Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Build Order  (Read 1357 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Build Order
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »

I'm working on refining my build order for new bases and I'm running into some hitches. It seems like my 5 week hiatus has left me stupid as I've already had to abandon three forts by virtue of not bringing key things.

Right now here's the build order I've got:
deconstruct wagon
carpenter's workshop
scout cliff face for suitable entrance
dig nearby exploration shaft to find caverns
mason's workshop
dormitory
farm plot
food/booze/seed storage bins
mechanic's workshop
irrigation
dining hall
craftsdwarf's workshop
???????

I've just wound up making crafts endlessly while I go durr durr durr (or I forget to bring food altogether and don't even get that far.)

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
Re: Build Order
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:04:36 pm »

You really need to work on that build order, I can have Zerglings on you before you hit the caverns.  CAN'T HIDE NOW! 
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:39:13 pm »

You really need to work on that build order, I can have Zerglings on you before you hit the caverns.  CAN'T HIDE NOW!
No wai, i haz vikings superfast!

On that note, is the military behaving itself better than it was in .2?

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:50:19 pm »

No wai, i haz vikings superfast!

On that note, is the military behaving itself better than it was in .2?

No =) Military is currently somewhat bugged, but military bugs are the first ones to be ironed out in the next few releases.

Personally, I prefer to 1. Dig out small preliminary "fort" with a couple of rooms for storage 2. Haul all embark goods there, incl. dismantled wagon 3. Dig couple more rooms and simultaneously build doors for this small fort, also 7 beds, chairs and tables, then set up dormitory  4. Start digging out main fortress entrance, pre-designed for best security (labyrinth of doom, bridges, archery fortifications...) 5. Set up farming. 6. ??? 7. Transfer all goods, food and furniture to the unfinished main fortress. This usually happens before mid-summer.

That probably sums it up, although I should mention I set up farms near water and then consider carving my main dining hall under the farms, which influences placement of a main entrance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:00:41 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:57:56 pm »

My order is a slight bit different

Embark on swamp/forest, all flat with a stream/brook in a corner.

Find center, dig 4x4 area, staircase in each corner straight down.  Wall up cavern till later
Hit magma.
Pump magma to sand layer while setting up farms.
Set up the glass furnances and put plump helmets on loop.

Have my two glass makers get to work making glass, any immigrants with glass making gets new glass furnances, if they have a good skill (Doctor, armor/weapon smith, anything my starting 7 had so they can go 1 job each) get hauling on and their skill left.  Everyone else gets hauling and masonry.  I build my 64x64 castle into the heavens.

6,829 green glass blocks as of yet. 95 dwarves, whole fort is 5 levels high and if roofed over.  :3

My only defence being cage traps filled with green glass cages.  when the seige came I squashed half with the bridge (I know, shame) and caught the rest. 27 gobbos and 2 elves ( Turns out when I go to mark them to be traded back to the elves, they always escape, so I put them in my mayors room) caught. 

The only military I have is a carpenter and (The only one I got) peasant I've taken to calling armok.  Both axedwarves decked in steel.  When the ettin came armok got his hand smashed open by being punched in it, then fainted out of consciousness while the ettin wasn't able to do anything else.  (He had steel gauntlets btw)  Then the carpenter came and chopped off both of it's head in the first two swings of battle.  I've taken the liberty of renaming both.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.