Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Oh. Oh..... dear.....  (Read 17259 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Oh. Oh..... dear.....
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:54:25 am »

So, says I, I have finally got this military thing worked out. Two squads versus one goblin ambushers. One squad completely encased in steel. The other... well, I'm having issues with that one. Still, AT LEAST one squad is working. Off they totter, glistening in the sun, 15 brave dwarven soldiers, the Pride of Bellock!

Ah.

Wrestling.... not so useful anymore, is it?

Oh wow. Oh, that's... that's sad, really. Oh. I am so screwed.... So much blood.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh. Oh..... dear.....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:03:04 am »

Haha you suck
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:33:02 am »

Hey, it's not his fault wrestling was nerfed.

Besides, he learned through SCIENCE, which is always a bonus. Especially when it's unintentional.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:29:19 am »

Is it going to stay that way, or is this just an artifact of getting the mechanics right?
While talking to AJ:

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:42:29 am »

Unarmored unarmed wrestlers shouldn't be able to defeat armored and armed opponents like goblins, they should be useful only against wild animals and beasts and such. My opinion.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:57:18 am »

Unarmored unarmed wrestlers shouldn't be able to defeat armored and armed opponents like goblins, they should be useful only against wild animals and beasts and such. My opinion.
Equally armoured wrestlers should fight on an equal footing with same experience, similarly armoured, armed foes imo.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:59:23 am »

There is a reason most soldiers in history preferred to carry weapons.   ;D
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:12:30 am »

If only there was a disarm ability in wrestling. Or intelligent targetting (punching faces which aren't covered by armour). Then you could train up legendary wrestlers who pull of martial arts monk feats. Oh wait, you'd also need the attribute training system to be fixed too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:43:43 am »

You can grab their weapon and put it in your inventory, and you can I guess my sarcas-o-meter was off for a second. Yeah it would be great to choose what to punch, instead of closing your eyes and hitting whatever was in the way. At least you can break joints to disarm them.
While talking to AJ:

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:09:37 am »

I'd say wrestling skill should be a factor in other forms of combat (that don't involve archery, of course, and perhaps strictly two-handed weapons).

I mean, bare hands lose against sword almost every time, but a swordsman who knows how grab and punch with with the free hand or use feet to kick and trip would be at an advantage in a lot of situations.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:13:47 am »

I think a shield or weapon should allways be a greater advantage then an empty hand. Armor or no armor.

That said, it would be nice for creature to wrestle (or any other way of fighting) a bit more intelligentely. Stop puncing left toes, stop grapling earrings, stop beating on the unconcious guy and focus on the one thats trying to tear your head off. Lots more there, like, weapon length isnt taken into account at all and handling weapons twohanded doesnt seem to yield any advantage.

The combat system improved a lot but its far from finished. Odd balancing is the least to expect.

Still, armoring an army in steel but not giving them any weapons is something you can expect to go wrong.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:11 am »

Steel battle axes are your friend, seriously.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 10:21:05 am »

☼Steel battle axes☼ are your friend, seriously.
Fixed, because there is no such thing as overkill.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 10:22:53 am »

☼Steel battle axes☼ are your friend, seriously.
Fixed, because there is no such thing as overkill.
Touché.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:38 am »

There is a reason most soldiers in history preferred to carry weapons.   ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6