Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3431319 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30735 on: December 25, 2013, 11:18:34 am »

I was born in a poorer area of LA, where the air quality is shit and our closets were filled with black mold (also, where people in gangs were trying to kill each other in our back yard).  So, it's definitely a "we're not going to bother investigating that" situation, but I am pretty sure it makes sense.

Either I have learnt that in English mold apparently has different colours or Vector is secretly really racist O_O
Love, scriver~

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30736 on: December 25, 2013, 11:22:23 am »

Black mold is also known as Stachybotrys.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30737 on: December 25, 2013, 11:29:41 am »

Either I have learnt that in English mold apparently has different colours or Vector is secretly really racist O_O
What the hell? You've never seen moulds of other colours? Sheesh, not everyone lives in homogenous mould cultures. Get on my mould multiculture level, you hygienic mysophobe.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:31:26 am by Loud Whispers »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30738 on: December 25, 2013, 11:42:18 am »

Black mold is also known as Stachybotrys.
The fabled mustache botox, for when your facial hair is too wrinkled and expressive.

... which would probably actually be marginally worse than black mold, if you injected it directly into your lungs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30739 on: December 25, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »

I was born in a poorer area of LA, where the air quality is shit and our closets were filled with black mold (also, where people in gangs were trying to kill each other in our back yard).  So, it's definitely a "we're not going to bother investigating that" situation, but I am pretty sure it makes sense.
At least you live near the coast now. Seems like the air there is usually pretty nice, if only because of that little body of water known as the Pacific Ocean.
Still, lung problems suck and I definitely feel for ya :/

It's actually really bad right now.  There's a zone called the "880 corridor" that seriously fucks up the local poor kids (I would know, I spent half a year teachin' 'em), and has similar horrific air and problems with gang violence.  I'm two cities away from the really, really bad zone.  However, because of the recent climate change issues, we're not getting any rain this December, so air quality has COMPLETELY tanked, there's crazy fires where metal is spontaneously combusting, etc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30740 on: December 25, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »

you don't know the joys of life until you've driven over 200km in a car that you don't even own for a person you don't care about

i'm going to need to reassure myself that once i leave the country my life will only get better

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30741 on: December 25, 2013, 01:53:15 pm »

This is a specific kind of mold that tends to grow in buildings where there's been water damage. Unlike the various molds that can propagate on food left in the back of the fridge way too long (which can be pink, grey, white, furry, splotchy, and sometimes all of the above. I distinctly remember in college finding some tricolor pasta that wasn't tricolor when it went in....)

It also puts out a ton of spores and those spores do some bad shit to your body, especially where respiratory systems are concerned.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30742 on: December 25, 2013, 02:27:45 pm »

At least you live near the coast now. Seems like the air there is usually pretty nice, if only because of that little body of water known as the Pacific Ocean.
Still, lung problems suck and I definitely feel for ya :/

It's actually really bad right now.  There's a zone called the "880 corridor" that seriously fucks up the local poor kids (I would know, I spent half a year teachin' 'em), and has similar horrific air and problems with gang violence.  I'm two cities away from the really, really bad zone.  However, because of the recent climate change issues, we're not getting any rain this December, so air quality has COMPLETELY tanked, there's crazy fires where metal is spontaneously combusting, etc.
Holy shit. I just knew 880 sucked because of frequent extremely heavy traffic, but that's something else entirely O_o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #30743 on: December 25, 2013, 02:53:08 pm »

This is a specific kind of mold that tends to grow in buildings where there's been water damage. Unlike the various molds that can propagate on food left in the back of the fridge way too long (which can be pink, grey, white, furry, splotchy, and sometimes all of the above. I distinctly remember in college finding some tricolor pasta that wasn't tricolor when it went in....)

It also puts out a ton of spores and those spores do some bad shit to your body, especially where respiratory systems are concerned.
Molds + Adequate supply of Moisture is my best belief given that those black molds are the only other color of molds I've ever fought. The other kind are white and look like tiny blobby mushrooms.

...I saw those black molds at the corner of that very high closet I have. They're pretty...creepy. Nothing a good blowtorch can handle :D
Or cloth and some bleach. But that isn't fun.
>_>
<_<
I believe its the molds that kick your lungs. That make me...'allergic', when actually its the puffins that they release when they die or somesuch.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #30744 on: December 25, 2013, 03:16:28 pm »

I was waiting until my friend opened my card to give him before gifting him Starbound on Steam, but when he opened it, I attempted to gift it to him, but my steam inventory is broken for some reason. >:(

EDIT: Got to my inventory, but I get an error on the send gift page. CHRISTMAS RUINED
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:19:21 pm by Jack_Bread »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30745 on: December 25, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »

Or cloth and some bleach. But that isn't fun.

Yeah, we were in a really shitty beach cottage, so it was just going to be either

a. Bleach all the time or
b. Mold all the time

I mean, we also had peeling lead paint, rusty orange water, shower water that swapped between ice and scalding without warning... it just wasn't a good place to live.  400 sq. ft. too, LOL.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30746 on: December 25, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »

I must be cursed when it comes to martini shakers.

First one I got last year as a white elephant gift, the cap was stuck on, to the point an awl and hammer wouldn't get it off. So it was useless as a strainer.

Second one I got that Christmas. Used it once and then the lid just up and vanished w/o a trace. A martini shaker with a cap and body but no lid is just a stainless steel cup.

And now I just got one for this Xmas as a replacement. It's a very nice set with all the accoutrements. Except it has a pint glass for a lid instead of a lid with a strainer. Really? A nice martini set and they give you a glass instead of a lid for the shaker? /sigh The whole objective here is to not make a bloody mess and have vodka and olive juice spilling all over when I make one. Clearly, that's the way God intended it though.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30747 on: December 25, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »

Left4dea2 is free. There is no hope.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30748 on: December 26, 2013, 12:49:09 am »

So my Dad got me a new laptop for Christmas, to replace my old one which has been essentially crippled for almost two years now. I'm slightly pissed that he just went out and bought one without consulting me, but it was apparently a special deal so I can understand. Unfortunately, it of course comes with Windows 8 pre-installed.

I knew I wouldn't like Windows 8, and I've been dreading switching over to a new laptop partially because of it, but even so I'm surprised at how much rage it's causing me. The whole tablet style start menu and desktop split design is infuriating in how it buries all the less used functions, I've been having annoying bugs since I completed the setup, and I have to redo most of the setup to get the 8.1 update and I'm now forced to create a Microsoft account full of personal information for "security reasons" which I was able to opt out of during the initial setup.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the gift and I definitely needed the new laptop, but everything new in Windows 8 seems to make using the computer pointlessly more inconvenient than in 7 and based on my experience so far, it's going to be a painful transition.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30749 on: December 26, 2013, 12:51:25 am »

So my Dad got me a new laptop for Christmas, to replace my old one which has been essentially crippled for almost two years now. I'm slightly pissed that he just went out and bought one without consulting me, but it was apparently a special deal so I can understand. Unfortunately, it of course comes with Windows 8 pre-installed.

I knew I wouldn't like Windows 8, and I've been dreading switching over to a new laptop partially because of it, but even so I'm surprised at how much rage it's causing me. The whole tablet style start menu and desktop split design is infuriating in how it buries all the less used functions, I've been having annoying bugs since I completed the setup, and I have to redo most of the setup to get the 8.1 update and I'm now forced to create a Microsoft account full of personal information for "security reasons" which I was able to opt out of during the initial setup.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the gift and I definitely needed the new laptop, but everything new in Windows 8 seems to make using the computer pointlessly more inconvenient than in 7 and based on my experience so far, it's going to be a painful transition.

Odd.

I've not had the same problems. Personally, the only problem I've had is hitting the windows key while playing starbound.
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 3345