Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428389 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30780 on: December 27, 2013, 11:44:53 am »

Yeah, I would have advised you to wait for a period in which name usage is not often needed to do that

We did; we've given them four full months  :-[
Insurance is nothing but a huge scam, and I am holding out hope that I see it eradicated in my lifetime.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30781 on: December 27, 2013, 01:54:07 pm »

But ... if we remove an unnecessary middleman from a market, all those wealthy shareholders' portfolios will lose value! All those insurance company employees will need to turn their efforts to companies that actually produce goods or services! Documentary filmmakers will need to find another completely terrible industry with hideous practices they can expose! People might actually get affordable healthcare.

Madness.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30782 on: December 27, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »

I dunno about that. It needs to be non-profit, obviously, but spreading unavoidable, large costs out among a large number of people seems like a generally solid strategy for ensuring that those costs can be paid without ruining anybody. Insurance is very similar to taxation, it's just that profit as a motive has totally perverted the process.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30783 on: December 27, 2013, 04:15:46 pm »

Aaargh, my day just now started and its already 1300! That's 1 in the afternoon if you don't understand military time!

Basically this means that I still have a potential 14 hour day ahead of me despite being awake for 6 hours already, and I'm all but guaranteed to have to start late tomorrow. Worst case scenario I stop working sometime around 3 in the morning.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30784 on: December 27, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »

I dunno about that. It needs to be non-profit, obviously, but spreading unavoidable, large costs out among a large number of people seems like a generally solid strategy for ensuring that those costs can be paid without ruining anybody. Insurance is very similar to taxation, it's just that profit as a motive has totally perverted the process.
+1, not all insurances are 'Murrican.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30785 on: December 27, 2013, 05:06:30 pm »

Well, that's... somewhat enraging. Day or two ago, question proposed: Do I mind someone staying over for a few days, which is like, yeah, sure. Bit over the weekend, maybe a bit into the week. No prob, I really don't mind helping out. Cut to about 36 hours later, I find out from a third party the negotiated "few days" is more like two+ fucking weeks.

I'm... not in a very happy place, right now. People don't have to do this underhanded bullshit to get me to agree to things. I just need a little forthrightedness and warning. I honestly wouldn't have minded a half month stayover if someone would have goddamn told me it was a half month stayover when I was initially asked. Didn't get any of it, and now I'm going to be saddled with two weeks and change of goddamn air conditioning and TV, when I seriously have no need for either and a fair amount of need to be away from both.

Just... not righteous. Can't really do much about it, 'cause the person that shafted me in the first place is the owner of the place I'm staying in, but that doesn't stop me from being kinda' pissed off.

And I probably have to figure out what to do about, like, food and suchlike. Basic amenities. Because the house in question has not been set up for someone else living there for any notable amount of time. Just... ugh. Damnit people. All I ask is warning. A little freaking prep time. That's just about all I've ever fucking asked for, at any point. Just give me a day. Two days, preferably. Instead, no days, and the person's already been dropped off at the house, without anyone telling me that was going to goddamn be done and just. Just. I seriously do not like people being in my house without, like, me being there. Especially if they're there before I can fix things up. There's something incredibly irritating about a guest coming into one's home without being there to personally greet them and offer entry. S'just... that's not how you do things. Not right. Not proper.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30786 on: December 27, 2013, 07:24:48 pm »

OOOOOOOOOMPH.

I had been about to call my grandmother to thank her for a Christmas gift that she had payed for, but Dad insisted that I call her on my mothers phone, and then hand it to my brother.

Once, when I was younger, I was in a similar situation, and I walked out of the room so the sound of the TV wouldn't be over the phone, and I could hear what the person was saying better. Cue me getting nagged about how I should be able to hear the tiny sounds of the phone over the big sounds of the TV.

And yet, today, when I called her, all I had to do was say "yeah" a twice to get a "You're so weird" out of my brother, and an enormous laugh out of them both when I made a small joke. After I got told that I needed to "actually talk" simply because I answered "Yes" to questions, I lower the phone and basically that they are talking way too loud and too often about the way I speak to people, I get told that I was supposed to be talking to my grandmother, and commanded to give my phone to my brother.

I called her because I had been reminded to thank her for her gift. I did not call so that I could tell her random bullshit about what was happening in my life, which was what my mother constantly tells me to do, and what I'm assuming she meant whenever she berated me when I answered a question with "yes".

I do not own my cell phone so that I can call people at random times and tell them that I just lost power, what I'm eating, that I'm taking a dump, or whatever. If I have something meaningful and important to say, and have a reason to say it, I will say it. If I have nothing to say, I'M NOT GOING TO FRIGGING SAY ANYTHING. Don't like that? SCREW YOU.

I honestly don't see why she tells me todo that, at all. Calling to thank someone means calling them, giving them some form of a thank you, and saying goodbye. The same rule applies to direct conversation, and she nags me to do the same thing during that. Unfortunately, I guess I'm just one of those cold, terrible people who talks when he has something to say, instead of having long, random, and frankly painful conversations about absolutely nothing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30787 on: December 27, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »

No, actually, a thank-you conversation--in lieu of a thank-you note--is supposed to contain the same content.  I.e. information about how your lives are going, to indicate that you care about the person more than as a gift-dispenser.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30788 on: December 27, 2013, 07:40:13 pm »

And I did. I asked her how she was doing, if she was having a good vacation, things like that, and she answered, that was over. I was asked some questions, some of which I answered with a yes, and got yelled at, which was what I didn't understand.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30789 on: December 27, 2013, 07:41:50 pm »

.-.

Dunno, then.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30790 on: December 27, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Never forget how bad IGN is.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30791 on: December 27, 2013, 08:06:29 pm »

Thread's over, folks. Go home. We can't top this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30792 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:40 pm »

Has Capcom ever even done anything with God Hand? As far as I know they haven't touched the IP since it first came out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30793 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:45 pm »

And that's not even brushing IGN's habit of accepting donations in exchange for favourable reviews.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30794 on: December 28, 2013, 02:01:03 am »

I don't like how journalists don't call people out on their lies directly. The worst you'll see is "here is what Politician X said. But here is what our research says". It creeps into people's everyday speech. Game companies bribe IGN to lie to us. That's what happens. Lobbyists are hired by their companies to bribe politicians into acting / voting how they want. Just say it like it is.

Anyway, MY rant of the moment is youtube ads. I don't mind watching an ad. I understand there's a lot of bandwidth being used and in-video ads pay a lot more than banners everyone ignores. But show me a different ad every single time, and don't show me idiotic ads with the worst music.

For the former, just lower your prices a bit to get a greater variety of sponsors.

For the latter, ad agencies need to actually do a good job instead of a shitty job. By that I mean, (1) I have seen good ads, they can be entertaining and not facepalm-inducing, and (2) when someone makes a bad ad, it's because along the way either a creative person flubbed it or an executive flubbed it. Either way someone wasn't doing their job right and it resulted in a piss-poor product. I go to work every day and work hard, create good stuff. I shouldn't have to come home to watch youtube and see an ad that's like a window into someone's office where I can see him failing like an idiot all day to shovel it out the door.

You're gonna feed me a shit sandwich when you show me this ad, you might as well make it look good.

I guess I have this problem with anyone producing something that I interact with that shows their ineptitude. I almost always just shrug and give them the benefit of the doubt - I'm not a continual complainer. I don't bitch when someone gets my eggs wrong. But lately I've been dealing with these bullshit Planetside 2 and DDO connectivity issues and it's got me on edge.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 3345