Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 108

Author Topic: DFHack 0.5.15 (legacy)  (Read 386062 times)

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://zorrilla.me
Re: DFHack 0.4.0.1 - tools and memory access library
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 12:25:31 pm »

Crap (or should i say, carp? :D ) Cant figure out the C API. Don't you have at least a draft document about it?

Rakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 03:11:49 pm »

So I downloaded it, but how do I actually run it?  Or do I just run the tools by themselves?  There doesn't seem to be an executable, and the tools don't some to be .exes either.  The readme also didn't cover this as near as I could tell.  I'm not a programmer, so forgive my ignorance.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:18 am »

So I downloaded it, but how do I actually run it?  Or do I just run the tools by themselves?  There doesn't seem to be an executable, and the tools don't some to be .exes either.  The readme also didn't cover this as near as I could tell.  I'm not a programmer, so forgive my ignorance.
What exactly did you download? If you're not a programmer and you're on Windows, you'll probably want the binaries (dfhack-bin). (Binaries as in executables, as opposed to text, i.e. source code.) If you're on Linux, I think you'll have to compile them yourself. Instructions are in COMPILE.
Run the exes from command line/terminal. (run -> cmd (I think), cd C:\[location of exes], dir, [tool name].exe) You'll also need to copy over SDL.dll (if you're running the SDL version of DF), replacing one already there.Nope. Sorry, it's been a while since I used DF on Windows. See Peterix's post below.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:16:45 pm by zxcvmnb »

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:25 am »

What exactly did you download? If you're not a programmer and you're on Windows, you'll probably want the binaries (dfhack-bin). (Binaries as in executables, as opposed to text, i.e. source code.) If you're on Linux, I think you'll have to compile them yourself. Instructions are in COMPILE.
Run the exes from command line/terminal. (run -> cmd (I think), cd C:\[location of exes], dir, [tool name].exe) You'll also need to copy over SDL.dll (if you're running the SDL version of DF), replacing one already there.
1. yes. you want the binaries
2. on linux, compiling is required. packaging is a bit more complicated, but dfhack should be prepared for that :)
3. there's no need to run stuff from cmd. just double-click the binary.
4. Replacing SDL.dll is not a good idea (copying over it). You have to rename the one that comes with DF to SDLreal.dll and then add the one from DFHack. Otherwise, you'll get non-working DF. The DFHack SDL.dll acts as a thin layer between DF and the real SDL.dll... adds a few things to it to make DF play nicer with DFHack.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:21:39 am by peterix »

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 11:11:16 am »

What about a little API reference?

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:38 am »

Look at the creature dump example source code, its under tool/example/creaturedump.cpp. It's fairly clear, from the names of things and the text being written to the console, what's going.
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:22 am »

Good tip, i'll give it a look. Thanks.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:35 pm »

<
Noob here.

Running on Vista, and the exe's tell me they couldn't find a suitable process. It's worth noting that they used to work in .6, with an fort genned in a previous version.

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »

It should be simpler to make bindings for other languages now, because there's a C version of the DFHack API available. With the C++ stuff out of the way, you should be able to make just about any kind of bindings ... Java, C#, etc.

Also, my brain is melting from information overload =D

Could you explain how DFHack works? Perhaps i can find out a workaround of using it and implement some of the funtionality natively in Java. Sorry if im being naive here...

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 03:20:04 am »

Perhaps i can find out a workaround of using it and implement some of the funtionality natively in Java.

The python bindings have had a lot of work put into them by doomchild. If you really want to, you could use those through jython to get it execute in the JVM. I'm not sure if that helps with any problem you have. Other than that, someone with the necessary knowledge has to take the time to write the Java bindings from scratch, resulting in a DFHack library you could just import into java code and use as such.

Edit: It needs to be maintained too. So writing the bindings isn't a one-time deal. Judging from the questions you presented, I'd say the path of least resistance for you is to learn python and use the python bindings already there. :) But if you really like Java and don't want to switch, then if you manage to get DFHack do something, anything, through Java, there's always the chance other people interested in the same thing will pop up and help. I'd certainly help with the python bindings if I had any kind of idea what's supposed to be done with them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:34:52 am by huhu »

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28:36 am »

Hum, i'm thinking about looking into the code and customize a little bit the tools to export the data extracted to a text file for later read and parsing. I have some experience with Python and I know whatever i have to learn is easy.

BTW, when i try to execute a command in the Linux's CLI, it says that dwarffortress.exe file is missing... :O
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:45:00 am by Gabriel A. Zorrilla »

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 12:46:27 pm »

Without having investigated the matter at all, I immediately thought that maybe you don't have DF and a fort running on the background?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »

Hum, i'm thinking about looking into the code and customize a little bit the tools to export the data extracted to a text file for later read and parsing. I have some experience with Python and I know whatever i have to learn is easy.

BTW, when i try to execute a command in the Linux's CLI, it says that dwarffortress.exe file is missing... :O
Man. I have no idea.

If you come to the #dfhack irc channel on freenode, I'll try to help you.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 06:23:11 am »

I've got a problem trying to run the .exe thingies, and I couldn't find a better place to post my question.

When I run any of them, I get this error:
"Application could not be started because the configuration of the Application is incorrect. Re-installing might solve this problem."

I've tried downloading the .zip again, if there was some sort of corruption in the first one, but that didn't help.
Any thoughts?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 06:36:46 am »

I've got a problem trying to run the .exe thingies, and I couldn't find a better place to post my question.

When I run any of them, I get this error:
"Application could not be started because the configuration of the Application is incorrect. Re-installing might solve this problem."

I've tried downloading the .zip again, if there was some sort of corruption in the first one, but that didn't help.
Any thoughts?
Yes. I think you need this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:42:35 am by peterix »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 108