Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1982509 times)

Kimril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V15] Now Open Source!
« Reply #1980 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:57 am »

Righto thanks for that! :)

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:44 am »

Hi LucasUP. May I suggest that you change the first post to explicitly say "Download" on or near the download links? I was talking to a friend about DF, and he came here out of curiosity, but, in his words, "I almost downloaded the lazy newb pack, but then I couldn't find the download link, so, not lazy enough." He didn't know what DFFD or Mediafire was, so the current labels didn't help him.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 01, 2013, 12:45:35 pm »

@Goncyn: Good suggestion, it is done!
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Lions!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 03, 2013, 01:12:39 am »

Just made an account to say, cross platform doesn't work with OSX. I am on the most recent version of Lion (NOT Mountain Lion), if that makes a difference. Here is what happens, and please tell me if I am missing something as I might have. I installed the version, moved it to applications, and then clicked on the "lazy-newbpack-gui-0.3.5.jar". The GUI pops up, but when I click on the "Play Dwarf Fortress" button it fails to work, as if it connected to nothing. Whoops.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 03, 2013, 11:16:24 am »

Hey Lions,

Thanks for the feedback. The current version doesn't really show anything if something goes wrong. So it's hard to determine what causes your problem. I'm working on releasing a version which shows a message that can be copy/pasted to the forum when something goes horribly wrong.

The new version will at least contain Dwarf Therapist for all platforms and hopefully also SoundSense. SoundSense is a bit of a challenge however. It works on Windows (of course), but until now I couldn't get it to work on my Ubuntu 12.10 virtual machine. Any help with creating a ready-to-use SoundSense package for Linux/OSX which can be included in LNP would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Oh, got SoundSense working now on Linux and Mac OSX. Apparenly when I use the SoundSense auto-updater, files won't get put in the correct places so they won't load... Gonna work on releasing a new version later this evening, hopefully.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:01:42 pm by Dricus »

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 03, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

A new release of my cross platform edition, including 2 utilities has arrived. Because I'd like as many people as possible to test this release, I've decided to create my own thread.

Check it out right here

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 07, 2013, 10:35:50 pm »

I have noticed that the Dwarf Therapist in this pack is not exactly the most advanced Dwarf Therapist variant in existence.  Any particular reason for that?  I mean, not that it's hard to download my DT of choice, but I would assume the default should be the most advanced one.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: April 08, 2013, 04:55:27 am »

It's the lazy NOOB pack.

The more advanced therapist isn't for noobs, it's for anal retentives.

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:25 am »

It's the lazy NOOB pack.

The more advanced therapist isn't for noobs, it's for anal retentives.

It says it at least three times on any random section of this thread. Its the Lazy Newb Pack.
If you're wondering if there's a difference, read Definition of Noob:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob
Section II. Defining 'Noob' should clear things up.

In any case the pack is meant for people who are new at the game. Having tools that are simple but offer more complex functionality are fine in my opinion.

I have noticed that the Dwarf Therapist in this pack is not exactly the most advanced Dwarf Therapist variant in existence.  Any particular reason for that?  I mean, not that it's hard to download my DT of choice, but I would assume the default should be the most advanced one.

As to why a more recent version has not been added. I assume you're talking about Splinterz branch
https://code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes/source/list Last updated 01-03-2013
Not the original project last updated in June 2012 https://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/source/list

I remember LNP's author (LucasUP) talking about this simply mentioning he thought it a good idea to use Splinterz branch but simply hadn't gotten around to making a new version of LNP. However! LNP has just turned open source and although that may mean much quicker updates in the future, until everything is sorted out it might take a while until the new LNP will be released.
So until then its up to you to keep your utilities up to date!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1989 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:22 am »

I know that I am repeating myself, but I thought it would be fitting for this thread as well. I made a mod that uses an altered LNP GUI, aimed only at improving FPS and fixing bugs. Its a merge of Accelerated DF, Modest Mod and the LNP.

Together you have a faster, more balanced and less buggy DF. No gameplay changes. I altered the LNP GUI slightly and included it alongside a handful of utilities and a small readme into the download. I currently support 3 tilesets, Ascii, Phoebus and Ironhand. The utilities are the newest, like splinterz Therapist 20.4, the new soundsense and dfhack r3 with a handful of custom scripts that raise user accessability.

Just wanted to leave this information here. :) Mod can be found here
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

monkeyd_ace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 12, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »

Hi Guys I'm a newbie trying to get into Dwarf Fortress. I've been trying to download the Newbie Pack but it won't work. Dwarf Fortress works but the newbie pack always automatically shuts down.

I tried installing Microsoft .NET 3.5, but for some reason it's also not installing.
Can anyone pls. Help?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 12, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »

You probably need to install .NET 3.5 as an administrator. Otherwise, I don't know what you're doing wrong...
Do you have a more detailed error message? (Put in spoiler)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

monkeyd_ace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 13, 2013, 11:02:43 am »

I tried updating my Microsoft and restarting my computer and it finally worked. I was able to  install 3.5 so I got my newbie pack running. Thanks anyway.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 17, 2013, 03:31:44 am »

Hi everyone - and thanks for the awesome ease-of use that is the LNP.   

I've been using the LNP for ages, and lurking for awhile as I worked on the whole package of utilities/plugins/conflicting bits, found info on incompatibilities, and generally built upon the advanced LNP. 

And then about a week after I got a setup I was happy with, I found this.  http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1b412c/hyperhoppers_customized_lnp_setup/

It is exactly what I ended up with, with only one difference and is now my default recommendation for anyone who asks for utilities etc.  That difference is that I think the included soundsense was at r38 and should be updated to r41 - but I can't be bothered downloading it again to check. 

Would it be possible to update the advanced LNP to this? I realise that there is a new version in development - but surely it can't be too hard to re-host the file (maybe also re-compress from 7-zip to .zip) and edit the front post appropriately?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 19, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »

I've been trying to download the latest version of the LNP, either version (advanced or not) and I keep getting the download interrupted. It says: C:ectLazyNewbPack Advanced [0.34.11] [V15].zip could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

I don't know how to go about getting this fixed so I can make the download. Can it be fixed at your end?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 137