Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 103664 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2010, 01:54:16 pm »

It's getting so close! Once the markdwarves are fixed I can actually start playing again, and toady secures another donation!
It was so disappointing to work for a long time on my fort, only to find it's fortification defences and archer towers were useless!  On that note, I'm guessing these updates are not backwards compatible with said fort?  :'(

Is the military completely fixed now in terms of equipment and training?
Same with hosiptals. do they work flawlessly now?   
I'm talking broadly, I don't mind the odd small bug that 3 people have, for example, lol.

Thanks.

Group training doesn't seem to be touched, solo training was working. And he addressed several issues with equipment, so that getting better.

The unable to stock crutches bug seems to be still in play, but I've had doctors do doctoring things without to much fail.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Deathcrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2010, 01:57:03 pm »

The error message you posted made mention of dwarfort.exe. As that executable hasn't existed since .04, I must take your assertion with some doubt.

Ahhha! :) You are correct! Thank you very much, I was able to solve the problem (With your hint ;).

If you are curious: My packet manager/builder somehow kept the old files in its temp folder and this way they got mixed. After deleting the temp folder and re-creating and reinstalling the package it works :)

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2010, 01:58:26 pm »

The new version looks great, and works even better.

For future improvements, I think the 'u' menu could use some work. No matter how many lines DF can use for displaying the map, the menu shows only 19 units per page. Maybe it could dynamically get the window size and use it accordingly?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2010, 01:59:29 pm »

I guess this didn't fix compound fractures being unhealable by surgery still? So my dwarven champions with broken toes are still bedridden until a later fix. :(

But yay for fixes! It's always nice to see a new version up!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2010, 02:02:46 pm »

Hi!

Ahhha! :) You are correct! Thank you very much, I was able to solve the problem (With your hint ;).

Good to see that resolved.

On a personal note, I personally believe that - provided you turn off invaders - 31.xx is easier to learn than 40d thanks to the improvements to 'a'nnouncements and 'r'eports. In addition, normal clothing provides better protection against animal attacks then in 40d and food production (which is always a priority in the game) seems to be more efficient.

However, that is just my impression, and there are people on both sides of the debate... (including newbies who use 40d and newbies who use 31.xx)

Deathworks

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2010, 02:07:10 pm »

Question: Whats the difference between Legacy and SDL versions?
The SDL version has a newer graphics engine, with support for resizing the window on the fly, .png/alpha tilesets, and support for mac/linux. It's not completely perfect yet so the legacy version is staying for a while.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2010, 02:08:22 pm »

Quick question - resource refuse - shells, bones and skull are still under body parts?

Yes, yes they are. It would seem that you can't separate them individually... you basically end up with hair and nerve tissue, teeth and hooves, and some other stuff too. There might be a way around this, but I can't figure it out.
So it's still either stockpile outside and no way to prevent valuable resources disappearance or stockpile inside and miasma? Damn!

Can't you create a dump zone inside and just pick out what you need from the refuse pile?
I haven't tried it, just a theory.
I suppose your dwarfs would try to move it back to the refuse pile once you unforbid it, though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:10:29 pm by culwin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

What about farming on non-muddied floors and the esc key thing? I would really like to be able to farm on dry soil again....

Anyways, definetly a cool update with all the fixes, especially the raw fixes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:01 pm »

What about farming on non-muddied floors and the esc key thing? I would really like to be able to farm on dry soil again....

The muddied floor doesn't seem to be a bug but a game mechanic change, similar to that of the new ramps via channeling. And you can still farm, sans irrigation with surface farming.

As for the esc thing, that also probably hear to stay, and can be binded to another key in the interface text file.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »

The muddied floor doesn't seem to be a bug but a game mechanic change, similar to that of the new ramps via channeling. And you can still farm, sans irrigation with surface farming.

As for the esc thing, that also probably hear to stay, and can be binded to another key in the interface text file.

By Esc key thing, I meant where you cannot exit the embark screen (both location finding and embark prep) by pressing the esc key (or any other button.

Some people say that the not being able to farm on a non muddied floor is a bug.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »

I've heard that too, but the cavern foliage makes me think otherwise.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

The mud requirement is certainly a lot of Fun. All the more reason to build a cistern though (just keep running the pumps after you've filled it and make that area your farm).

I haven't tested this version yet, but does anyone else think that screw pumps are just a bit too fast? A 10x10x5 cistern filled in less than a second, by the time I'd shut off the pump the cavern below was flooded as well (I'm very glad that my miners accidentally punched a hole into it when building the main staircase though, I have to remember to intentionally do that next time).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:12 pm »

Screw pumps have always been fast though. The more you have, the faster it gets drained.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2010, 02:36:42 pm »

Where's the bowing smilie?Toady deserves it. If I had money, I'd definitely donate some. Good job Toady!

Edit: We can bring .05 saves over, right?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:45 pm »

Screw pumps have always been fast though. The more you have, the faster it gets drained.

Yeah, but it seems rather odd that a single pump run by the fort's doctor who only got the job because he wasn't doing anything at the time can flash-flood the entire fortress while digging into a river floods ridiculously slowly...

If only someone had bothered to run the thing when I breached the HFS and wanted to use it as a "taking you down with me" sort of maneuver. Damn fort only last half an hour... DF is kind of boring after you play it a few times.

EDIT:
Also, is there an ETA on Core85 (adventurers building)? I'd take that over bugfixes (not gamebreaking ones of course, normal ones).

And if I had money, I would definitely give some to Toady. He's done a hell of a lot more than most programmers who get paid...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:47:29 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30