Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2073 2074 [2075] 2076 2077 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3429112 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: At The Speed Of RAGE Edition
« Reply #31110 on: January 06, 2014, 02:41:07 pm »

Decided to try and find a guide to solving a rubik's cube (since I've never done it before and it irritates me)

First guide I find tells you how to. From certain positions that it never tells you how to do.

'Make a cross on one of the faces!'
How?
'We won't tell you!'
Just pick a middle square, find the four pieces you need to make a cross around it, and move them into position one by one. Note that later on you'll get a twist-by-twist description of every step you need to do, it's only the first moves that aren't described (generally because they can be done easily enough without knowing any algorithms).

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31111 on: January 06, 2014, 02:59:11 pm »

Protip: Peel off the stickers, reapply in desired arrangement.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31112 on: January 06, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »

Had to make ramen noodles for my brother and my friend.

Several minutes of cooking ramen and two bad decisions later, I have three burnt fingurs on my right hand.
Who knew that pouring an almost-full bowl of water into another bowl will cause water to flow over half of the first bowl's edge?

Instant edit: Four.
Damn you, pinky!
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31113 on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:53 pm »

Moving is a pain in the ass. Especially when it's a last minute type of move, with an ass of a boss. Made us take our shoes off as we moved boxes into the house, despite the fact that there were dropsheets everywhere, so a lot of time was wasted just taking shoes off then putting them back once when you went to go get another box from outside.

But about a dozen people showed up to help, which is more than those who bothered to help fix up the house. though some people refused to help move as well.

The house isn't even done yet, either. The main floor has a hardwood floor and the walls are somewhat ready, but the downstairs doesn't even have a floor yet. Guess whose room is supposed to be in the basement; or rather, who's going to be sleeping on the couch for the next week or so.

Most of the stuff in my room isn't even mine; people just shoved crap in there. Not very well, either, since only about half the room had stuff in it, and the back closet is empty and inaccessible. Just looking in shows a sink, a cabinet, and some random metal frame which are all not mine.

But at least we've got cable and internet back. Not that I ever bother watching TV.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31114 on: January 06, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »

Protip: Peel off the stickers, reapply in desired arrangement.
This one doesn't use stickers.

I need to disassemble the damned thing. Through repeated use of a hammer would be my favourite way.

It's made worse by the fact I decided to do it because I was bored and feeling a little annoyed.
All it's done is make me MORE annoyed, because the person who made the guide seemed to think at every fucking step 'Nah, you can figure it out!'
And following a video guide is pretty hard. For me at least. That was the only written guide I found that made sense, and all it has is 'OK! Do X, but you know how.'
Apply sharpie, all squares black, cube complete.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31115 on: January 06, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »

What if you bought another cube that did have stickers, peeled those off, and applied them?

I wouldn't recommend actually trying to solve the cube as intended. That way lies madness.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:38:33 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31117 on: January 06, 2014, 05:10:34 pm »

Try this

It was the one I used when I first got it. I found a simpler method though.

My record is only 1:18 for 3x3x3 though. Certainly not a 9x9x9.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31118 on: January 06, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »

Moving is a pain in the ass. Especially when it's a last minute type of move, with an ass of a boss. Made us take our shoes off as we moved boxes into the house, despite the fact that there were dropsheets everywhere, so a lot of time was wasted just taking shoes off then putting them back once when you went to go get another box from outside.

But about a dozen people showed up to help, which is more than those who bothered to help fix up the house. though some people refused to help move as well.

The house isn't even done yet, either. The main floor has a hardwood floor and the walls are somewhat ready, but the downstairs doesn't even have a floor yet. Guess whose room is supposed to be in the basement; or rather, who's going to be sleeping on the couch for the next week or so.

Most of the stuff in my room isn't even mine; people just shoved crap in there. Not very well, either, since only about half the room had stuff in it, and the back closet is empty and inaccessible. Just looking in shows a sink, a cabinet, and some random metal frame which are all not mine.

But at least we've got cable and internet back. Not that I ever bother watching TV.
I suggest spending your next couple days making sure you get all your stuff. Moving other peoples' stuff out comes next just so they don't accidentally grab your stuff while rifling through their boxes that are in your space.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31119 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:48 pm »

-snip-
I suggest spending your next couple days making sure you get all your stuff. Moving other peoples' stuff out comes next just so they don't accidentally grab your stuff while rifling through their boxes that are in your space.

Only took me an hour; the room is fairly small and was mostly empty. Everyone just piled stuff at the door, leaving most of the room inaccessible.

All but one of my boxes were in my room. The missing one was mislabeled. Everything is there, as far as I can tell, but I can't do anything with any of it until the basement gets finished. No point in setting up my room since it would all have to be taken apart again.

Though I am missing a USB-to-Micro-USB adapter, which was driving me insane. I eventually ran out to Walmart and got a new one. And since I can't set up my desktop I'm stuck on my old laptop, which is too slow to even play most flash games.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31120 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:07 pm »

Solitaire and minesweeper it is!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31121 on: January 07, 2014, 01:11:48 am »

Solitaire and minesweeper it is!
See if you can beat my grandpa's 12,000-win streak in Freecell.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31122 on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:54 am »

If that number is more-or-less accurate, your grandpa needs a hobby.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31123 on: January 07, 2014, 03:24:45 am »

Like beating Freecell? :P

I was most disappointed when I didn't have solitaire when I installed Windows 7. Found out about 2 years later that Windows deactivates those games by default for some odd reason, possibly linked to trying to improve productivity.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #31124 on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:25 am »

As if Solitaire was the chief reason productivity is low ...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 2073 2074 [2075] 2076 2077 ... 3345