Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366067 times)

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #945 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:17 pm »

Better yet, now there's a new version out of DFhack with the needed offsets to update runesmith, I hope. Cheers to all the hardworking utility modders, and keep up the good work!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #946 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »

Now we just need some kind soul to update Dwarf Foreman, or make something similar.

Please?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62364

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 21, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »

Better yet, now there's a new version out of DFhack with the needed offsets to update runesmith, I hope.
I tried it and it crashed Runesmith.  Someone else might have better luck, or an idea of what they're doing XD
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #948 on: February 21, 2011, 07:48:06 pm »

Hmm.
Happily, sizeak (I think that's the DFHack guy...) made DFoffsets.exe... Which, to the best of my knowledge of such things, either prints outthe contents of memory.xml or finds working offsets, I am more sure of the former... :\
MAKE IT AUTOUPDATE!
The utility prints all the offsets effective for the running DF instance.

And *NO*, I won't make it autoupdate.
I'm working on utils that make finding offsets easier, but no automated tool will be good enough to work unsupervised by someone who knows WTF is going on. I'd really not want people screwing up their forts because the autoupdate failed silently. Finding offsets automatically is fine, but the updating part really needs to be done by someone with brain... processors just don't cut it ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:50:52 pm by peterix »

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:28 am »

I will look at updating after I finish work tonight.

Edit: So I pulled all the changes from the DFHack repo, built it, built RS against it and tried the new offsets and I got SHM access denied which means that the required creature offsets are either wrong or incomplete.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:50:26 pm by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:39 pm »

Fine by me, but, a program to update them would be nice, I have a way in mind, but it would be probly nigh-impossible to code, or eat RAM and CPU power so much your comp freezes, either way, my idea is just an idea, and will probly never happen :P

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 23, 2011, 11:03:03 pm »

Fine by me, but, a program to update them would be nice, I have a way in mind, but it would be probly nigh-impossible to code, or eat RAM and CPU power so much your comp freezes, either way, my idea is just an idea, and will probly never happen :P
auto updating code already exist in Dfusion although not that much, the entire code is pretty much can be edited and add on to using Notepad...
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #952 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:18 am »

auto updating code already exist in Dfusion although not that much, the entire code is pretty much can be edited and add on to using Notepad...
I've seen a lot of hardcoded values, especially when it comes to offsets from the start of structures ~_~  Again, not something users should be subjected to. You can't rely on automation in this. I haven't dug deep into Dfusion though...

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 24, 2011, 06:55:24 am »

eh this thing degraded my miner form proficient to dabbling. ???
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:22 am »

I've seen a lot of hardcoded values, especially when it comes to offsets from the start of structures ~_~  Again, not something users should be subjected to. You can't rely on automation in this. I haven't dug deep into Dfusion though...
I completely agree on can not relying only on Automation of offsets. There should be some kind of maintenance
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 24, 2011, 07:29:04 am »

I will look at updating after I finish work tonight.

Edit: So I pulled all the changes from the DFHack repo, built it, built RS against it and tried the new offsets and I got SHM access denied which means that the required creature offsets are either wrong or incomplete.

Aw...

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 24, 2011, 11:16:17 am »

Drat nabbit!

*Throttles the offsets into a whimpering submission*

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 25, 2011, 08:51:15 am »

Yeah it's annoying but totally understandable as petrix has a life just like the rest off us. He walked me through the rough process of finding some offsets the other night and now it's the weekend I may have some time to try and find the ones we need. The main ones we need are the creature vector and all the offsets within the creature object, such as age, skills, etc.

The finding of offsets is a recurring problem, especially since toady releases very very often. If you (anyone) really want to help then really it'd be good if we could start a thread or something to request that toady implements either a modding API of some kind, or at least a way of dumping the offsets to a file from DF since I think it would be fairly easy to do from inside the game. I know it's been tried before but if we could get enough people to ask nicely maybe he would consider it? We could do something like pledge to donate X amount if he implements it?

Also: Runesmith isn't dead at all, it's just missing offsets for the newer versions. I just play .16 instead personally since it works fine with it :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:52:56 am by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:28 am »

To me the issue is frequency of updates:

40d went too long without updates; 31.xx has perhaps too many of them. This is reflected in the amounts we donate to Toady; we donate more with more updates for some reason. The weird part is that it contributes to fort restarts. Go figure.

If there were some way to keep up the financial support to Toady, I'd advocate fewer updates with more content in each. Not sure how to make that work though. I'm broke but typically give him about $20 a year, and I don't really want anything for it beyond what we get now.

That said, is there some way we can work in a process where Toady tells us the offsets? I confess my ignorance, but does he not make the offsets and thus know what they are? Perhaps if Toady only told Petrix, Rainseeker, Sizeak, Deon, Japa, and others in a select group, it might work? Just a thought intended to be a constructive idea.... The idea being to reduce the amount of work it would take to mod the game due to updates.... :)

In any event, thank you to the various people who make these programs possible. Wonderful job.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:41:24 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:35 pm »

Toady doesn't *know* or *make* the offsets per se. Offsets are actually really just numbers that specify how far from the beginning of a program an address is, so to find something's location in memory you take the offset for what you want to look at and then add that to the base address of the programs stack frame (little box? of memory). So while he couldn't just tell us, what he could do is dump the pointers to things like the creature vector which would mean we wouldn't have to sit and sift through DF's memory.

So as an example, say we knew where toady lived and we wanted to get from there to the nearest shop. Consider toady's to be the beginning of the program and the location of the shop to be an offset, it would be much faster if he told us where the shop was in relation to his house than if we had to search every street manually.

I hope I simplified it enough :)
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 106