Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which graphics pack to use, and how?  (Read 37796 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Which graphics pack to use, and how?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 08:58:05 am »

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

This is pretty much the standard graphics pack everyone is using (because it's great) :)

I don't.
I believe we are just talking about Graphics Sets, and not Tile Sets (Graphics sets are for creatures, Tile sets are for everything else. I don't like tilesets because support hasn't been given to them to allow words to appear normal.)

I personally use a collection of sprites I thought look cool and put them together into my own set. Since I can't credit properly, I can't really distribute it. It is a good way of doing it though, because it allows you to ensure everything in the set looks how you want it to look. It does require a little knowledge on image manipulation (If you can create sprites, you are way ahead of the game though)
I suggest you find a graphics set for your baseline, and then add to it as you go along. My baseline was Sphr's set, though I don't see it around anymore...

Well, once you get used to the default graphics, there is no need to change in my opinion :) :) :)
I disagree. Seeing an E versus seeing an E, or Seeing a skeletal Elephant versus seeing an Elf.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 09:03:00 am »

Hi!

Well, once you get used to the default graphics, there is no need to change in my opinion :) :) :)
I disagree.

And this illustrate the power of Dwarf Fortress: There can be as many sometimes extremely different experiences as there are players. Some like letters, some like pixel art, and everyone can get happy in their manner.

So, don't let anyone tell you how to enjoy the flexible parts of the game (unless you modify the raws, your smelter will never produce glass, making that a not flexible part) - the game is meant to be explored individualistically (at least in my opinion).

So, have fun! (But I do recommend having a look at the map archive as it is quite useful for sharing things with the community)

Deathworks

wilbefast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • My blog: "where there's a will, be fast"
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

Did I mention I'm using an AZERTY keyboard? This complicates things at times...

I've been turned off Dwarf Fortress on a number of occasions, and each time it's been frustrating because I could see a glimmer of something amazing. If it was just annoying I'd chuck it, forget it, and never come back: it's annoying to feel that there's something very deep happening but that you can't really understand it or control it.
Even now that I've worked out how the interface works, I still feel like I'm peering in at a magical word through a keyhole, and slipping bits of paper under the door. It's a great game but the interface is really a weak link for me, because I'm not old enough to get nostalgic about ASCII graphics. Once you get the hang of the controls it does work perfectly well, but I can't help but think that a game this deep and complicated really deserves an interface (input and output) worthy of it.

"ASCII portal", for example, is perfect, because there's little information to convey and few possible actions. You really don't need anything more than ASCII graphics. But Dwarf Fortress has a staggering amount of information to convey and thousands of possible actions, which is a bit out of step with its Spartan GUI. That's just my 2 cents anyway.

I might just start again actually - but I'm no closer to getting these graphics working. How do I fix this Rayback problem?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

Hi!

Ah, don't get me wrong. I am not forcing you to go for ASCII. It is just that many people are very vocal about using graphics and thus may influence people who may be happy with ASCII. If you don't like the default ASCII, of course you should exchange it.

As for how to do that, I can't help you (being an ASCII fanatic AND on Windows XP, I don't have any real insights in what is going wrong). However, there have been enough people offering you help on the graphics issue.

As for sticking to the game; once you have set it up to work with the graphics, I think you really should give it another try. It is really worth it.

One important aspect is to use the init files (especially d_init.txt) to set up the game to fit your needs. Note that the init options can be changed between game sessions, so, for instance, you can use the INVADER setting to turn off conflict for the first years, and then turn it on once you have your fortress running efficiently and want to explore the combat aspect of the game (note that invaders will have a little delay, so they will usually not appear immediately after you turn them back on).

Deathworks
Pages: 1 [2]