Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1897 1898 [1899] 1900 1901 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3436606 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28470 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:14 pm »

Forget that, the real benefit is that you can at least declare bankruptcy with bank loans. You can never default a student loan in the US, ever, by law. Never take student loans. They're a deathtrap.

No doubt. Between the rules and the high interest, they aren't viable. But damn, are they good at luring students who don't know any better.

Some of the questions you have to fill out to apply for one can be pretty invasive, too.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28471 on: October 17, 2013, 12:35:26 am »

Goddamn, but yes. I'm lucky that I only took out the Federal ones, but doing so was still a huge mistake. I may not have to deal with some of the horror stories from private lenders, but I'm still up to my eyeballs in debt.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28472 on: October 17, 2013, 08:03:21 am »

Friggin' Excel 2010, it keeps autocorrecting "dmg" to "읗". Which means nothing at all and makes no sense -_-

And I can't even disable only that autocorrect. It's either I disable all autocorrection, or I have to deal with it somehow.

rage

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28473 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:47 am »

Yes you can. Just add "dmg" to your "microsoft dictionary" and it will stop doing that.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28474 on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:53 am »

It didn't work. I think the english-to-korean thing is some sort of localization plug-in. :/

(or I edited the wrong dictionary)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:35:37 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28475 on: October 17, 2013, 08:50:56 am »

I was actually in SAT range of one of the Ivy League schools, Dartmouth. Didn't even consider it. I probably wouldn't have gotten in, and paying would have been difficult, but even if I did it wouldn't be worth it. The Ivy League is shit academically. I've heard tales that Harvard in particular doesn't give out grades lower than C's. You get in, you graduate, simple as that.
Similar note here. I was contacted by Yale, but they didn't offer near enough scholarship money for me to attend, and certainly not enough to offset spending four years around a bunch of budding neocon politicians. The Ivy League means nothing apart from prestige, and I've also been told of grade inflation among its universities. Hell, that's a problem pretty much everywhere in the U.S., for all that our university system is touted as being (one of) the best in the world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28476 on: October 17, 2013, 09:09:05 am »

Forget that, the real benefit is that you can at least declare bankruptcy with bank loans. You can never default a student loan in the US, ever, by law. Never take student loans. They're a deathtrap.
Thing about England (not sure about the rest of the UK)- if you don't earn enough money (not sure what the amount was) for... 20 years? You don't have to pay and the government pays it off for you.

Basically, can't afford it? No need to pay!

Then there's the fact that in the UK, IIRC, you don't start paying it off until you reach a certain income bracket.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28477 on: October 17, 2013, 09:25:53 am »

People and their 45 minute shitting ritual.

You know, they need 45 minutes on the toilet, in total silence, with lit candles, Enya playing and the fucking planets in celestial alignment.

If you need that much time to take a dump, fucking do it at home before you come to work. Everyone needs to use the bathroom, and if you need privacy to go, don't sit in a fucking stall for 30 minutes until people clear out.

Christ, we even have single stall bathrooms here, which would seem to be the ideal place for your fucking 30 minute, private, grand bowel movement.

How does that idiom go? "Shit or get off the pot."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28478 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:23 am »

If had a job, I would do nothing but shit.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28479 on: October 17, 2013, 10:25:35 am »

Desktop dun broke, again. Just today decided it didn't want to get past power on self test, giving no auditory signal of what might be malfunctioning. Took everything non essential out, still wouldn't boot. Took out and reinserted graphic card wich seemed to have had done the trick. That is until it crashed and refused to boot all over again. Trying a different hard disk and haven't had any trouble thus far.
Now making a clean install without actually knowing if the problem has been solved at all. I had hoped to actually enjoy this afternoon, stupid computer.  >:(

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28480 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:52 am »

So I got a new truck the other day. In some ways it is an upgrade on my previous one, which is nice. Overall though?
MASSIVE. DOWNGRADE.

Lemme give you a rather pertinent example from last night. My old truck had essentially a separate generator that could be run independently from the main engine. This generator could provide power, heat, and AC to the sleeper berth, and could be run at any temperature.

This newer truck has no such generator. Its engine can idle all night long, providing much the same functions...but ONLY when the ambient temperature is outside a certain range. Which is why last night I was shivering in below-freezing temps that were still inside the range the engine was not allowed to idle, and thus provide heat.

So yeah. This truck sucks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28481 on: October 17, 2013, 11:03:56 am »

How are the hookers supposed to survive in such low temperatures?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28482 on: October 17, 2013, 11:09:53 am »

Probably go to some other truck that has heat.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28483 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:14 am »

"Boss, how am I supposed to get ANY truck stop ass with a ride like this?"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:33:39 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28484 on: October 17, 2013, 11:25:07 am »

How are the hookers supposed to survive in such low temperatures?
The obvious solution is even more hookers. Eventually, their combined body heat will fill the truck and keep everyone warm.
Pages: 1 ... 1897 1898 [1899] 1900 1901 ... 3345