Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 103673 times)

Deathcrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 12:46:38 pm »

I can't get this version to run on linux.

The same holds true for 31.05. The newest version i can run successfully is 31.04 (at least it seems to work fine).

here's the console output when running 31.06:
Code: [Select]
./dwarfort.exe: Symbol `enabler' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Sound devices available:
ALSA Software
OSS Software
Picking ALSA Software. If your desired device was missing, make sure you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed. If you wanted a different device, configure ~/.openalrc appropriately.
Perfect OpenAL context attributes GET
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Then I get a "FATAL ERROR" with "Main index file missing/corrupted." I checked: The index file is there and accessible.

The first line from the console output doesn't appear when using 31.04, so there might be the problem?! Seems suspicous to me, maybe there was a mistake made at compilation.

PS: Haven't played this game yet, wanted to try it out today, but didn't want to start with an already obsolete version.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:48:51 pm by Deathcrow »

al103

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 12:52:07 pm »

Quick question - resource refuse - shells, bones and skull are still under body parts?

Yes, yes they are. It would seem that you can't separate them individually... you basically end up with hair and nerve tissue, teeth and hooves, and some other stuff too. There might be a way around this, but I can't figure it out.
So it's still either stockpile outside and no way to prevent valuable resources disappearance or stockpile inside and miasma? Damn!

Strongwords

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 12:54:45 pm »

When i try to specify an individual armor or weapon, i can't find the ones i've produced, in verson 03 this bug was fixed, but now it was back again.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 12:59:21 pm »

Hi!

PS: Haven't played this game yet, wanted to try it out today, but didn't want to start with an already obsolete version.

I understand this as you being a newbie to Dwarf Fortress, right? Welcome aboard, then.

As a few hints (besides going to the wiki and looking through the forums) I suggest the following things for starting:
* Turn off invaders - you do that via the d_init.txt file; you should study that file (and its sister init.txt) carefully as it allows you to customize the game on very basic levels. While combat is definitely one impressive part of the game, you will have enough you need to learn in dwarf mode, so I recommend you first learn the basics of making a fortress and then invite someone to party with :)

* Surface farming is your easiest source of food (if invaders are turned off). You don't need to irrigate the fields and if you embark in a place with some vegetation, you should have no trouble getting seeds.

* To get a feel for the game, you may actually want to first make one or two adventurers and explore the world a little bit. But that is not absolutely necessary.

Regardless of what you do, be ready to fail a few times, and feel free to ask people here for help. And most importantly, have fun!

Deathworks

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

Deathcrow: Don't unpack the .06 tarball on top of an existing DF directory. That will mess up all sorts of things, as you've seen.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »

Woot!

As a Linux guy I kicked the tires on 05 yesterday, and I just grabbed 2010.06. It looks like I'm back into DF. Thanks Toady, I knew DF 2010 was going to be great, but I didn't have enough time to try to play an unstable but glorious DF... It looks like this release will officially be the one that gets me back into the life destroying fun of DF. Cheers!

Deathcrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »

Regardless of what you do, be ready to fail a few times, and feel free to ask people here for help. And most importantly, have fun!

Deathworks
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to try the quickstart guide in the wiki with the 40d version thingy to get a hang of things and then try the newer versions again. Seems kinda complicated ;)

Deathcrow: Don't unpack the .06 tarball on top of an existing DF directory. That will mess up all sorts of things, as you've seen.
actually i thought of that already and deleted everything of 04 before trying 05 or 06. Either way it didn't work.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 01:31:42 pm »

The error message you posted made mention of dwarfort.exe. As that executable hasn't existed since .04, I must take your assertion with some doubt.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »

Ok with all the military bug we had, can we finaly equipthem and make them train without a lot of hassle? i havent followed the bugtracker that much nor released version. I just want a game where i can set squad, equip dwarf and send them to their glory without spending multple hours trying to equip them.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2010, 01:36:45 pm »

It's getting so close! Once the markdwarves are fixed I can actually start playing again, and toady secures another donation!
It was so disappointing to work for a long time on my fort, only to find it's fortification defences and archer towers were useless!  On that note, I'm guessing these updates are not backwards compatible with said fort?  :'(

Is the military completely fixed now in terms of equipment and training?
Same with hosiptals. do they work flawlessly now?   
I'm talking broadly, I don't mind the odd small bug that 3 people have, for example, lol.

Thanks.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

Yaaaaayy new version!

Yaaayyyy no black spots!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2010, 01:40:32 pm »

still no fixes on healthcare, supermigrants and orespam? Okay, i'll be sticking with 40d for a bit longer.
You speak as if you can't tweak orespam to the levels you want.
you can?
Edit the raws. Else wait for the CivForge mod to do it and see how it's done there.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2010, 01:45:28 pm »

Hi!

Deathcrow: The advice I have provided also works for 40d.

Actually, adventure mode becomes a bit more important as you can't get information about combat in 40d by default. Thus, you can't learn to get a feel for how combat is balanced by using fortress mode. With adventure mode, you will get very good descriptions on combat.

Tarran: I also had my Yay! moment: My fishers got fish again (the last few fortresses all had no fish)! I can activate artifacts again!

General: Mmmhhh, olivine stone doors when built are displayed like gem clusters (but when not built, they look normal) ...

Deathworks

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:05 pm »

You speak as if you can't tweak orespam to the levels you want.
you can?
Edit the raws. Else wait for the CivForge mod to do it and see how it's done there.

The raws won't necessarily work correctly, though.  (that's currently the catchall report for geology-related bugs)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2010, 01:49:36 pm »

Question: Whats the difference between Legacy and SDL versions?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30