Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1977545 times)

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.08] [V1.9]
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:52 am »

You can even do a very easy mode by adding NO_EAT NO_DRINK NO_SLEEP tags to the dwarves lol
total noob mode =D

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 10:15:02 am »

speed 10 is too much of a cheat, might as well include the changes proposed by the previous poster if you leave it that way. other than that, economy should be off by default it's terribly broken, it was broken, it was broken in 40d, and is even worse in this version.

if you want a balanced easy mode, decrease the grouth time of crops, increase the coal yield for bituminous coal, increase the default embark points at world gens... also, if you include an easy mode, you could also possibly include a challenging mode, with the oposite changes: increased world gen savagery and evilness, stronger enemies, weaker steel, harder to plant plants, add slow learner to dwarves, etc.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 10:16:11 am »

You can even do a very easy mode by adding NO_EAT NO_DRINK NO_SLEEP tags to the dwarves lol
total noob mode =D
I do not think this would be useful. This pack is for lazy people (like me), newbies (I hope I am already past this point heh) and lazy newbies. Removing these tags make game too different.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2010, 11:30:24 am »

Yeah, even the speed stuff makes people to actually Unlearn df rather than Learn it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ProfessorFoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 12:27:37 pm »

First of all I really like this pack.  I'm not really a noob but I am very lazy.  So thank you.

Second of all for easy mode I think you should take out the speed and invasion changes.  Like Askot Bokbondeler said the economy is pretty much fucked and really should be disabled by default.  Aquifers are also something I always disable just because they are kind of annoying and not really very fun at all.  Turning off invasions and modifying the speed just sound unnecessary to me.

I don't know if you really want to do any modding to this version at all but I think you should consider the community combat balance overhaul (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53100.0) or Arrkhal's weapon and materials mod (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2062).  Both of them make things like hammers/spears more competitive with axes/swords.  Also personally I always mod bones to act as shells (by putting [SHELL] in the bones material file) because of how often shells are required for moods, how rare they are found on maps, and because you can't trade for them.

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2010, 01:13:16 pm »

total noob mode =D
I do not think this would be useful. This pack is for lazy people (like me), newbies (I hope I am already past this point heh) and lazy newbies. Removing these tags make game too different.

Yes of course it was just a suggestion :)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 02:10:00 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!
I've included details on the changes easy mode makes, so it should be simple for anyone to manually make the specific changes they want themselves, or simply delete files in the easy mode folder.

But for version 2.0 I'll take out the SPEED:10 thing anyways. I guess it is too much.
Maybe I don't need an EasyMode at all then. Just disable Economy always, and change the difficulty folder to a "Disable Aquifers" Folder. People can disable Invasions on their own. It was just an experiment.

I don't really want to stuff this thing full of mods. Also the community combat balance mod is for 31.01 and I'm not sure how much (if any) work needs to be done to make it compatible.

I may include DFHack in v2.0 now that a compatible version is out.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:17:03 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 03:59:09 pm »

total noob mode =D

Got to admit that I played with this concept - it solves myriad problems, but actually causes a huge morale problem. With no Eating, Drinking or Sleeping your Dorfs do not get the morale bonuses for eating nice food, drinking nice drink and sleeping in their bedroom. This means that a tantrum spiral is MUCH likelier.

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »

total noob mode =D

Got to admit that I played with this concept - it solves myriad problems, but actually causes a huge morale problem. With no Eating, Drinking or Sleeping your Dorfs do not get the morale bonuses for eating nice food, drinking nice drink and sleeping in their bedroom. This means that a tantrum spiral is MUCH likelier.
[NOEMOTION]
:D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »

Note that Arkkhal's mod has tons of bugs you have to fix. Some organs are unedible there, and many basic stones are economic and unusable in building. However material values are brilliant, that's why I used it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 04:18:36 pm »

I'm going to stick with keeping DF itself Vanilla as possible.
Of course with the exception of tileset and init changes, and additional keybinds/embarks
Anyways I'm not enough of a modder, nor have enough time, to implement and bugfix a bunch of additional mods.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 06:32:49 pm »

You have my request full permission to include the NoExotic tool in this pack.  :D

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2010, 05:48:40 am »

I would like to have a "fast mode" option. A utility that disable temperatures and such in order to improve performance. Useful for people with low end hardware...
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.08] [V2.0] Now With Stonesense!
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:46 pm »

VERSION 2.0 OUT!

Stonesense added
DFHack and NoExotic have been added (thanks madk!)
EasyMode has been dumped in favor for a few simpler settings.
Made Phoeb's "larger pillar" version the default tileset (other tileset versions still included)

I think things like a "Fast Mode" or "Super easy mode" are composed of very easy changes to make. I wouldn't want to make separate folders and added complexity for simple init changes. Learn how to make those changes yourself! XD
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:49:50 pm by LucasUP »

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.08] [V2.0] Now With Stonesense!
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:06 pm »

Small issue I think, the second embark profile isn't complete. The dwarves still have skills points left.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137