Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1928 1929 [1930] 1931 1932 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428762 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #28935 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:57 pm »

Data-mining and "lel u has to uuse social netwrks for utuub!!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28936 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:33 pm »

Ingenious is the word you were looking for, Naxzy.

And can someone explain how Google has gotten evil?

Last I heard their business model is "Be awesome so people keep using our stuff, sell ad-space on our stuff, profit". Being evil would destroy that because of the first part...

Is it the data-mining? It's the data-mining, isn't it?
Hilarious are the "Scroogled" commercials, which try to consternated about being subjected to ads* when searching or using GMail. Because, y'know, it's a free service. That needs to be paid for. That you voluntarily are using.
"I can't believe GMail is mining through my email to sell me ads"

"Yeah, it's such a bother when a company you willingly give data to decides to use it to give you ads that you might find useful for once."

I simply press the [X] or Cancel button whenever Youtube asks me to make a Google+ page. I'd actually be fine with taking a page and letting it languish, but I don't know which of the options (Youtube name across whole of google, Separate Youtube/Google, and a third option I can't remember (Google name on Youtube?)) I'd like. I like having my email-named account across all of Google except for Youtube, where I have just my Youtube name. None of the options seem to give me that.

*The user without AdBlock Plus is a sad user indeed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:24:31 pm by lue »
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28937 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:16 pm »

Well, no, not really. I only use Gmail (and YT, duh) and G+ doesn't bother me to sign up at all.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28938 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:47 pm »

It's lying to the public about what they're doing and working with the government to subvert the foundation of democracy and their frankly abusive behaviour on places like youtube against small content creators in service to the record labels, where original creations have adds plastered on them to pay the executives of unrelated companies because google values their relationship.

People dislike that Google has decided it has a mandate to control the behaviour of it's users on a large scale - it's attempts to force them to use google+, to force them to use their real name, the limitations it's imposed and the walled gardens it has built, all are based around reducing the control users have over their lives so Google can make more money over them - they are not just building the best product, but they are insuring that once you use anything they make you face ever increasing pressure to let them control everything, whether you want to or not, or risk losing the things you've accomplished through them in the past.

It's also gone from taking great care of it's employees and expanding in a way that getting bought by google could conceivably be a good thing for your company to a much more traditional and predatory practice, where it buys up competitors just to shut them down and treats those who work for it (except in a few areas) much worse than it used to, with more of the benefits of a once egalitarian company going to upper management, shareholders, and "corporate partners".

It's also actively taken stances against the open source movement, while mining everything they've created to enforce their own control over the marketplace. They've adopted many of Microsofts tactics, where they ship there own services together and block out competitors, except WORSE than microsoft ever did - they threatened to completely discontinue Android for Motorola phones if Motorola considered packaging in a competing location service not sold by Google.

Google also has a reputation for skirting laws in regards to ads, and doing it knowingly, especially in regards to adds for illegal medications, scams, and malware. They've lost almost half a billion in lawsuits over this issue alone, but keep doing it because it makes them far more money. But it's hard to call that sort of justification not evil.

These are just some of the reasons people have turned against Google. But essentially, they have decided that they are the new Microsoft, and the ones in control, and that they will do anything to insure things stay that way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28939 on: October 29, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »

Add how they abruptly switched sides on the issue of internet censorship when Google Fiber got going.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28940 on: October 29, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »

they threatened to completely discontinue Android for Motorola phones if Motorola considered packaging in a competing location service not sold by Google.

I see no problem with this. Motorola ships Android phones with a customized OS, Motorola should be the entity that maintains said OS.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #28941 on: October 29, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »

Ok, I admit it. I just want Half Life 3.
As do we all.

I don't.
* miauw62 burns Naxza at the stake
Neither do I.
And I never played any Half Life, nor portal 2 (I do have portal 1 and finished it twice though), nor TF2 (ok that's a lie I played it. For 30 minutes.)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28942 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »

Then rejoice, because Source Engine 2 is heavily in development.

I do have some dark feelings about that though. If I recall correctly there's a game coming out for one of the next-gen consoles that is allegedly running on Source 2, but in my opinion it did not seem all that impressive. The game involved mechs or something and reminded me of Borderlands crossed with Call of Duty and Halo 3. Was that just a rumour?

Titanfall is running on Source 1 still.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28943 on: October 30, 2013, 12:07:48 am »

Oh. Oh dear.

This is the part where I turn in my English hat, isn't it? I am ashamed to have made such a blunder.
Shun. SHUN.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28944 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:47 am »

As much as you guys are pointing out bad things about google, you also need to remember that there are far worse things than them. There is still the isps that sit on their arse and don't even try to make any better service because theres no one to fight against for miles (and then act like a kid who had something stolen from him if google adds a single city), among other things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28945 on: October 30, 2013, 09:51:40 am »

Oh. Oh dear.

This is the part where I turn in my English hat, isn't it? I am ashamed to have made such a blunder.

Your english hat is MINE now! ALL MINE! MUHWAHWAHWA

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28946 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:11 am »

Oh. Oh dear.

Your english hat is MINE now! ALL MINE! MUHWAHWAHWA

Dear, I am nonplussed to say that your maniacal laughter is under no circumstances to be considered British enough for even a native-born aide of the Viceroy of India.

* LordSlowpoke nabs the English hat with an utmost level of swiftness and secrecy.
i'm really glad that you didn't capitalize the e in english on purpose i rarely get to be the nazi around here
Pip pip cheerio.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28947 on: October 30, 2013, 10:59:50 am »

* Aklyon politely asks for the english hat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28948 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:22 am »

* Descan wears his Stetson proudly!

(that's the Mounties hat if you were wondering)

* Descan is torn between his Stetson and Scottish beret. D:
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28949 on: October 30, 2013, 12:02:12 pm »

* Descan wears his Stetson proudly!

(that's the Mounties hat if you were wondering)

* Descan is torn between his Stetson and Scottish beret. D:

Wear both! At the same time!

I, meanwhile, remain faithful to my anachronistic combo.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 1928 1929 [1930] 1931 1932 ... 3345