Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1981816 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.07] [V12]
« Reply #1560 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:55 am »

LucasUP - the LNP used to default to a graphics set (Phoebus), now it does not (correct?). Any particular reason for this? Is this likely to be the way of LNP in the future?

ta!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

LucasUP - the LNP used to default to a graphics set (Phoebus), now it does not (correct?). Any particular reason for this? Is this likely to be the way of LNP in the future?

ta!
Good question. Mostly because it gives incentive to actually use the GUI and pick what pack/settings you want. I used to set the graphics up, and then the settings up, in a specific way. But this effort was lost to anyone who wanted to change anything, and it gave an impression that DF was modded to begin with.
Also this way, DF starts VANILLA (with exception of added embarks) and is only changed with YOUR commands. That way you know exactly what is being done to the game.
If you or anyone has a better suggestion or preference though, I'll take it into consideration.

Hey Lucas you f****ng rox! BTW nice elephants! :D
I have Nice Pants, but all my elephants are still in Stephanie's.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:04:17 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:12 pm »

Next version of LNP Suggestions. 

1. Replace the exotics button with an imigrant skill stripping button.

2. Remove CSI:Arnok from the newb maps for beginners. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Rummie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 10, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »

I apologize if this has been brought up in one of the other 100's of pages here, but I am having the most difficult time with this.

I downloaded the LNP and unzipped it directly to my desktop.  I did not modify the folder structure in any way.  I'm able to start the LNP program and install graphics packages, but I am unable to launch DF or DT from here.  Both launch fine if I navigate to there executables and start from there.  However, DT refuses to connect with a running game (paused at load of my fortress) saying "I'm sorry. I'm having trouble connecting to DF. I can't seem to locate the PEB address of the process."

When I try to run DF or DT through the LNP I get the following error: "Access to the path '...\DwarfTherapist 0.6.12\\runProgram.bat'  Access is Denied "

I'm dying to try out Dwarf Therapist.  Having played off and on for a couple years without its help I finally have a fortress with over 120 dwarves and it is becoming a nightmare to manage.

I made a lengthier post on Reddit about these troubles with no solution so far.  I figured I'd come to the source.  Running on windows 7.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:10:16 pm by Rummie »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:21 pm »

I don't really understand your suggestions.
1) What's meant and involved in "stripping" immigrant skills? This sounds like more of a DFHack feature request.
2) What are you talking about?

I apologize if this has been brought up in one of the other 100's of pages here, but I am having the most difficult time with this.

I downloaded the LNP and unzipped it directly to my desktop.  I did not modify the folder structure in any way.  I'm able to start the LNP program and install graphics packages, but I am unable to launch DF or DT from here.  Both launch fine if I navigate to there executables and start from there.  However, DT refuses to connect with a running game (paused at load of my fortress) saying "I'm sorry. I'm having trouble connecting to DF. I can't seem to locate the PEB address of the process."

When I try to run DF or DT through the LNP I get the following error: "Access to the path '...\DwarfTherapist 0.6.12\\runProgram.bat'  Access is Denied "

I'm dying to try out Dwarf Therapist.  Having played off and on for a couple years without its help I finally have a fortress with over 120 dwarves and it is becoming a nightmare to manage.

I made a lengthier post on Reddit about these troubles with no solution so far.  I figured I'd come to the source.  Running on windows 7.

Try moving the pack to a different folder, or your desktop.You may have it in a protected folder that restricts certain kinds of access, where did you put it?
EDIT: Sorry didn't see that you said it was on your desktop. Do you have Mincrosoft .NET 3.5 installed?
I'm actually newly on Windows 7 myself, and testing now I'm able to launch/run everything fine with the pack when in my Desktop, my User folders, and my Libraries/Document folders.
Only managed to run into a problem when I put it in the protected system32 folder.

EDIT 2: Do you have any anal virus/blocking/protection programs which would limit access like this?
Given that Dwarf Therapist is also giving you troubles launched by itself, it suggests a larger problem, not just with Lazy Newb Pack
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:09:30 pm by LucasUP »

Rummie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 10, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »

Cleared all DF folders on my computer (losing my most successful fortress : (.  Restarted my computer.  Reinstalled the LNP, made sure my firewall had no issues and now everything is running dandy.

I have no idea what was wrong with the original... 

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 10, 2012, 03:50:28 pm »

I don't really understand your suggestions.
1) What's meant and involved in "stripping" immigrant skills? This sounds like more of a DFHack feature request.
2) What are you talking about?

1. It's a new init setting Toady put in in the latest version, it makes it so that migrants have no labours set upon arival (usefull if you don't use workshop profiles and only want high quality products. ie.only having legendary dwarves doing carpentry/masonry/etc)
2. I have absolutly no idea what he means?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 10, 2012, 06:44:34 pm »

2. CSI:Arnok?  Lazy Newb world, sets demons to 0, I just thought it would be wise to also set vampires to 0, thereby eliminating CSI:Arnok, the new murderous content, mainly applicable for the adventure player or advanced fortress player.  Know what I mean?  CSI, crime scene investigation or uncover the vampire.  Until newbs get the swing of things, and seek more of a challenge, they aughta steer very far away from these CSI:Arnok fortresses.  As things are now, even with the limited migration of vampires, one will still drasticly increase difficulty in fortress mode, murdering without reason essential folks, like that legendary miner. 

1.  Yup.  Exotics button doesn't work anymore, now that Dungeon Master got fixed.  And you hit the head on the nail with 'stripping' the migrants, daveralph1234.  It would be a nice init feature to toggle in the GUI, like liquid depth.  However, I guess the LNP init editor provides for a way to edit this feature.  Button would be cool, to have.  I just suggested relabeling  Exotics with it.. that swap seemed like a shoe fit for a foot.

That's all I meant.  Sorry for any cornfusion.  One other suggestion comes to mind. 

3.  As I was looking in LNP's Utility Tab, LucasUP.  There below the list of installed utilities is a button, 'Update List'.  Know it?  When I think of update I think of patching or installing new versions.  This button just reads wrong.  The button title should read, 'Refresh List' or just 'Refresh'.  Isn't all it doing? Refreshing those folders?  Its not going out on the web and updating anything is it?  If it is supposed to update them, its not working.  Its just refreshing the apps we put or you put in the app folder, right?  That's refresh.  Not update.  Maybe this is just a windows wording thing.  *shrug*  Makes more sense to me if it said, 'Refresh' and not 'Update List'.  I wanna believe its actually comparing versions and updating something when I hit that, and when it doesn't, a sad face appears in my mind.  I've done that now with a couple versions.  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 10, 2012, 06:59:40 pm »

Cleared all DF folders on my computer (losing my most successful fortress : (.  Restarted my computer.  Reinstalled the LNP, made sure my firewall had no issues and now everything is running dandy.

I have no idea what was wrong with the original...

I don't think you had a copy of DT's executable file, where LNP's utility was looking for it.  Somehow it got moved, or renamed, or something.  Did you try installing that improved DT, with the attribute scripts, before this all started happening?  Just curious.  The batch error from LNP lead me to believe this.  *shrug*  Glad its working now for you.

Next time, backup the entire ../Region 1 folder somewhere, so you don't lose your fortress.  Then put it back, into the new DF install, exactly where you took it out.  So you don't lose your work.  I drag and drop it, onto my desktop, when I do it.  Theres no real good save game code in DF, cuz its supposed to be an antiscumsaving permadeath game.  If that makes any sense.  HA!

Take care, Knutor

Baselope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:03 pm »

I am so lazy I only play the latest version of DF when the latest version of LNP comes out to match it.  I hope there aren't any zombies or cats in this one.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »

I don't think you had a copy of DT's executable file, where LNP's utility was looking for it.  Somehow it got moved, or renamed, or something.  Did you try installing that improved DT, with the attribute scripts, before this all started happening?  Just curious.  The batch error from LNP lead me to believe this.  *shrug*  Glad its working now for you.
Nah, that couldn't have been it: the batch file is a temp file made at runtime, and the batch file was what the LNP was having trouble accessing. The problem was almost assuredly something wonky with file permissions. No idea how that happened, but at least a re-install fixed it.

And yeah, backing up saves is a good idea if you ever have to re-install in the future. ;)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:30 pm »

Considering this thread, have you thought about putting everything into an installer?
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 12, 2012, 02:35:32 am »

Considering this thread, have you thought about putting everything into an installer?

I replied to the thread, I think he's just missing .net 3.5.
I have considered it, but I heard Toady shut down another utility pack which featured an installer. Also really there should be no need for one, I don't even know if I could include pre-reqs like .net with it easily. It would be cool to have a screen which asks you what utilities you want (and then there could just be one download, but the installer asks if you want to have DFHack or not, or have checkboxes for each utilitiy)

EDIT: Maybe I could do a self-extracting archive? Sort of a mid-way between installer and zip file. Zips seem more... friendly and safe then just a single .exe to download, but if it makes things easier maybe I'll test it out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:23:27 pm by LucasUP »

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:36 am »

Anyone else having issues downloading LNP-Adv? My download from DFFD has broken three times now, around 8 or 9MB. Trying the mediafire download now...

Edit: Mediafire worked fine.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:38:30 am by JarinArenos »

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 13, 2012, 09:29:43 pm »

Anyone else notice that lots of textures from the Mayday tileset are missing?
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 137