Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1977537 times)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.06] [V1.0]
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »

Whew. Its simple, but putting together something that looks and works nicely as a description takes time!
Here's a tentative release of an alternative laptop keybind:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2489
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can someone double check that these rebinds are not complete idiocy before I put this on the main page? Also suggestions on other things I should/could change. Thanks!
I'll probably just include these rebinds in the init folder and give instructions on how to switch them out in future versions.

EDIT:
OH! Could someone help me write a small batch file that sits in the root folder and runs all three .exe's? I don't really know my batch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stuff like this doesn't work^^
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:52:57 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 09:52:43 pm »

*CoughWhere'sMaydayCough*

Seconded.  I've been playing with the Mayday graphics that were packaged in with the illustrated 40d tutorial, and it would be really handy to have version of this pack with them in it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »

Looks awesome.

Might need to use this to introduce my dad to DF.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:13 pm »

*CoughWhere'sMaydayCough*

Seconded.  I've been playing with the Mayday graphics that were packaged in with the illustrated 40d tutorial, and it would be really handy to have version of this pack with them in it.
I outline in the topic details/ramblings that using maydays pack instead is very simple. I guess I can make it simple without having to create another pack by giving a specific link that will work with the current version. A separate pack would be a lot of work for a relatively simple switch of folders.

EDIT: And done! Tell me if the Mayday instructions makes sense or if I should be more detailed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:12:23 pm by LucasUP »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:11:33 pm »

I disagree with adding complexity like another graphics pack, phoebus works just nice.

I would just recommend to suggest Mike to add Stonesense and Therapist to his own pack. I don't think that it's a good idea to make a different pack when there's already one supported by its own dev. Just give him this suggestion.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 04:54:16 am »

Very nice thing! This pack actually got me to use stonesense and dwarf rapist. :)

Oh, and by the way if this is pack for newbies, then should NOT be any changes in raws or keys or whatever. Vanilia DF with graphic pack (phoebus was nice change from mayday). This have additional advantage to be just fine for community forts.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 05:10:28 am »

I endorse this service.  An accessible package is one thing that is holding DF back from getting more interest, this should help with that.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 02:16:43 pm »

I disagree with adding complexity like another graphics pack, phoebus works just nice.

I would disagree here most ... flamigly, i find phoebus quite horrid and have few complaits about it:

* "bubbles/foam" water/sand tile. It is just ... ugly. I have yet to see tileset and/or map where it look good. Why do people automatically add it to every single 16x16 tileset? I mean, simple "ascii" wave is much more descriptive and better looking.
 * sci-fi font kills atmosphere and numbers do not fit with text, it makes it look ugly as well as amateurish. It is pretty evident that is was copypasted together as art styles clash.
 * I have thing against how corners are done, it can be very confusing and hard to read map as it always seem that corner is one square off to me. Ordinary 90 degrees angle corners for me!
 * Diacritics are turned off, I prefer dïäčřťïćś even if it costs some features. Shame, becaiuse this is best feature of this tileset
 * I find 16x16 tiles too large even at hd display.

It is not too hard to be picky and anal about tileset!

All in all, for me this is convenice download of therapist+stonesense and i am going to downolad vanilla with untouched raws and use 8x8 Anikki tileset.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 08:12:15 pm »

Another "thanks!" here from a happy downloader.  :)
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 08:18:01 pm »

I'm gonna use this to start DF2010. Also, there's a zoom function?! Thanks for the laptop interface, gonna try it.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 09:41:01 pm »

For those really wanting maydays pack instead, try the instructions I put up on the original post. I haven't tested it myself but it should all work together.

Looks awesome.

Might need to use this to introduce my dad to DF.
Ahaha, I wanted to say that's great. Tell me how that goes! I'm interested :D.

I'm gonna use this to start DF2010. Also, there's a zoom function?! Thanks for the laptop interface, gonna try it.
Nice. Yeah the zoom function is from the merge. It doesn't look pretty, but it works if you want to see a general overview of things. Please tell me how the alt keybinds go. I just realised that "." is also used for advancing one frame, so if you use that function you might be annoyed, you'll have to fix it yourself. For next time I'll rebind the advance one frame to / or something.

Yeah, it should help some people to come out of closet.
And move them back in when the dwarven economy kicks in.
Good point! I'm thinking of disabling the ECONOMY for next pack, with a clear note that I've done this because it's currently incomplete.
I usually do this for myself. Any objections?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:49:14 pm by LucasUP »

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »

As an aside, what exactly is broken about the economy? Not that any of my forts have lasted long enough for it to matter.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 12:06:54 am »

As an aside, what exactly is broken about the economy? Not that any of my forts have lasted long enough for it to matter.
To be honest I haven't personally played much with the economy either, so maybe I'm being unfair? =
The structure of the game changes quite a bit though, may be confusing to new players.
I'm not sure the state of the current version, but in previous versions there was a lot of problems with dwarves micro-managing hundreds of individual coins, dwarves not able to afford rent because of constant improvement of furniture quality and other fun stuff.
Read this and the previous version of it: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Economy if you want to know a bit more.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 12:14:39 am »

I think I'll leave it on anyway just out of curiosity, that and as I've said my forts never last that long anyways.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 12:40:23 am »

So far I'm liking it (and the new bindings, btw) though I'm used to Maydays graphics. Now, was the amulet female and the bag male? Or the other way around...
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137