Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Religion and Spirituality: Gloves Off  (Read 4447 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality: My side is not the rules.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »

I recommend not starting threads for flamey topics like these were the last thread was locked for each party to cool off. Especially after 12 minutes of the first thread locking. And the fact there are rules that are not set in stone doesn't help. Hostility is never good, and especially when your blatantly making fun of the original Op of the other thread.
You may want to reconsider how successful a thread is likely to be when you make the title a snark about someone else's thread on the same topic, and when the first post is openly defamatory (with hidden defamation as a bonus extra) and completely lacking in rules or structure.

Still, I agree with the OP. Threads on this board seem to get locked for little or no discernible reason. People make much ado about nothing.
Religion is a pretty religion topic that can spiral out of control quickly.

Nonetheless, many threads have been shut down that weren't even near that point.

Instead of jumping the gun, we all need to practice the Taoist art of Wu Wei; The sacred discipline of not doing anything about it.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality: Gloves Off
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 05:22:50 pm »

Bohandes, do you have an opinion on this topic?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »

The only true god is Azathoth.

Precepts of Azathoth:

1.  The universe is contingent on Azathoth's dream-state and Azathoth is contingent on the universe and thus contingent on his own dream-state.  Azathoth is dreaming the universe and thus he is the universe and thus he is dreaming himself.

2.  Azathoth is mindless and non-rational and passively pursues his impetus in the same way that a ball "desires" to roll down a hill.

3.  Also like a ball rolling down a hill, Azathoth's impetus is to follow the path of least resistance to the point of lowest order and energy.  That is, Azathoth's impetus is to cease to exist.  Since Azathoth and the universe are contingent on each other, this means the universe will also cease to exist.

4.  Azathoth is prevented from realizing this impetus by the outer gods who want to exist.  They maintain his dreamstate knowing that if he woke up all realities and unrealities would immediately terminate.

5.  Instead, Azathoth attains a vicarious annihilation by imbuing his impetus on all living things.  Azathoth is the urge to violence and the desire to consume past our limits.  Azathoth is the desire to kill and also to reproduce for more birth means more death.  All activity of all living things in all universes is driven by Azathoth's will to die.  Everyone worships Azathoth by existing.

Hail Azathoth
Shoes...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 05:42:21 pm »

this is cute, really, but you don't have to take it upon yourself to mix up the circlejerk minutia that was the religion thread. Even so, acting like a total wad isn't really the way to go about mixing things up.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 05:42:44 pm »

The only true god is Azathoth.

Precepts of Azathoth:

1.  The universe is contingent on Azathoth's dream-state and Azathoth is contingent on the universe and thus contingent on his own dream-state.  Azathoth is dreaming the universe and thus he is the universe and thus he is dreaming himself.

2.  Azathoth is mindless and non-rational and passively pursues his impetus in the same way that a ball "desires" to roll down a hill.

3.  Also like a ball rolling down a hill, Azathoth's impetus is to follow the path of least resistance to the point of lowest order and energy.  That is, Azathoth's impetus is to cease to exist.  Since Azathoth and the universe are contingent on each other, this means the universe will also cease to exist.

4.  Azathoth is prevented from realizing this impetus by the outer gods who want to exist.  They maintain his dreamstate knowing that if he woke up all realities and unrealities would immediately terminate.

5.  Instead, Azathoth attains a vicarious annihilation by imbuing his impetus on all living things.  Azathoth is the urge to violence and the desire to consume past our limits.  Azathoth is the desire to kill and also to reproduce for more birth means more death.  All activity of all living things in all universes is driven by Azathoth's will to die.  Everyone worships Azathoth by existing.

Hail Azathoth

Derilithic Hersey! No mortal can understand that hideous nuclear chaos! Lets the hideous pipping wash over you!

this is cute, really, but you don't have to take it upon yourself to mix up the circlejerk minutia that was the religion thread. Even so, acting like a total wad isn't really the way to go about mixing things up.

I de-waded most of my comments when I cooled off. Still, a thread where ethical evaluations of ethical systems does not exists, so I made one. Do you have anything on topic to contribute? I'd love to hear it or any replies and disagreements to my on topic post on page 1.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:45:41 pm by k33n »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 06:06:52 pm »

The only reason the other threads survived at all is because they were controlled in some way, and even then, they didn't survive for all that long.  I provisionally allowed religious topics to continue because they had rules and people tried to follow them.  I don't know if the other remaining topic will survive, but this one isn't starting from a workable place.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2]