Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1982589 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.1] Updates
« Reply #885 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21:51 am »

Devek, I admire your patience.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.0] Its HERE!
« Reply #886 on: April 10, 2011, 12:52:46 pm »

Thanks for this program!  It was useful as hell when I was trying to get started with DF a few months ago, and the launcher GUI makes it that much better.  Random idea for a future version: Collections of raw files, for mods and such.  The LNP launcher would look at a folder for packages of raw files (like you've already done with utilities), then copy which ever the user selected over the top of DF's raw folder.  I assume that a lot of the people who play mods are already doing something similar by hand; some LNP-assistance would be awesome!
*winks*
it's coming...
Multiplatform stuff

I've got some experience with .NET, but only on Windows.  My understanding of Mono was that, if you limited yourself to 2.0 and only used library classes/functions that Mono actually supported, you could make a simple GUI app that would run anywhere-ish.  Is that still just a dream? :(

Edit: http://www.mono-project.com/Gui_Toolkits says that you can use Windows.Forms 2.0 as long as you stay away from the P/Invokes.  I'm not seeing anything in the launcher that 2.0 can't do from the outside, but I haven't seen the LNP code so I dunno.  Is the source code available somewhere?
eh it's the quickest we could make, also the easiest to keep updated.
when i get better at C+ I could make a better one. but sadly I only know command-line now...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 10, 2011, 02:07:23 pm »

Yikes. Programming wars!

Anyways, you know QT sounds like a pretty nice idea. Dwarf Therapist and Runesmith use it and look really cool because of it.
I'll be talking back and forth between a few people, including Naerymdan on him helping to make it Java/Qt/Whatever.

Also thinking the whole thing should be made open source, especially if java/qt-fied.

EDIT: Also Devek, just realized Dwarf Foreman is .25 compatible. Yay! Hmmm new pack?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:17:08 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 10, 2011, 02:13:50 pm »

hmm...
we could have LNP-VB, LNP-Java, LNP-C, etc...

source code... we could have it in an open dropbox account mayby?  :o
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 10, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »

EDIT: Also Devek, just realized Dwarf Foreman is .25 compatible. Yay! Hmmm new pack?

I'd probably wait until 0.7.0(next day or two) of foreman to put it in LNP, unless you were about to make a new pack anyway which 0.6.9 is good to go.

EDIT: On, and as far as LNP Mac or LNP Linux I would suggest that you get a developer on your team that is native to each platform to ensure the best experience. I'm not sure who in our community has a mac, but there are a few people who use Linux.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:36:59 pm by devek »
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #890 on: April 10, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

You should add a couple more keybindings to the set:  make delete burrows and delete note alt-d instead of just d.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 10, 2011, 03:05:42 pm »

You should add a couple more keybindings to the set:  make delete burrows and delete note alt-d instead of just d.

Yes!  I can't tell you how many times I've deleted all the notes in my fort by playing a QF dig blueprint from notes mode.

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.0] Its HERE!
« Reply #892 on: April 10, 2011, 03:14:08 pm »

Thanks for this program!  It was useful as hell when I was trying to get started with DF a few months ago, and the launcher GUI makes it that much better.  Random idea for a future version: Collections of raw files, for mods and such.  The LNP launcher would look at a folder for packages of raw files (like you've already done with utilities), then copy which ever the user selected over the top of DF's raw folder.  I assume that a lot of the people who play mods are already doing something similar by hand; some LNP-assistance would be awesome!
*winks*
it's coming...
Multiplatform stuff

I've got some experience with .NET, but only on Windows.  My understanding of Mono was that, if you limited yourself to 2.0 and only used library classes/functions that Mono actually supported, you could make a simple GUI app that would run anywhere-ish.  Is that still just a dream? :(

Edit: http://www.mono-project.com/Gui_Toolkits says that you can use Windows.Forms 2.0 as long as you stay away from the P/Invokes.  I'm not seeing anything in the launcher that 2.0 can't do from the outside, but I haven't seen the LNP code so I dunno.  Is the source code available somewhere?
eh it's the quickest we could make, also the easiest to keep updated.
when i get better at C+ I could make a better one. but sadly I only know command-line now...

If you're using Winforms, you're probably most of the way to 2.0 compatibility.  Have you considered getting the code hosted somewhere like Google Code or Source Forge?  Even if you aren't directly taking contributions from the community, the extra eyeballs probably couldn't hurt.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 10, 2011, 09:43:39 pm »

Okay, things aren't set in stone, but:

1) The guy who was making a Mac mono-compliant .net version has been back in contact and is willing on finishing it. He thinks it should be fairly simple.

2) It could be a temporary solution until a java/qt/whatever version is developed. I will wait for Naerymdan to get back to me on his offer to help with this.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

apachebreakdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 11, 2011, 02:38:45 pm »

YES! Just came in to find somewhere peaceful and utopian(ish) after just getting my ass handed to me by a bunch of Orc wrestlers on Dig Deeper. I need an itty-bitty sandbox to get my sh*t correct before I return. Lazynewb World sounds like my own little piece of dwarfy suburban peace, where I can learn how to make proper forts and build a proper military.

Thanks LucasUP
 :D

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »

btw, I'm working on some more custom worlds, of varying purpose (from "Hell on *planetname*" to "Adventure Paradise" to "Volcanos Everywhere")
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43:02 pm »

Don't forget patchwork, there is a pretty good patchwork world on the wiki :D
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

apachebreakdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 11, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »

Just genning first world and no option to specify magma pool/pipe, underground pool, chasm, etc when finding embark site. Last version I used was 0.28.181.40d15/16 - am I missing something here?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 11, 2011, 03:32:22 pm »

yeah, a lot has changed  ;D
(current version is 0.31.25 ;) were you playing by tutorials by any chance?
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

apachebreakdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 11, 2011, 03:38:46 pm »

Yup  ;)

Is magma purely luck of the draw now?

Never mind doctors and burrows...... :'(
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 137