Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1982159 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V15] Now Open Source!
« Reply #1995 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48:33 pm »

That is actually a problem with either DFFD, or Mediafire, depending on where you downloaded from.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 19, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »

You were right. I switched to Mediafire and it downloaded fine.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 04, 2013, 05:34:20 am »

I think this is a bug in the Lazy Newb pack.  I have my sound enabled and set to volume 255.  It is also enabled and set to 255 in init.txt.  When I install the Ironhand graphics set, my sound volume goes to 0.  When I install Phoebus, my sound volume goes to 255 but sound goes to NO.

Why does installing graphics sets change sound settings?

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 04, 2013, 05:36:58 am »

OK I just had a look and I'm guessing the Lazy Newb pack is just copying over the init.txt files from the various graphics set directories to install the graphics set.  So therefore I would propose a new feature:

When installing a graphics set, have Lazy Newb pack store various init.txt settings not related to graphics.  Copy over the new graphics set's init.txt, but then overwrite the stored non-graphics settings to what they were.  Can we have that please?  :)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 05, 2013, 12:43:50 am »

Hi everyone!   

Can we please please please update the utilities bundled, at least for the advanced pack?  It's getting painful having to update dfhack, dwarf therapist, falconne plugins etc every time - I ended uploading my pack entire just to save time (except that soundsense pack can't be bundled due to file size) at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 - a third link, or rehosting, whatever it takes to get a pack which  really is for the lazy. 

GUI v16 will be awesome when debugged (I'm particularly looking forward to utilities launching with 'play df') but a content update is more urgent when compatibility with new stuff for newbs is at stake.   Steal mine - or someone else's - please.  Soon. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:25:27 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: May 05, 2013, 05:15:05 am »

Hi everyone!   

Can we please please please update the utilities bundled, at least for the advanced pack?  It's getting painful having to update dfhack, dwarf therapist, falconne plugins etc every time - I ended uploading my pack entire just to save time (except that soundsense pack can't be bundled due to file size) athttp://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 - a third link, or rehosting, whatever it takes to get a pack which  really is for the lazy.
I downloaded it recently and got DF 0.6.12 which I think is the latest stable version?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 05, 2013, 06:35:00 am »

Yeah, that's the last ever version of the classic DT - Splintermind's fork is now the only version being updated and maintained.  Unfortunately it hasn't been as well publicised as it maybe should, and this is a perfect example :-/

Get the newer version here - it has all the old functions, and some new ones along with a bunch of bugfixes. 

If you just want a grid for labor assignments, there are dfhack plugins (dwarf monitor (separate DL) and something included?) which put a box in the frame with number of dwarves at each happiness level, and add an option to the units screen for in-game grid labor assignments.  I only use therapist to check rather arcane stuff these days, and the autolabor plugin the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:13:03 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2002 on: May 07, 2013, 03:51:01 am »

Yeah, that's the last ever version of the classic DT - Splintermind's fork is now the only version being updated and maintained.  Unfortunately it hasn't been as well publicised as it maybe should, and this is a perfect example :-/

Get the newer version at https://code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes - it has all the old functions, and some new ones along with a bunch of bugfixes. 

If you just want a grid for labor assignments, there are dfhack plugins (dwarf monitor (separate DL) and something included?) which put a box in the frame with number of dwarves at each happiness level, and add an option to the units screen for in-game grid labor assignments.  I only use therapist to check rather arcane stuff these days, and the autolabor plugin the rest of the time.

Splintermind's fork is very usefull for one important thing that no other tools allows: Noble assigment, because it allows you to see dwarf likes/dislikes when you are selecting baron.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 07, 2013, 04:02:06 am »

Get the newer version at https://code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes - it has all the old functions, and some new ones along with a bunch of bugfixes. 

I see what you mean, that fork is pretty cool and should be bundled with this pack I agree.  It did crash randomly on me once (but then so did Dwarf Fortress at one time, when I tried to embark on the maximum map size allowed!)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 07, 2013, 08:51:01 am »

Okay, just checking in to register a small iota of dissatisfaction.

I've been running a set of 'newbie tutorials' that I've advertised on Reddit (old example) hoping to bring more people into this wonderful game of ours. It's been my practice to recommend the LNP as an easy way to get the game installed for new players, to make the process of editing some RAW/Init features easy, and to facilitate trying out tilesets/ASCII as needed.

I really can't do this if the LNP is out of date - it is perhaps the worst thing to do to a new player!

• DFHack is on r3.
  • Therapist is woefully out of date and everyone's using the Splintermind branch now.
  • Soundsense and its soundpack have been updated.

I'm sure this list is not inclusive. LNP is currently suffering from version rot. I love the GUI, guys, but it's the tools that make or break LNP. Find a user willing to change them out, and repoint the download links. Get one of the crew to revisit this, and post an update to the tools as of this point - just don't leave the newbies out in the cold.

Is there no way we can get a tools-only update of the older GUI while the bugfixing and code changes are ongoing? Pretty please?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:53:53 am by Nameless Archon »

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 07, 2013, 10:44:55 am »

I'm sure this list is not inclusive. LNP is currently suffering from version rot. I love the GUI, guys, but it's the tools that make or break LNP. Find a user willing to change them out, and repoint the download links. Get one of the crew to revisit this, and post an update to the tools as of this point - just don't leave the newbies out in the cold.
Someone already did that.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622
And only LucasUP can edit the links on the front page and he hasn't been active in the past month (I'm guessing due to exams).

There's also a new version of the GUI (v16.1) waiting to be made official (with LucasUP's permission). http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7426

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:57 pm »

Someone already did [update the pack].
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622
And only LucasUP can edit the links on the front page and he hasn't been active in the past month (I'm guessing due to exams).

There's also a new version of the GUI (v16.1) waiting to be made official (with LucasUP's permission). http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7426

Hi - can anyone build a copy of V16.1, instead of just source code?  I love open source, but as a non-programmer the source is less useful to me than the actual .exe - I'll try building a copy, but with no idea what I'm doing it probably won't go too well.  EDIT:  seems to be working.  Still, could be useful for someone else. Edit#2:  actually is included in bin/Debug, and I feel like an idiot. 

Expect r2 of my LNP pack in the next few days.  EDIT:  up now, includes mayday graphics and new GUI, launches soundsense and mouse fortress by default

[also, can someone share the link markup used here?  I keep posting URLs, and would prefer to hide them.  thanks]

Also also, I'd be perfectly happy for my pack to rehosted instead of switching download links, even without attribution (though I would prefer it).  I'm maintaining it because I can atm, not planning for the long haul. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:04:09 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 10, 2013, 06:07:41 pm »

Does anyone know where I can get the .31.16 version of the LNP or something similar? Just looking for a good tileset, whatever version of DF Hack that would be compatible, Dwarf Therapist. My computer is having problems with the current version of DF and I keep losing good games to FPS death.

I know the OP has a site that might have the older versions but I can't get a full version of LNP to download from it.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 10, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »

Does anyone know where I can get the .31.16 version of the LNP or something similar? Just looking for a good tileset, whatever version of DF Hack that would be compatible, Dwarf Therapist. My computer is having problems with the current version of DF and I keep losing good games to FPS death.

I know the OP has a site that might have the older versions but I can't get a full version of LNP to download from it.
You can downgrade the current version of the LNP by replacing the included Dwarf Fortress folder with the version that you want to use, then just install DFhack for that version.
Dwarf therapist and most other utilities have backward compatibility and I think tilesets should still work.
DF Hack forum thread

If your having trouble with FPS check out the Accelerated DF mod.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:36 pm »

Thank you. That's very helpful.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 137