Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Designating areas to be cleared

(1/3) > >>

Tamren:
One annoying thing about knocking out big rooms is getting the stone out, you can leave it in but it gets in the way of construction leading to a lot of suspended tasks.And of course with the stone there you cannot see the floor.So it would be neat if we could set areas to clear. The way it would work is you paint down an area just as if you were going to engrave it. But instead it saves what you designate as 1 single clear order.The dwarves will then give priority to hauling the objects in that area to stockpiles or will simply move them all to the nearest empty spot outside the area.If you want to, you can also designate a specific area for the stuff to go in, such as from the inside of one room to the corridor outside.Voila clean floor!

Core Xii:
quote:Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>it gets in the way of construction leading to a lot of suspended tasks.</STRONG>Not if you don't make a huge stone stockpile. Any stone not tasked for something else (like hauling) will just be moved out of a construction's way.

Tamren:
The point is to clear the floor.If you tell your dwarves to construct a 5x5 building like a shop in a room that is packed wall to wall with loose stone, he will have to move them all himself which takes too much time and the job might get suspended anyway.In very dense fortress layouts there is nowhere for the stone to go anyway.

elkna:
This will also help if a dwarf happens to dump stone into a doorway (which happened to me when making double-doors to my farm, which I realize probably wasn't a good idea). I had to wait nearly a season just to get a dwarf to move that single stone, and in the end they had cleaned out most of the fortress before even looking at it. =/ A designation would be excellent for this kind of problem.

Keiseth:
I'm all for this. There are some rooms that should be cleaned out (Dining rooms, fancy stuff) and some that are probably less important (Barracks? The stones are like beds!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version