind the bonfires so I can "reload them.

above the path +1 z level I'll have hatches with a stone (coal possibly) to drop down and when in the line of heat of the bonfires, it will hopefully boil and do stuff...

We'll see... let me get to work and we'll find out.

I know someone said the temperature for underground was constant, anyone have that number? Also, does heat travel through objects like hatches? Does a creature carrying an object transfer heat?

The margins I'm going to be working with for heat are going to be very small, so I need to be exact...

B have never gotten a creature's body-heat to do anything. but could things resistance to heating up perhaps have something to do with the SPEC_HEAT?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2010, 04:11:36 pm »

It's not the creatures that I want to ignite.

I believe it's spec heat. If that's the one with how quickly heat transfers from the object.

All I need the bonfires to do, is to heat the objects I'm going to drop down and have them boil/evaporate/whatever.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »

It's not the creatures that I want to ignite.

I believe it's spec heat. If that's the one with how quickly heat transfers from the object.

All I need the bonfires to do, is to heat the objects I'm going to drop down and have them boil/evaporate/whatever.

I meant I've never had a creature's body heat ignite an object. Like stuck-in arrows. or a carried flask. Blood should really have a default temp above room temperature.

The wiki used to have some decent info on temperature, but it seems all that is left is this conversion chart.  The entry on SPEC_HEAT shows as deleted completely.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2010, 04:23:42 pm »

This is what I've got so far...

I still am trying to find out the subterranean temps.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2010, 04:49:03 pm »

It would turn out other people have been playing with this too, and for some time I suppose.
although they've been using magma as a heat source.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »

Ah that's what I read, but I totally missed the standard underground temperature dealio. I'm going to see if that df probe thing is still around.

-edit-

Alright well I ran into the first problem.. the only places that temperature changes is right on the bonfire and right next to it... it's a hell of a jump though... 10015 for underground temp to 11015 or so for bonfire temp.

All we need to do now is figure out how to make it affect more of an area around it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:34:15 pm by Shaostoul »

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2010, 05:48:28 pm »

Ah that's what I read, but I totally missed the standard underground temperature dealio. I'm going to see if that df probe thing is still around.

-edit-

Alright well I ran into the first problem.. the only places that temperature changes is right on the bonfire and right next to it... it's a hell of a jump though... 10015 for underground temp to 11015 or so for bonfire temp.

All we need to do now is figure out how to make it affect more of an area around it.
that would certainly explain how come the ice wouldnt melt for me on my glacier.
Whats the temperature of magma? perhaps if we make a special "Magma heat" setting for fires, it might be able to go through the walls in the same way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8