As an aside, what exactly is broken about the economy? Not that any of my forts have lasted long enough for it to matter.
It is quite unballanced, when it kicks in then:
* Poor dwarves are kicked out of their rooms as they can't afford rent. Player pretty much needs to make "slums" with low quality beds and soil/rough stone walls.
* Poor dwarves also can't afford good food & booze, en ding up eating raw plants and drinking water.
* Poor dwaves also can't afford to buy trinkets to increase their happiness.
* If you mint coins, dwarves will waste huge amount of time moving it physically around, coin-by-coin.
* If dwarf lacks work, he will schedulle meeting with leader and complain, decreasing his happiness and wasting much time.
Legendary dwarves are exempt from this and can just comandier anything.
All in all, it is big annoyance and there is much need for proper Economy arc.