Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2068 2069 [2070] 2071 2072 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428618 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #31035 on: January 04, 2014, 01:25:06 am »

So apparently NVidia don't support OpenCL any more. NVidia basically dropped all pretenses at supporting the OpenCL standard for all their cards, and as such, they can't use above version 1.1, released in 2010. Hardware support is there; they just can't be arsed to write drivers for it. Well, guess any OpenCL code I write excludes the use of NVidia GPUs. Time to buy a proper AMD card (which will soon be faster and probably have better console porting ability because of Mantle anyway) and put this NVidia paperweight in the closet.

Yeah, so don't buy NVidia GPUs.

So... AMD, you say? *Makes mental note*

The rest of the forum knowspeople agree?
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31036 on: January 04, 2014, 01:51:14 am »

-snip-

I'm an AMD supporter, if that counts for anything.
Pouring out sweat all day, pretty much every surface in my flat is painful to touch, and to top it off my fan just died, leaving a nasty smell of melting plastic in the room. I don't think I'll be able to play my PS3 anymore in this weather, the thing goes into overdrive trying to keep itself cool.

If only I had some money and could actually go somewhere. ::)
Tell you what: you ship me some heat, and I'll box up some cold, and we'll both even out at 70f/22c. Sound good? It is currently 11f/-12c here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:57:09 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31037 on: January 04, 2014, 01:53:56 am »

Think I saw a mouse in the pantry :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31038 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:31 am »

Think I saw a mouse in the pantry :I
Time to burn the building to the ground and salt the earth beneath.

Or mousetraps, I guess, if you feel like dealing with tiny rodent corpses.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31039 on: January 04, 2014, 02:07:35 am »

Or a cat. Cats are good.

Just the one though, otherwise you may end up with more than you want. Unless you have a real mouse problem, one should be enough.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:35:53 am by BlackFlyme »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31040 on: January 04, 2014, 02:23:44 am »

Pouring out sweat all day, pretty much every surface in my flat is painful to touch, and to top it off my fan just died, leaving a nasty smell of melting plastic in the room. I don't think I'll be able to play my PS3 anymore in this weather, the thing goes into overdrive trying to keep itself cool.

Tell you what: you ship me some heat, and I'll box up some cold, and we'll both even out at 70f/22c. Sound good? It is currently 11f/-12c here.

I've heard it may get to -40F here over the weekend.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31041 on: January 04, 2014, 02:32:38 am »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31042 on: January 04, 2014, 02:33:28 am »

I've heard it may get to -40F here over the weekend.
And I thought the -24F we're scheduled for was bad.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #31043 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:44 am »

So apparently NVidia don't support OpenCL any more. NVidia basically dropped all pretenses at supporting the OpenCL standard for all their cards, and as such, they can't use above version 1.1, released in 2010. Hardware support is there; they just can't be arsed to write drivers for it. Well, guess any OpenCL code I write excludes the use of NVidia GPUs. Time to buy a proper AMD card (which will soon be faster and probably have better console porting ability because of Mantle anyway) and put this NVidia paperweight in the closet.

NVidia aren't completely out yet, but if they don't announce something really big really soon, they're toast.

Mantle will be an open API; NVidia can develop with it if they want to. It would be more or less directly portable to consoles, since they run on the AMD APUs which Mantle somewhat aims for (despite being PC only; consoles already have Mantle-like languages, and have for a while). But chances are, NVidia won't develop for it, since they haven't even bothered updating their OpenCL drivers in 3 years. For graphics-intense games, NVidia will run like shit if Mantle becomes standard.

In the compute language department, CUDA is on a long walk off a short pier. Intel, AMD, and every other company on the market are locked out of CUDA, since it is fully proprietary. Meanwhile, all of those same companies are fully behind OpenCL. OpenCL will run on your desktop's GPU, it will run on your desktop's CPU, it will run on your laptop's GPU or CPU or integrated GPU. It will run on your phone, it will run on your console.
It will run on a boat, it will run on a goat... and it will run in the rain, and in the dark, and on a train. And in a car, and in a tree. And it will run in a box, and it will run with a fox, it will run in a house, and it will run with a mouse. It will run here and there, it will run ANYWHERE. Except an nvidia card
I will give them that OpenCL has a steeper learning curve than CUDA. CUDA has a nice API which is fairly easy to use; but that fact is entirely worthless if you can only support a small subset of machines. If you have an AMD machine, I would need to manually write an entirely separate implementation of my compute needs on the CPU or with OpenCL. If you have an NVidia machine, I would simply see the fact that no GPUs support OpenCL, and choose a CPU device to run it on. No extra code required, no separate data paths or anything. Just run the OpenCL on the CPU. Or, if the GPU performance is necessary, some simple changes to an NVidia codepath to remove any OpenCL 1.2+ features.

At this point, NVidia is in two markets, having been driven out of the console market pretty much entirely by AMD making the hardware for the current-gen systems. NVidia are in the desktop PC business and the mobile chipset business. In the mobile sector, no one is going to use CUDA. No one. The mobile market thrives on compatibility and portability of code; CUDA really doesn't have either. I wouldn't yet call compute power in the mobile market a big thing yet, but it may well be 'the next big thing' in mobile. That compute power is what will give the devices powerful capability, like image recognition or other parallel, highly-intensive operations. AR, and all those sorts of things can use all the compute power you throw at them. OpenCL is really the only possibility of a standard for mobile; they just don't have the marketshare to bully out other vendors like they do on the desktop.
So then there's the desktop. They have momentum here, and that is entirely what they are depending on to push CUDA and things running on it (like PhysX). And really nothing more than momentum. OpenCL gets basically the same performance on a desktop GPU as CUDA. It only sticks around because NVidia have a much higher budget for pushing it, and generally have more impressive tech demos since they can throw more money at teams developing them. None of this is actually any better than OpenCL; generally all the same. So it really just comes down to platform support; where OpenCL is king.

But most importantly of all, NVidia can go fall down a well for turning GPU computing into a developer hell of non-standards, wasting everyone's time and money, and over all resulting in giving the end user shittier games and products. GPUs these days have several trillion floating point operations per second, and basically no one uses them for GPGPU in games because it's too much of a pain!

Or at least that's my rant on it, from the perspective of a graphics programmer. :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:39:29 am by alway »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31044 on: January 04, 2014, 02:37:24 am »

Or a cat. Cat's are good.

HHHNNNNG

Whoops. Fixed it.

Also, my computer is pretty slow all of a sudden.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31045 on: January 04, 2014, 06:04:43 am »

Or a cat. Cat's are good.

HHHNNNNG

Whoops. Fixed it.

Also, my computer is pretty slow all of a sudden.

Still looks wrong to me. The apostrophe does not belong here.

About the computer, did you try cleaning the radiators or defragging? Both tend to help a lot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31046 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:03 am »

Spend a few hours working on the ending to my writing project and goddamnir. I do not like how it turned out. Now I'll have to fix my little idea for an ending, delete a bunch if progress, and probably screw up again.

Alas, the writing process is odd.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31047 on: January 04, 2014, 07:44:43 am »

I just found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't believe that someone thought it was okay to say something like this.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31048 on: January 04, 2014, 08:31:29 am »

Did I mention that the Pebble watch I bought two weeks ago doesn't connect to my galaxy s3 anywhere as continuously as it should, and that customs charged me 40 fucking € for the import?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31049 on: January 04, 2014, 08:42:32 am »

I just found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't believe that someone thought it was okay to say something like this.
People who use so many short sentences next to each other should be dragged out into the street and beaten with apostrophes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2068 2069 [2070] 2071 2072 ... 3345