Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Oh. Oh..... dear.....  (Read 17271 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: Oh. Oh..... dear.....
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 11:54:09 am »

This is the first time I'd gotten any sort of semblance of military activity to work properly, and I was still so in that 40d mindset. Ah well. C'est le Forteresse de Nain
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 04:17:08 pm »

No really, back in 40d, there was a reason a legendary wrestler was a legendary wrestler; it was because (s)he could tear a goblin limb from limb in seconds WITH HIS/HER BARE HANDS! What could be more badass? (see holistic detective of headshoots fame).
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 04:19:50 pm »

No really, back in 40d, there was a reason a legendary wrestler was a legendary wrestler; it was because (s)he could tear a goblin limb from limb in seconds WITH HIS/HER BARE HANDS! What could be more badass? (see holistic detective of headshoots fame).

Carrying around said limb and batting other goblins off the map with it?

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »

Carrying around said limb and batting other goblins off the map with it?
Heh.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

Seriously, go with axes.
One of my trained wrestlers spent 60 report pages trying to gouge out the eyes of a gazelle. He died of thirst.

One of my barely trained axedwarves met a gazelle, sliced a leg off, then did a solomon on it.
He kept on slicing in half everything he met, often before the ennemy could react.

My point is, wrestlers are bad, axes are good.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »

Well, i ended up savescumming. It was remarkable, in under three minutes I'd gone from 59 dwarves to about nine. I was looking away when my founder died, alas, but i did watch the last mayor toddle out into the wilderness before he was cut down. The end was kind of poignant, actually, looking at my best minor as she stood weeping in the empty dining hall. The fortress was so quiet, and aboveground was covered in corpses.

Anyways, one's an axedwarf squad, and the others are spearmen. WHile he died doing, one of my axedwarf beheaded a Fire Man all on his lonesome. I guess he died of burns or something.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »

Dwarves aren't kung fu monks.

Give them lots of armor, axes and booze. Things will get done.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 07:18:01 pm »

Unarmored unarmed wrestlers shouldn't be able to defeat armored and armed opponents like goblins, they should be useful only against wild animals and beasts and such. My opinion.
Equally armoured wrestlers should fight on an equal footing with same experience, similarly armoured, armed foes imo.

Wrestling should be a supplementary skill, not a mainline fighting skill. Seriously, you expect a Greco-Roman wrestler with a cestus to beat someone armed with weapons that don't require him to grab the other guy?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »

Put Wrestling as a Side Skill and make sure that the dwarfs don't start wrestling the other guy when he has thousands of weapons in his hands

and yep , it does happen

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 10:53:38 pm »

☼«☼Steel battle axes☼»☼ are your friend, seriously.
Fixed, because there is no such thing as overkill.
Touché.
what about decorations?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »

☼«☼Steel battle axes☼»☼ are your friend, seriously.
Fixed, because there is no such thing as overkill.
Touché.
what about decorations?

This is a masterful Steel battle axe. It menaces with masterfully worked spikes of awesome.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 11:02:10 pm »

I was thinking more depictions of its kills.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:58 pm »

This is a masterful steel battle axe. It menaces with rotting shards of goblin brain.

Asellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 11:44:45 pm »

This is a masterful steel battle axe. It menaces with rotting shards of goblin brain.
Would that axe attract zombies?

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 11:58:42 pm »

Yes. In the sense that zombies would inexplicably become part of the decoration.

Positive miasma?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6