Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 103595 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2010, 10:57:43 pm »

I just had a terrible thought.

The more I read about the big oil spill in the gulf, the more it sounds like a really Fun game of Dwarf Fortress.

:-X
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 18, 2010, 04:45:05 am »

Instead of armor for the war animals, they should have a charging attack. Then they should get a bonus for biting victims laying on the ground. In history, war animals were mainly used as shocktroops to break formations. A charging horde of war dogs must be a pretty demoralizing sight.

Armor would be cool, too, though.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 18, 2010, 07:00:28 am »

Are there any bugs with the arsenal dwarf at the moment, to do with the fact that he doesn't actually assign any weapons, or that at least the military won't pick any of them up? 

My arsenal dwarf is also my manager, so he's already a master organiser, and I've set some specific things for the military to wear, but other than a -steel spear- that my militia commander picked up before the arsenal dwarf was around, no one's picked up anything for about half a year.

Edit: Perhaps they only equip weapons/armour when they are on active duty?  If this is the case, is it only possible to use training weapons while training, since it's only possible to do this while the squad is set to inactive?

Edit 2: Seems that it's ok now.  They're wearing what's assigned to them.  Making the squad active causes them to equip stuff.  Also, a raccoon is now very dead.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:28:50 am by heuristicus »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 18, 2010, 07:52:46 am »

Hmm... my dwarves wear at least parts of their armor when they train.  I picked one dwarf at random who's training in the barracks, and she's sporting a steel mail shirt, a steel helm, two steel gauntlets (one per hand) over top of some silk mittens, a steel buckler, a steel battle axe, steel chain leggings, and one (1) one-humped camel leather high boot.  I don't know why her other foot is bare.

I created two squads.  I did not change their alerts, or schedule, or any of that stuff.  I created an above-ground barracks (some walls, some doors, an armor stand, and a weapon rack).  When I want one of the squads to train, I [q]uery the armor stand and define a barracks from it, and then assign the squad in question to [t]rain and store squad e[q]uipment there.  When I want them to stop training, I un-define the barracks.  If I want the other squad to train, I un-define, re-define, and re-assign.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #409 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:13 am »

Most of my dwarves are stark naked, including military ones  ???

I have a prospering clothing industry, how do I make them dress up...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 18, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »

I think it may be a problem caused by assigning specific items.  If you use a uniform everyone seems to equip the correct things.

Taeraresh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2010, 01:32:29 pm »

Not to bug ya too much, but any idea when .07 will be released? I could adapt to the farming thing, now that I understand the whole deal with the mud a bit better and can plan ahead, so I'm not that desperate about the farming bug now. The esc key issue is still a major hindrance to getting started (you know, DF OCD > > ) in fort mode, so.... yea.... :D

I'm just also bored, so.... :P heh......

Not going to keep bugging you about the release stuff though, just saying. :)

Glad you got used to the new farming FEATURE. It ISN'T a bug. And .07 could be released soon, just to give us a break from those bugs he's patched. That'd make me happy. And then .08 can be an all military/combat release...please?

Can you show me the quote from Toady saying that it's not a bug, please? People keep saying that, and I'm rather confused. If it really is a feature, it at least needs cleaned-up messages, and as others have suggested, an easier way to just have dwarves dump buckets of water on the floor.

-Taeraresh

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:05 pm »

Toady has stated that the requirement for mud on underground soil levels is in fact a bug. The requirement for mud on rock is not.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 18, 2010, 01:43:05 pm »

Toady has stated that the requirement for mud on underground soil levels is in fact a bug. The requirement for mud on rock is not.

Exactly, although I think the mud on rock requirement has been around since the 2D version.

I don't know why people keep insisting its NOT a bug.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 18, 2010, 01:57:27 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54115.msg1161513#msg1161513
Toady's actual words can be read there.

The whole confusion over the matter is because many people seem to have the opinion that all underground farming should require mud and so refuse to call even the soil related problems a bug.
And because most people just talk about 'underground farming' without differentiating between underground soil farming and underground rock farming.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 18, 2010, 02:07:04 pm »

At least the bug report for it is stickied up on the bug tracker. Those who are experienced with DF, they can adapt, but it makes the learning curve for those new to DF even steeper.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 18, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »

In my military equipment and uniforms screen, High Boots are listed as "(foreign)".  I also cannot craft High Boots in this fortress.

Is this a feature?  Has my Civ never discovered how to craft High Boots?  I've never seen this before.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2010, 02:33:14 pm »

Yeah, civs can have multiple pieces of armor/clothing for a given spot. If they do, the game chooses a random number of them for the civ to have. So you always have at least one type of boot armor, but not always both. Same way some civs have togas and others don't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

tacklemcclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 18, 2010, 05:14:37 pm »

Hey everyone!

I played Dwarf Fortress about a year ago and had a lot of fun.
Seeing as there's a lot of new activity now, I'm eager to start playing again.
I just wanna ask you guys what version to use. Is there a new version just about to come out? If so, is it better to wait, for savegames sake?

Any recommendations for spritepacks? I think I played with something called maydays before which was kinda good, but if there's something better I'd rather try that.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 18, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

Hey everyone!

I played Dwarf Fortress about a year ago and had a lot of fun.
Seeing as there's a lot of new activity now, I'm eager to start playing again.
I just wanna ask you guys what version to use. Is there a new version just about to come out? If so, is it better to wait, for savegames sake?

Any recommendations for spritepacks? I think I played with something called maydays before which was kinda good, but if there's something better I'd rather try that.

Go ahead and download .06. It's the newest out so far and is pretty good. .07 is coming out soon, but switching to it will be simple. And Mayday's is still the best. (In my opinion anyways.)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30