Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1896 1897 [1898] 1899 1900 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3442083 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28455 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:32 pm »

My mouse is logitech but i think it's pretty damn old. I swear we must have thousands of them just laying around because every time one breaks my dad goes into his room and a few minutes later comes out with a new mouse. Maybe we breed them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28456 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »

Is that a wire shoved up a dead mouse's arse?

I'm pretty sure it's a novelty item.  Fake.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28457 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »

Is that a wire shoved up a dead mouse's arse?

I'm pretty sure it's a novelty item.  Fake.
Still quite funny.
And disturbing.
Eh, I am a member of the Bay12 community, there have been worse things.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28458 on: October 16, 2013, 10:50:24 pm »

I have no idea how the colleges in the USA manage to be so annoying and get away with it. I'm enrolled in a pretty prestigious German university, and I pay 120€ for an entire semester, not a cent more (food or bedding obviously not included). You don't need to buy any textbooks, you don't need to pay fees for courses, heck, you don't even need to attend any classes. The only thing you need to get a degree is pass enough exams. After what I've heard from American colleges, I'd probably ragequit after at most a month.

American colleges are for-profit enterprises. Your schooling in Germany is subsidized by the (relatively speaking) insane taxes people pay over there. Of course American universities are full of bullshit. Anything run for-profit by definition is about getting the most out of customers while costing the least to yourself.

Hence, stupid American university pre-reqs.

Put another way. You may not pay much for school in Germany. But you pay the equivalent of $2,000 to get a drivers license there. Here? It costs you ~$50 to become a legal driver. But you pay $30,000+ for an education.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28459 on: October 16, 2013, 11:02:31 pm »

"Insane taxes"? They seem about the same. Germany goes higher a little quicker and American highest-tax bracket is 5~ percent less than the German one, but it's not that much.

Edit: ... I might be reading this wrong, but Canada has a lower tax rate than America. Wat.

Oh, wait, no, this is just Federal Canada. Carry on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:04:38 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28460 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:29 pm »

And mind you, what nenjin is talking about is the public universities and colleges. The going rate for my state's largest non-religious private college, Duke University, is $45,000. A year. For tuition alone. You think I'm exaggerating? Think again.

Their fucking room and board is greater than my yearly tuition.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28461 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:41 pm »

The concept of private universities horrifies me.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28462 on: October 16, 2013, 11:11:46 pm »

They do conduct good research though, I'll give them that. Because of Duke University, Raleigh, North Carolina is statistically the safest place on Earth to have heart failure.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28463 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »

But free market, descan! Only it can ensure a working educational sys-*chokesputter* Hahahahahaha yeah, sorry, sorry. Nah, if we didn't have private schools where would our landed nobility send their spawn?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28464 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »

I was actually in SAT range of one of the Ivy League schools, Dartmouth. Didn't even consider it. I probably wouldn't have gotten in, and paying would have been difficult, but even if I did it wouldn't be worth it. The Ivy League is shit academically. I've heard tales that Harvard in particular doesn't give out grades lower than C's. You get in, you graduate, simple as that.
No Gods, No Masters.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28465 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:26 pm »

I know a few people who have taken out bank loans to pay off their student loans simply because the bank offers a lower interest rate, potentially saving them thousands.

I think that belongs in the sad thread.

I'm paying my own way, personally. Gonna be hard though, my books alone are more than what I earn in a month.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28466 on: October 16, 2013, 11:18:35 pm »

Forget that, the real benefit is that you can at least declare bankruptcy with bank loans. You can never default a student loan in the US, ever, by law. Never take student loans. They're a deathtrap.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28467 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:45 pm »

I was actually in SAT range of one of the Ivy League schools, Dartmouth. Didn't even consider it. I probably wouldn't have gotten in, and paying would have been difficult, but even if I did it wouldn't be worth it. The Ivy League is shit academically. I've heard tales that Harvard in particular doesn't give out grades lower than C's. You get in, you graduate, simple as that.
Could you -imagine- the shit-storm they'd get in if Moms Little Boy didn't graduate after they shelled out 200k for them?

It's pure self-preservation.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28468 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:18 pm »

Goddammit body stop getting sick. I had a record of 3 years going.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #28469 on: October 16, 2013, 11:27:59 pm »

My dad's a boarding school teacher, I went to prep school at heavily reduced cost, and I'm thinking about following in his footsteps...I dunno, I'm sympathetic to them, if only because they're basically all I know.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 1896 1897 [1898] 1899 1900 ... 3345