Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Rivers and water in the upcoming version

(1/1)

Captain Mayday:
Basically these are a few questions for Toady.Will undermountain rivers behave as a flow of water from an endless source? That is, will they follow a channel in a level, possibly going deeper than that, and does this mean that we can dam the rivers if we want?In the current release, it is possible to create pools by digging channels, but it now seems that channels aren't going to be done the same way. Are pools gone altogether, or will dwarves treat non-flowing shallow water as if it were pools? Or even flowing shallow water?As a sort of bloat, would it be possible to build statue fountains using a stone and a mechanism, or even just place them with an existing statue with a mechanism, but only in a channel?
Benefit would be greater than just a statue, but downside would be the accessibility of the area by aquatic enemies.

Mechanoid:
Having read every page on the "Future of the Fortress" thread, i think some of these have already been answered from there:- Flows will be considered endless, though they may dry-up and stop flowing in winter.
- Damming the water and /or redirecting it is entirely possible.
- Pools are still possible, though "channels" as a building are gone. I suppose the way this feature would be restored is that dwarves would dig a hole, and then be ordered to empty water buckets over it.
- Flowing shallow water should be entirely possible.- Fountains should be entirely possible without adding anything new when the new version is released, as water will seek to reach an equilibrium... Thus as long as you can drain roughly the same as you pipe in, you CAN make a fountain.
... Integrating a statue with a fountain function is certainly a good idea, though.[ May 13, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Toady One:
Yeah, I think that's all pretty much right, except I'm not sure what I'll get to regarding making dams/levees.  Right now, if you wanted to try to make a dam on a river, you could make a large empty pit/reservoir near the river and then when the river connect to the pit, the water will probably get shallow enough downstream to build a dam if you have the floodgates right there in time.  That's sort of a strange way to do things, but there aren't any permissible underwater building sites right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version