Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Oh. Oh..... dear.....  (Read 16953 times)

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh. Oh..... dear.....
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 02:54:48 pm »

Rovod because he has a way with words?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

It's an honest mistake that most of us made with our first army in the new version. This is because we used to be able to send wrestlers in the kick ass. Now that you know, start pumping out those axes.

Weellll....you can't deny these two are very, very different:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3568/pic1yb.png
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5701/pic2a.png

Guess which one will do better as a soldier ;)

They would both make terrible soldiers. They are both missing their upper body :(

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 03:10:37 pm »

:D

Haha well, my current soldiers aren't exacly top-of-the-tier, but what can I do, my best military dwarves died one at a time during several years of multiple ambushes + multiple sieges. Sometimes my soldiers were outnumbered by 1:4, almost 1:5 by goblins and their pets/mounts + trolls :(

So I had to show some of the dead guys, 'cause alive ones have only avarage stats.. but my fortress stands \o/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:12:43 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2010, 05:19:23 pm »

In my case, stats are dictated by this little flow chart:

Migrant
                                        |
                                        |
                                    Useful?
                                   |        |
                                   |        |
                                  Yes     No
                                   |         |
                                   |         |
                                   A         ------- New recruit!
                                 Bed
                                Is over there

Weellll....you can't deny these two are very, very different:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3568/pic1yb.png
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5701/pic2a.png

Guess which one will do better as a soldier ;)

Someone has to trip and catch all the arrows.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:58 pm »

In Legacy, is it possible to mount a pet?

Anyways, I don't really take so much time to build an army. A few marksmen, say two, on each side of the fort is very effective on minor sieges, but the disadvantage is:

1. I build towers for each side (very humanlike, but works on dwarves)
2. Bolts. if there's too many, they'll have to go back and forth to get some ammo, even with a quiver.
3. Haulers. you'll need haulers to take the bolts far up to the surface.
4. Melee combat. No marksdwarf can take many enemies too close.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »

It's somewhat sad that no one here noticed how both of the candidates were without an UPPER BODY. I'd think that lacking that would make both not viable for the military or for citizen work, on account of being dead.

Now if they were zombies skeletons...
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2010, 06:45:04 pm »

Now, as far as skills are concerned, two things;

First, Don't our dwarves develop skills still? Or is that an as-of-yet not implemented feature.

Second, even if the flimsy tired dwarf does suck long term as a soldier, that is one more target to take the minds of the goblins off the capable, utopian dwarven super-soldiers... Kind of like unleashing a horde of kittens in your entryway to distract the goblins, but better armored, and with bigger teeth.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »

You're talking about lions cladded in steel armors, right?  :D

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

To be honest, if they both are missing their upper bodies, they're even in that regard.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2010, 10:22:54 pm »

Maybe not--the armored one could hit harder when slamming into an unsuspecting target, even if the upper half of the body is gone.

Come on, haven't any of you done a historical re-enactment of the Siege of Gondor, and flung corpse parts with your bridges?
igless

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2010, 10:26:27 pm »

In 40d, my wrestlers could put dents in goblin armor and skulls and grab arrows with their pecs and break them in half. Now? The wrestlers are pincushions.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

Arena tests show that wrestling is really only useful against other wrestlers, which is somewhat closer to real life.

Also remember that your legendary wrestler probably got that high through individual sparring at this point. A quick arena test shows that with grand master in all the appropriate unarmed combat skills, from fighting and striking to dodging and wrestling (I even threw in biting) the wrestler had a decent chance against an unskilled dwarf with an axe. The end result was the axedwarf with everything but his left upper arm broken, while the wrestler was missing his right arm. But you give that axedwarf some basic axe training and it's all over. Weapons always trump unarmed.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2010, 12:51:14 am »

What I've found is that wrestlers are useless on their own, but scatter a couple of them throughout your weaponized squads, and awesome things happen! as they wrestle with your baddies, the baddies will be too busy trying to not get strangled, and getting out of joint locks to fight back at all. Leaving your weapon users to more or less just finish them off.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 12:56:57 am »

I imagine it now...

*A wrestler is holding a goblin's hands behind his back and an axedwarf is hitting the goblin*
Wrestler: HEY watch it, you almost hit me that time!
Axedwarf: Well sorry, you're pretty hard to see behind that goblin!

In 40d I saw training non marksdwarf weaponized military as a pain in the ass, as it takes years for them to get a title like "Sworddwarf".

Then it ends up turning to wrestler because he dodges a split second after that and gains wrestling experience.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2010, 02:00:45 am »

You're talking about lions cladded in steel armors, right?  :D

Ummmm..... I was wondering what to do with my day tomorrow, and I think I have to make a mod now!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6