Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3426507 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30720 on: December 24, 2013, 08:02:06 pm »

Fuck doctors with the force of one thousand suns. I've not been ill for eight years--nothing worse than sniffles that I barely even noticed. I let my GP talk me into a flu shot, and big fucking surprise, a few days later I wake up at 6 AM, vomit eight times between then and noon, and feel drawn out and broken for the rest of the day. The only way for bugs to beat my immune system is direct injection into the bloodstream by medical staff, it seems. Fuck doctors, I'm almost at the point of not taking the typhoid meds before I go abroad this summer from sheer lack of trust.
... Or it's just because you went into the doctor's office. Which happens to be where sick people congregate.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30721 on: December 24, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30722 on: December 24, 2013, 09:33:23 pm »

Fuck doctors with the force of one thousand suns. I've not been ill for eight years--nothing worse than sniffles that I barely even noticed. I let my GP talk me into a flu shot, and big fucking surprise, a few days later I wake up at 6 AM, vomit eight times between then and noon, and feel drawn out and broken for the rest of the day. The only way for bugs to beat my immune system is direct injection into the bloodstream by medical staff, it seems. Fuck doctors, I'm almost at the point of not taking the typhoid meds before I go abroad this summer from sheer lack of trust.
... Or it's just because you went into the doctor's office. Which happens to be where sick people congregate.
The office was empty when I went, and as is my custom I washed my hands both in the office and when I got home. Also, this is literally the exact same thing that happened to an associate of mine after she got a flu shot. I'm hardly inclined to believe that it's coincidental the first time I've had the flu since before I turned 13 (and probably the worst I've ever had it) came two days after a flu shot. I've lived in close proximity to people with the flu pretty much every year and never caught it, thanks to a strong immune system + washing with hot water.

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me.
See above. Besides, I know my allergies (and their symptoms) and have been treating them for years. People getting the flu from flu shots is something that, y'know, happens. Unlike bullshit about autism and childhood immunizations, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30723 on: December 25, 2013, 01:04:29 am »

You do realize the flu actually does kill several thousand people in the US every year, right? A few hundred thousand worldwide. Small potatoes, to be sure, but I think you might be being overly flippant, Naxza. Also, the flu vaccine cannot give you the flu, though I agree that you probably should not get it again if it's having side effects that serious, Flying Dice. It's really only crucial in health care workers, who need to not spread the damn stuff, and people with weaker immune systems, who're at higher risk of having serious complications. Otherwise, I figure it's mostly a matter of encouraging herd immunity, which I'm not too worried about.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30724 on: December 25, 2013, 01:15:31 am »

Besides, I know my allergies (and their symptoms) and have been treating them for years.
Even if you somehow did have a complete profile of that, allergies can arise where they did not exist before.
People getting the flu from flu shots is something that, y'know, happens. Unlike bullshit about autism and childhood immunizations, etc.
It only happens to the severely immunocompromised if given an attenuated vaccine, and you are not immunocompromised, because people without a strong immune reaction to trigger don't get allergies. Furthermore, you didn't get an attenuated vaccine if it was a shot and not FluMist, so there is literally zero chance of you having gotten the flu from this.

So don't spread this kind of misinformation, regardless of your personal anecdotes. It can kill.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30725 on: December 25, 2013, 01:29:46 am »

Also people who GET FUCKING PNEUMONIA AND ASTHMA ALL THE TIME

sorry for the raegcaps, it's been a hard week.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #30726 on: December 25, 2013, 03:12:55 am »

I..erm, really think you should look into how those things work before cursing off our general profession, thanks. :S

This could also be a factor. Nosocomial diseases, suck~

You do realize the flu actually does kill several thousand people in the US every year, right? A few hundred thousand worldwide. Small potatoes, to be sure, but I think you might be being overly flippant, Naxza. Also, the flu vaccine cannot give you the flu, though I agree that you probably should not get it again if it's having side effects that serious, Flying Dice. It's really only crucial in health care workers, who need to not spread the damn stuff, and people with weaker immune systems, who're at higher risk of having serious complications. Otherwise, I figure it's mostly a matter of encouraging herd immunity, which I'm not too worried about.
Flu is caused by...a lot of things though. Many different sources of origin; mostly the same symptoms (what only you personally see) and signs (what can be seen by others).

Rage: VIRUSES ARE EEVIL D:<
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:15:36 am by Tiruin »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30727 on: December 25, 2013, 03:45:02 am »

Also, a lot of the puzzle games released recently are absolutely terrible.  I realize that most games released are absolutely terrible, but for some reason it's the puzzle games I notice the most.

(Excuse me "The Bridge" WTF did you think you were doing and could you please stop now, thanks)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30728 on: December 25, 2013, 06:07:06 am »

I'm sick of the fact that pointing out bigotry will often get a bigger backlash than acts of bigotry.  There are too many people that think that overt extremist bigotry is the only bigotry.  For some, the fear of association with those extreme views is so great that they will deny their own bigotry when it is presented to them.  For others, they are so secure in the assumption that they are not bigots that they cannot grasp the idea that they might be.
They end up perpetuating bigotry in their fear of being condemned for it.

Sensitivity is complex, however, and intent alone is not enough.  Subtle bigotry is very common, and nobody should be surprised to find themselves engaged in it.  When an accusation is made, it's worth giving it consideration.  If you don't want to be a bigot, you have to change as you learn.  It's not all or nothing.

This isn't about Duck Dynasty, btw.  It's just been building up over time, and also something that I learned first hand.  x3

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30729 on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:59 am »

I'm talking about myself, actually... I get flu shots because my lungs are pretty messed up.  Never smoked neither >.<

Sorry for the confusion.  I can totally commiserate.  Pneumonia fucking sucks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30730 on: December 25, 2013, 07:38:37 am »

Indeed. Was not a fan the time I had it as a kid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30731 on: December 25, 2013, 08:43:51 am »

I was born in a poorer area of LA, where the air quality is shit and our closets were filled with black mold (also, where people in gangs were trying to kill each other in our back yard).  So, it's definitely a "we're not going to bother investigating that" situation, but I am pretty sure it makes sense.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #30732 on: December 25, 2013, 09:07:57 am »

I was born in a poorer area of LA, where the air quality is shit and our closets were filled with black mold (also, where people in gangs were trying to kill each other in our back yard).  So, it's definitely a "we're not going to bother investigating that" situation, but I am pretty sure it makes sense.
DX
That scares me. :S

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30733 on: December 25, 2013, 10:09:53 am »

At least you live near the coast now. Seems like the air there is usually pretty nice, if only because of that little body of water known as the Pacific Ocean.
Still, lung problems suck and I definitely feel for ya :/

Semi-rage: A while back I mentioned that a cable company I used to work for got involved in some sort of lawsuit that I got a cut of. I had hoped that the suit might have put them out of business. Nope: I still see their vehicles driving around and I still involuntarily hiss when one goes by. I can only hope that the ones that made life hell are gone  >:(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30734 on: December 25, 2013, 10:15:44 am »

Ha ha ha. Yeah, I've noted before -- especially better off companies, they don't do shit if it will result in a lawsuit actually capable of crippling them. They will very specifically weigh legal costs vs. compliance (/not being jack holes) costs and choose legal costs if that costs them less, assuming they can absorb the PR hit a lawsuit (sometimes, not always) entails. There's the occasional exception, but by and large that's the rule of things, t'the best of my knowledge.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 ... 3345