Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3423534 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FICO ME? I FICO YOU!!! Edition
« Reply #31530 on: January 14, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »

Now, me, I don't care. So long as your deviations from the standards don't create ambiguity in the intended context of your writing, and demonstrate the appropriate level of professionalism for the task at hand, do what you like.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31531 on: January 14, 2014, 01:57:08 pm »

Re: English

I don't care. Just spell it how you see it in the dictionary. If the dictionary-writers change the spelling to match what people use, it means the great shivering, sweating mass of people failed to learn how to spell correctly. The population failed so badly that they changed a part of their language.

If the spelling shifts towards some semblance of what is actually pronounced, then I call it a victory for sanity.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31532 on: January 14, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »

My Inorganic Chemistry professor. Seriously. I'm studying biotechnology. HOW ON EARTH IS MAKING ME MEMORIZE THE CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF COINS, OR OF THE PIG FUCKING IRON AND METHODS OF ITS PURIFICATION, OR BLOODY CHRONOLOGY OF TURN OF THE FUCKING CENTURY CHEMISTRY FUCKING RELEVANT?!

Those are all taken from the sample questions for the final exam he gave us. Oh, and multiple counts of 'eco-warriors' being used non-ironically throughout the questions pertaining to ecology, plus one question where you have to either deny that nonrenewable resources are going to run out at some point in the future or lose a point. Yeah.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31533 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:44 pm »

-snip-
plus one question where you have to either deny that nonrenewable resources are going to run out at some point in the future or lose a point. Yeah.
-snip-

"Non-renewable resources will never, ever run out.  Lions and pandas are not endangered.  The holocaust never happened."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31534 on: January 14, 2014, 02:14:17 pm »

Was invoking godwin's law really called for? I mean, he may be a jackass, but that might be jumping the gun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31535 on: January 14, 2014, 02:33:25 pm »

Whether you agree, disagree or didn't actually read his post, let's NOT get in the habit of characterizing other posters, shall we?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31536 on: January 14, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »

"9/11 was an inside job" then.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31537 on: January 14, 2014, 03:06:37 pm »

Alternatively, print the URL of your academic institution's reporting page.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31538 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:18 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/tech/beats-headphones-audio-market/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

I like how CNN has basically become a marketing shill for the iPhone and other like products. Every day there is at least one "story" about a product that, if you read between the lines, comes straight out of a marketing press release.

And seriously, Beats changed the industry? Were none of these people alive in the late 80s and 90s when people used stereo headphones? All they've done is make a eye-gouging plastic shell for it and put it on some celebrities. There's nothing new or revolutionary about full-size headphones. "Oh but they've increased the market for quality headphones." No, they capitalized on the market and are now trying to convince every schmuck with an MP3 player that big headphones are cool again.

Then again, I'm sure there's a % of CNN's staff that believes head phones started with earbuds.

If tomorrow the Atlantic ocean swallowed the eastern seaboard, I'd consider the biggest perk that it took CNN off the map. Forget their politics. They're arguably as bad as Fox now for what they're doing to actual journalism.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:58:10 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #31539 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/tech/beats-headphones-audio-market/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Kelley Zapata loves her Beats.
The University of Georgia junior first got a pair of Beats by Dre Studio headphones for Christmas in 2008. They were a revelation, she says, especially for someone used to Apple earbuds.
"I was blown away," she recalls. She's since invested in two more.
She's not alone. The audio company's lower-case "b" is ubiquitous on the ears of listeners across the country, seen on celebrities -- Lil Wayne at a Lakers game, Katie Holmes on a movie set -- and college students.

It's like they're not even trying o.O

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31540 on: January 14, 2014, 04:01:56 pm »

Every time I seem someone with gigantic headphones I hearken back to a (gasp) MTV commercial:

It's a picture of this lanky, hipster looking dude with giant headphones on, walking through a highschool hallway like he's in another world. His eyes are glazed over, he's staring the floor and people are constantly shouldering in to him, and he never looks up. The commercial starts with the word "less" floating through it, finally coalescing into the complete word "Spineless" by the end of the commercial.

I don't even remember what it was promoting, but it stuck with me. Fast forward to today, where headphone commercials are all about "hearing what you want." The implication being, through the commercial (some controversial athlete walking through a crowd screaming obscenities at him and smiling because he has his headphones on), that you should simply ignore reality in favor of what you'd like to believe is true.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:35:28 pm by nenjin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31541 on: January 14, 2014, 04:15:35 pm »

Dropped my rice in the sink as I was draining it.. .the sink full of dirty dishwater.

Fuuuuuuuuuuu----
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31542 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:12 pm »

That's the way of mass social media now. Nothing is "found" until it's mainstream. The fact there are half a dozen companies out there making quality products for audiophiles for a decade doesn't mean squat, because it's not a runaway commercial success or a cultural phenomena. But when it is....suddenly it's "new" and "changing things." The media has become like an overactive teenager who is convinced they uncovered something amazing, even though it's old, has come and has gone. Like when someone rediscovered bell bottom jeans and thought they were moving fashion forward by wearing them and calling them cool, again.

It's all the language of the marketer, and I despise it. Particularly because I was educated against ALL THIS SHIT in college and my years since have just seen it all come to the fore.

I still remember the class where they told us "You're going to get dozens of marketing press releases a day. Dozens. You have to filter each one, take out what they want to say and replace it with what needs to be said. Because the industry is trying to game you and the profession. Don't let them."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:37:24 pm by nenjin »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31543 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

-snip-

What class was this?  I need to find where this is offered and send it to all of my relatives/close friends/random people on the street.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31544 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »

Music tends to be fantasies straight from the hearts (and loins) or star-eyed lovers or hardedge thugs.

Clearly you're not listening to enough good music.

And if we're talking about pop, those aren't even fantasies anymore, fantasies imply a degree of originality - those are cliches by now, just recycled over and over, and no wonder since three quarters of the singers uses a professional songwriter. Singular fully intended.

I seem to recall that a ridiculous percent of mainstream pop are written by a single person. And all of those are following pretty much one or two themes and chord progressions so formulaic I literally could write the melody for any of these given a key in five minutes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 ... 3345