Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Warlord's Bonfire Mod 2.0: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?  (Read 53234 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Warlord's Bonfire Mod 2.0: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:14:21 am »

2018 EDIT: A new era of hideous combustion has arrived!

Download BONFIRE & BLACKLUNG here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13653
with credit to Lofn's Blacklung mod, plus the Modest & Orichalcum Mods.

After years away from modding, I decided to revisit my baby; a greater understanding of dwarven material science has helped me solve the greatest issue with withe Bonfire mod. Bonfires are now stones, and are forbidden from appearing in play or in stockpiles. More importantly, however, I've used this as a springboard to add some more comprehensive combustion-related antics to the mod.

The primary goal is still to add a neat, flavor-appropriate way to dispose of items - by chucking them in a fire pit. However, there are now some infinite fuel sources which are balanced out by a chance of spawning a Bonfire, as well as some minor health hazards sprinkled across the entire metalworking industry. What could possibly go wrong?

FEATURES:

-Bonfire workshop: Start fires to ignite grass or dispose of items.
-Large Bonfire: A near-eternal flame, great for automated disposal systems or decorative braziers.
-Small Bonfire: A shorter-lasting fire, great for igniting grass or smaller funeral ceremonies.

-Coal AND Metal poison dusts: Adapted and expanded from Lofn’s Blacklung Mod.
-Small clusters of decoy “coal” erupt into dust when mined.
-EVERY alloy smelter reaction has a chance to spawn Metal Poison Dust.
-EVERY ore (except Native Silver, Gold, & Platinum) has a chance to spawn Metal Poison Dust when smelted.
-Metal Poison dust only affects partially or fully cave-adapted dwarves. Coal Dust and Lead Poison Dust, found on lead and zinc ores/reactions, has no such limit.
-Steel and Adamantine smelter reactions have a small chance to spawn a Small Bonfire…

-Fuel Helpers: Borrowed from Modest & Orichalcum Mods.
-Peat to Coke: Press peat “clay” into bricks, then burn the bricks into coke. Has a chance to spawn a Small Bonfire…
-Quarry Bush to Charcoal: Free charcoal! Has a chance to spawn a Small Bonfire…
-Graphite to Coke: Bonus coke! Has a significant chance to spawn Coal Dust…
-Cremate remains to Ash: Dispose of those pesky vermin and get something for your industry.

Once installed, add the following to your entity file:

Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BONFIRE_START]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:FIREWOOD_START]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:BONFIRE]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_PEAT_BRICKS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PEAT_TO_COKE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COKE_FROM_GRAPHITE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CREMATE_REMAINS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:QUARRY_BUSH_TO_CHARCOAL]

For added fun, you can sprinkle in Bonfires wherever you feel appropriate. For example, the subterranean Fire Man...
Code: [Select]
[ITEMCORPSE:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:SHORT_BONFIRE:NONE]
Happy burning, and enjoy!

Original post text below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:23:50 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Fire on Demand! Warlord's Bonfire Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17:15 am »

Damn you! where have you been when i started my epic fort. This is second most needed thing (after display cases)!

Mmm slowly roasted elves...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:29:55 am by darius »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:56:45 am »

I LOVE YOU!
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »

This is way awesome.
Now I just need to mod myself a Steam turbine and envision a sophisticated Water heating system. ;)

... How long have I been away?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

Quick note...

You forgot

Otherwise, nice mod.

-edit-

Quick question...

Is there anyway to extend the amount of time? Past 9 months?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:01:15 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:05:24 pm »

Neat idea, im gonna be using this.

Also, it should be possible to make the fire perpetual by setting the heatdam value above the fixed temp.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »

Neat idea, im gonna be using this.

Also, it should be possible to make the fire perpetual by setting the heatdam value above the fixed temp.

Hadn't thought of that... however, it might be beneficial to have the fire run out eventually, in case something needs to be fixed or removed.

Quick note...

You forgot

Thanks, fixed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:43:04 pm by Warlord255 »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »

Can we see a clip of it in action?

BTW, what version is this for?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 06:27:39 pm »

speaking of the Burning Coal In A Bin... can container reactions be used to make this fire be IN A BIN?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:29 pm »

Please?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »

Please?

Haha, alright. I was planning on starting a new fort to incorporate it into soon, so I'll take some vids once I get that going. Also, it's for the latest 31.0#, at least until a compatibility issue arises. Nothing problematic as of .05, though.

speaking of the Burning Coal In A Bin... can container reactions be used to make this fire be IN A BIN?

It's possible, but this part is actually unnecessary... if the workshop is magma-safe, it insulates the "bonfire" and allows it to boil oncoming water in a fashion almost identical to the lignite bin. I'm not fully aware of said bin's perks, though - if it can be hauled and dropped without a dwarf dying, then it'd be worth pursuing.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »

The bin can be hauled. It may require oven mitts gloves to be entirely safe, but the hauling is a rather useful feature. I like the basic workshop fire, too, but I wanted the bin-option as well.

I'm also kind of curious if the thing will ignite if created in a bin, or only when it is removed from the bin.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:08:22 pm »

It's possible, but this part is actually unnecessary... if the workshop is magma-safe, it insulates the "bonfire" and allows it to boil oncoming water in a fashion almost identical to the lignite bin. I'm not fully aware of said bin's perks, though - if it can be hauled and dropped without a dwarf dying, then it'd be worth pursuing.
make the dwarves fire-proof and you've got a mobile flare!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:42:09 am »

The bin can be hauled. It may require oven mitts gloves to be entirely safe, but the hauling is a rather useful feature. I like the basic workshop fire, too, but I wanted the bin-option as well.

I'm also kind of curious if the thing will ignite if created in a bin, or only when it is removed from the bin.
Did some tests with this, im pretty sure its possible to get stuff in a bin to burn. Just use the plaster reaction as example, along with the firesafe reagent tag. You can set the fixed temp to something that wont result in !!urist!! but still evaporates.

Also, dwarves that arnt fireproof make way bigger flares.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:55:35 am »

How long do the small bonfires last?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8