Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cross-Burrow Contamination  (Read 1685 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cross-Burrow Contamination
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:53 pm »

I have a very large underground fortress and I've been seeing something unusual with respect to burrows and military alerts. First, I'll describe the normal situation.

I have a giant obsidian farm (40x40 squares, only accessible from within the fort, otherwise blocked on all sides by constructions) which I use primarily to train new miners before sending them off into the field. I have this in a burrow called "Obsidian Farm" and I assign my miner-in-training there (one at a time).
I have areas where I want to keep the stone (gems, ores, etc) in a cavern under my fortress. I have this in a burrow called "Temp Work" and I assign all my already trained miners there.
I have my entire fort encased in a burrow called "Whole Complex" and I assign all my miners (in training or not) to this burrow, since there are no dig designations in that burrow.

There is very little overlap between these burrows, and this system does quite well to allow me to train a miner and use legendary miners simultaneously without having them interfere with each others' jobs.

Then there is a goblin seige.

I set my civilization to the military alert which restricts them to the three burrows mentioned above (Obsidian Farm, Temp Work, and Whole Complex), thus keeping them underground but still able to do their cave-work. Once the seige is dealt with, I look at the Obsidian Farm burrow, and I see several miners working together there. When I set the civilian alert back to no burrow restrictions, the post-training miners stop working in the Obsidian Farm and run back to the Temp Work burrow.

It seems, from this, that military burrow restrictions will invalidate individual burrow assignments. How can I get this to work right?

If it matters, I'm still using 31.03.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Burrow Contamination
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:22:12 pm »

When you activate a burrow with alerts, it overrides the citizen assignments with "all civilians go here". So for the duration, your miners all have access to all three burrows.  It might work if you have a new alert burrow encompassing all three areas, and leave your current burrows as non-alerted ones.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Burrow Contamination
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:15 pm »

Citizen assignments don't actually restrict where citizens can go, only where they can take jobs, whereas military alerts restrict where citizens can go. I would have thought that if someone must be in burrow 1 and can only take jobs in burrow 2, they can only actually do jobs in the intersection (or border, maybe).

It seems that what actually happens, though, is that military alerts restrict where citizens can go and, while active, override where they can take jobs.

In any case, how would making a larger burrow help this situation? Wouldn't it just temporarily reassign all the miners to the larger burrow, allowing them to take jobs from anywhere within it?