Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1977600 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V15] Updated GUI!
« Reply #1950 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:15 am »

Awesome work Thundercraft. I also think separate downloads would benefit both kind of users. As some one playing dwarf fortress a lot in a machine with windows, it would be awesome if they deliver this with the splinterz branch. I don't pay much attention to the forum and hence I tend to get lost. Also, maybe a moderator could change/update the first post if the original poster doesn't show up anymore (I hope he's okay by the way).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V15] Updated GUI!
« Reply #1951 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:14 am »

Hey guys! LNP has been off my mind for quite some time, especially since game updates are the main thing which motivates upgrades.
If you need to contact me, seriously just PMing or Emailing me will instantly get my attention!
Thanks for those links Thundercraft. I hardly have time to even write this post this week, but I'll look into updating the pack and the OP soon.
Also, why is the fact that the utilities are cross-platform a problem? I don't think I understand.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V15]
« Reply #1952 on: February 19, 2013, 08:31:21 pm »

It's not that it is a problem. But to keep LNP cross-platform, separate versions -might- be necessary to...

[ Edit: Nevermind... I was under the impression that LNP also worked on Linux and OSX. Hasn't there been requests over the years for a Linux version? I vaguely recall posts about this some two years ago. It seems ironic, because I believe all the utilities in LNP, in both 'regular' and 'advanced', are cross-platform - with the possible exception of the DFInit Utility. And for all I know, even that might run under Wine. I carefully examined the description for DFInit on DFFD and read the forum thread, but I can't find any mention of Linux. ]

Also, a question:

Why are there two identical copies of the "Large Address Aware.exe" program in LNP? One copy is in the Dwarf Fortress folder, which the readme talks about. But there is another copy in the LNP / Extras folder...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:47:54 am by Thundercraft »

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:19 pm »

Just wanted to say thank you for this amazing pack I've been using for years now.

Its also awesome to see it will be updated in the near future!
Thanks!

Yannanth

« Reply #1954 on: February 25, 2013, 12:13:36 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:49:01 pm by Yannanth »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:45 pm »

I'm surprised, but it seems there is not a Linux LNP. Though, it has been asked before. And Lucas did say there are plans to make the LNP GUI open-source.

Most of the contents of LNP (see the LNP OP) are, technically, cross-platform. Though some, like DFHack, have separate versions for Linux and OSX.

Anyway, if you find graphic icons preferable to ASCII, perhaps you'd find one of the following Linux builds useful?

* Phoebus' Graphic Set (Pre-Installed LINUX)
* Accelerated DF Phoebus Linux (see thread for differences from the official DF)
* Accelerated DF Ironhand Linux (see thread for differences from the official DF)

There are a few differences between graphic sets like Phoebus, Ironhand, and Mayday's, but it's mostly a matter of taste. However, to use Ironhand you should have a screen resolution of at least 1440 pixels horizontal. Phoebus and Mayday sets only need 1280 pixels horizontal to display clearly.

Also, you might be interested in Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher. It is a Java app, so it works on all systems. Manilla sports some (not all) of the features of the LNP GUI. But it boasts some features that the LNP GUI lacks. Among others, it allows you to swap between tilesets with the click of the mouse. And you can install or remove certain mods this way, too.

The author mistakenly left the Linux ASCII version of Dwarf Fortress in the "df" folder (in a .tar), which is why it's a big download.

But you don't have to stick with ASCII to use Manilla. After installing Manilla, you could delete the Linux ASCII .tar and install one of the graphical versions (mentioned above) inside the "df" folder. Just don't use the "Check for updates" button if you do this as it might break your install. (The readme has full instructions.)

Some of the video tutorials I mentioned earlier should help you walk through the difficulties of the game:

Note that captnduck's tutorials assume viewers use the Lazy New Pack if they want to play along (i.e., same embark settings). So Ahhugotme's DF tutorials might be more to your liking. I watched Ahhugotme's part 1 to review his style and he really baby-steps viewers through every detail.

Even so, captnduck's can still be informative to watch. I learned DF by watching his vids, as have many others.

>-EDIT-<  I just stumbled across this:

Linux DF Installer
A Mojosetup based installer for the Linux version of dwarf fortress which includes the option to download and install the following:

Utilities:
Dwarf Therapist
Stone Sense with DFHack

Graphic packs:
[Mayday] or [Phoebus] or [Ironhand] graphics.

If you combine that with Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher (by installing the above inside Manilla's "df" folder), I think you'd get something approximating LNP. However, you might consider also installing the SoundSense sound and music engine as it really adds to the DF experience. SoundSense is another Java app and it can be installed anywhere.

Also, there's Dwarf Therapist Linux libQT, for those who just want the Linux version by itself.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:34:18 am by Thundercraft »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 26, 2013, 03:05:13 am »

I'm surprised, but it seems there is not a Linux LNP.
Right. I was confused because LNP has no support for OS-X or Linux at all at the moment. There were SEVERAL people who have contacted me, grabbed the source code, and started work on OS-X or cross-platform versions of LNP, all have lost contact with me and were obviously quite pre-occupied, as was I, and I didn't make much effort to keep them on task. I also really have not had the time to properly look into re-writing everything myself in a cross-platform framework, never-mind maintaining it all.
I'll heavily consider releasing the source code ASAP, but I also will try to keep this version updated myself.

Also, note there is a LNP Mac Alternative called MacNewbie and also Dwarf Builder

I'm ALSO going to reply to a post you made on the DFINIT thread:
This [DF-Init] hasn't been updated in years. And yet, it continues to be a part of the Lazy Newb Pack.
Honestly you're the first person to ever bring this up.
1) Yes, DFInit was done in Visual Basic 6.
2) I actually acquired the source code for it, and it was a big help in making the LNP GUI in the first place. Honestly the issue of replicating all the options of DFInit inside LNP was a issue of time to implement and update it, not because I didn't have the know-how. I also wanted to keep my GUI very simple and uncluttered. Its more out of a slight convenience for a couple extra options that DFInit is still there. If there's really good reason I could always incorporate more options straight into LNP.
3) Just like LNPs GUI, it wouldn' work in Linux/OS-X natively, I've never tested Wine though.

Yannanth

« Reply #1957 on: February 26, 2013, 05:18:15 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:49:21 pm by Yannanth »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V15] Now Open Source!
« Reply #1958 on: February 26, 2013, 06:10:57 pm »

Now Open Source!
Download and Discuss it at the Lazy Newb Pack Development Thread
*Requires Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express or higher. Open "LazyNewbPackGUI.vbproj"
*The folder bin\debug is used when you export/test the program, it includes Dwarf Fortress and the LNP folder structure.
*Does not include any LNP utilities or graphics packs, but you may add them yourself.
*Email or message me if you want your changes included in the main version, or else go off and create your own LNP-based programs!

Edit: I also wanted to say, sorry to any experienced programmers who look through the code and face-desk. I was essentially teaching myself VB as I was programming it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:22:50 am by LucasUP »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 26, 2013, 07:37:00 pm »

Now Open Source!

Hey, that's awesome! :)

I also wanted to say, sorry to any experienced programmers who look through the code and face-desk. I was essentially teaching myself VB as I was programming it.

I can't consider myself professional or experienced, either. I'm just glad it's released and open-source now.

Doing a quick search, I see there are several viable options to get this to work on Linux and OSX. Among others, it sounds straightforward to use either the mono project or porting the code to either REALbasic or kbasic. (Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Linux and I don't have the disk space to experiment right now.)

Anyway, now that it is released, perhaps you should consider starting a separate topic to discuss the development of the LNP GUI, to keep this thread focused more on the pack itself and users? (Perhaps start it in the DF Modding area?) Just an idea. I don't want to derail this any further.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:42 pm »

,it sounds straightforward to use either the mono project
I had one person already create a prototype Mono version of LNP, but I lost contact. I'll see if I can't get back in contact, maybe even get the sourcecode to continue the development on it.

Anyway, now that it is released, perhaps you should consider starting a separate topic to discuss the development of the LNP GUI, to keep this thread focused more on the pack itself and users? (Perhaps start it in the DF Modding area?) Just an idea. I don't want to derail this any further.
Very good idea, I'll do that soon.

Yannanth

« Reply #1961 on: February 27, 2013, 12:07:56 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:48:06 pm by Yannanth »

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:38 am »

I've made a few modifications.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7426

Expanded utilities interface, can now add utilities from other directories and select utilities to run on launch.

Modified a few tool-tips to be more informative;
Population Cap, Child Cap, Weather, Temperature, G-FPS

Anyone have any suggestions as to what else to add?

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:33 am »

I've made a few modifications.
Like I said in my PMs to you, very cool and crazy fast! It'd be neat to get it to save the custom utilities and run-on-launch settings across loads.
It would probably be good to keep this kind of stuff inside the Development Thread though
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:10:16 am by LucasUP »

Mastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:16 pm »

Hey,

I think Ive found a bug or a glitch in LNP. I'm not entirely sure it's LNP's fault, but in case you are interested: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123412.0
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 137