Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good Linux starter build?  (Read 1650 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Good Linux starter build?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:22 am »

O. M. G. XD

Just booted the Arch liveCD in a VM, logged on and:

wtflol?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 03:31:08 am »

You can install Arch on anything if you have enough time (read: no life) and enough dedication (read: you're a huge farking nerd).

I must be the only one who has had no problem with ATI and running ubuntu, but then again troubleshooting through their community can be done effectively by the special-needs kids I used to coach with all sorts of disabilities.

Can you search on google? Well, then you can run ubuntu.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 04:16:58 am »

My general impression of Ubuntu is that it's great for someone new to Linux, but if you're used to it (and/or comfortable at a command line), there are much better distros for you.

That's mostly from reading blogs and talking with friends, the closest I've come to Ubuntu is a little tinkering with Xubuntu. It seemed nice enough, but it pissed me off when updates started clobbering my hand-modified config files...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 04:10:09 am »

Archlinux confused the hell out of me. I'm comfortable with command line but the whole methodology for it is completely different from anything Micro$oft... if only my damn openSUSE dl hadn't bugged out and I hadn't decided to try something else in the meantime XD

Ahh well, hopefully download attempt #2 will go better... don't have enough cap I can dl 3.5 odd gigs a third time...
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells
Pages: 1 [2]